Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
She may indeed Andrew, and I truly hope she does. I believe the world needs more hatters and I'm delighted to see this trend amongst the younger generations to recapture old skills and fine craftsmanship. I started making hats with fewer tools than she has and made some pretty decent hats right out of the gate, however, not being a master hatter, I didn't bring them to market at master hatter prices. That's just me, though. I think she should charge whatever she feels is appropriate for her product. The market will respond, one way or the other. Success is not just an American dream, but a dream shared by passionate entrepreneurs the world over.

I’ve given her some refurbishment work just to see what she can do. Her prices for new sweatbands, ribbons, etc. is a bit over market, but not terrible. I really like supporting new hatters, but I’m a believer in the free market and getting paid what your work is worth. I’m not giving her any reblocking work since she doesn’t have a block my size (she claims she can do it without a block in my size, but I’m not buying it).

I spoke with her again while dropping off a hat for work. She is enthusiastic, but she doesn’t seem to know much about hats. She wasn’t familiar with VS, BSHW, Gannon, NW, etc. she also had never heard of Tonak or FEPSA and thought that Winchester was the only source for fur felt. She didn’t know what a roan sweatband was and she had never heard of petersham (I wanted to make sure the new ribbon wasn’t petersham). I handed her a modern rabbit Borsalino and after handling it she asked if it was wool. Her market is obviously not hat enthusiasts.

As to her prices, part of the new hatter’s conundrum is the lack of specialized tools. This necessitates doing more by hand and spending more time getting it done. The result is a greater cost in time/money and a lower quality hat since hat tools and equipment not only decrease the time they also produce better results. It’s a good reason why starting part time while having a steady “other” income while learning the craft and accumulating tools is a winning strategy.

I wish her luck, but I’m not even considering commissioning a hat from her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

humanshoes

One Too Many
I’ve given her some refurbishment work just to see what she can do. Her prices for new sweatbands, ribbons, etc. is a bit over market, but not terrible. I really like supporting new hatters, but I’m a believer in the free market and getting paid what your work is worth. I’m not giving her any reblocking work since she doesn’t have a block my size (she claims she can do it without a block in my size, but I’m not buying it).

I spoke with her again while dropping off a hat for work. She is enthusiastic, but she doesn’t seem to know much about hats. She wasn’t familiar with VS, BSHW, Gannon, NW, etc. she also had never heard of Tonak or FEPSA and thought that Winchester was the only source for fur felt. She didn’t know what a roan sweatband was and she had never heard of petersham (I wanted to make sure the new ribbon wasn’t petersham). I handed her a modern rabbit Borsalino and after handling it she asked if it was wool. Her market is obviously not hat enthusiasts.

As to her prices, part of the new hatter’s conundrum is the lack of specialized tools. This necessitates doing more by hand and spending more time getting it done. The result is a greater cost in time/money and a lower quality hat since hat tools and equipment not only decrease the time they also produce better results. It’s a good reason why starting part time while having a steady “other” income while learning the craft and accumulating tools is a winning strategy.

H. G. Wells said it best in this quote, "Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative."

...I spoke with her again while dropping off a hat for work. She is enthusiastic, but she doesn’t seem to know much about hats. She wasn’t familiar with VS, BSHW, Gannon, NW, etc. she also had never heard of Tonak or FEPSA and thought that Winchester was the only source for fur felt. She didn’t know what a roan sweatband was and she had never heard of petersham (I wanted to make sure the new ribbon wasn’t petersham). I handed her a modern rabbit Borsalino and after handling it she asked if it was wool. Her market is obviously not hat enthusiasts...
"There's a sucker born every minute." :rolleyes:

Andrew friedhofen

New in Town
Perfect example of the marketplace responding to hard earned knowledge, experience, and quality of craftsmanship. If he were a novice cue maker asking 5K for his early efforts then they'd probably be having the same discussion about him over on the Pool Cue Lounge...or wherever it is those guys hang out.
That's right. His early cues could be bought for a couple hundred or so. But they became progressively more expensive.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure she yet understands or appreciates the value of what an apprenticeship in a decent hat shop could do for both her short term and long term goals if she is really set on becoming a master hatter.

I'm not sure she yet understands or appreciates the value of what an apprenticeship in a decent hat shop could do for both her short term and long term goals if she is really set on becoming a master hatter.

Agreed. A felt hat is a deceptively simple thing with just a few parts. The devil is in the details, and the difference between a novice’s attempt and a master’s work is huge!

Agreed. A felt hat is a deceptively simple thing with just a few parts. The devil is in the details, and the difference between a novice’s attempt and a master’s work is huge!

Yes, the difference between a novice and a master is a chasm. I repeat the story of my wife finding a men's style hat at a local milliner's shop during last year's art crawl here in town. The hat was rabbit felt, crudely formed and pounced, no sweat, no liner. My wife loved the style of the hat and I had a hard time convincing her that she should NOT buy the hat. The milliner was charging a price equal to that of many of the master hatters here in the Lounge. I assume the milliner made a living as she had a shop but damn it was a sorry excuse for a hat. She now is the proud owner of a real hat made by Rick at Phoenix based on the pics I took of the hat. I just could not allow that milliner's hat in my house.

cozy d

Familiar Face
Ok, this just happened...

I've been huntin for years and it's finally mine! I found it on ebay, an old, I'm guessing 1920's, Stetson wide brim thin ribbon pencil curl black hat. It looks like the felt would be stiff but its not, the felt feels light and very soft, but also very malleable. It will hold any shape without steam. As you can see the felt is very dusty but I'm not seeing any other imperfections in it. The sweat is also very dusty, I put the hat on for a moment and you can see where the dust came off the brow of the sweat. The hat looks amazing in its current dusty state, but a good brushing and I'm guessing the felt will look like new again. So what the heck do I do now? Do I dare clean it up? The thing I'm most nervous about is the sweatband. Aside from the dust, the leather seems to be in good shape but I've been burned by that assumption before. Also, the front of the sweat is loose. The "v" stitching near the reed looks good all the way around but the front is a bit out of place. I've included a picture which shows the threads holding it on. Is the loose stiching evidence of a previous repair? Anyone know how these were originally sewed in? Usually I'd be unable to resist brushing and steaming but in this case, I'm not going to do a thing before hearing from you guys first! Thanks for any knowledgeable advice you care to give. Cheers, D
26d7b609247d716b89d26bd63bcb97e0.jpg
d5d5755061149b62b5795a6386305bc8.jpg
0d2a91444208f1022a5b4c1d63d715d7.jpg
fd478b92622f8de00aa48c212ee6a903.jpg
ca40370dcac055f6cc3c81adb021ab8e.jpg
31c1f98b2c53063b0acfc7f27906cd3c.jpg
c9bbdb79f23ecb7b4943d8465df89f91.jpg
a32c80974cf36ad21120747e7d8130f7.jpg
28ed7af2c18d00f49edb0386725e766d.jpg
125c746790676ce3e1a876396b0b1d87.jpg
9004ca41580d1fb46d51eb294ae1b1e2.jpg
8b8edbd1b9f9f74e55916014e98cd26f.jpg
b77e9b68dd7f1c606f9ad49b6221dfde.jpg
52aa180ed6ca9f874061c8073823353b.jpg
408e53a4417afef75f6327610d8652b8.jpg
ed4a23adcda9fa8e9579233ec9416ce2.jpg
4ba28eb6042c46b80875519e6e42b54e.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

cd, I followed that hat as it sold and am glad someone here picked it up. Great hat. Typically but not always, the leather in the sweats of these old ones hold up well and though dusty, that one looks to be in fair shape. I wouldn't hesitate to wipe it down with a damp cloth to clean it and a light conditioning if I felt it needed it. I use Bick 4 but there are other conditioners out there and threads to debate them on.

It appears to me that where the stitching is loose, the backing material of the sweat and where it covers the reed is breaking down also, the thread attaching the sweat to the hat may break down as well. I cant't judge from the pics if there are any repairs that can be made or would be worth attempting. The ribbon would have to be removed to repair or replace the sweat and those can sometimes be fragile.

If it were mine and it could be worn as is, I'd deal with sweat as best I could then I would steam and brush the hat, taking care to keep the steam away from the sweat, vacuum with a soft brush if needed. Shape it and wear it.

cd, I followed that hat as it sold and am glad someone here picked it up. Great hat. Typically but not always, the leather in the sweats of these old ones hold up well and though dusty, that one looks to be in fair shape. I wouldn't hesitate to wipe it down with a damp cloth to clean it and a light conditioning if I felt it needed it. I use Bick 4 but there are other conditioners out there and threads to debate them on.

It appears to me that where the stitching is loose, the backing material of the sweat and where it covers the reed is breaking down also, the thread attaching the sweat to the hat may break down as well. I cant't judge from the pics if there are any repairs that can be made or would be worth attempting. The ribbon would have to be removed to repair or replace the sweat and those can sometimes be fragile.

If it were mine and it could be worn as is, I'd deal with sweat as best I could then I would steam and brush the hat, taking care to keep the steam away from the sweat, vacuum with a soft brush if needed. Shape it and wear it.

All good advice. I would expect the felt body to clean up like new with vacuuming, brushing and steaming. The sweatband is likely in good shape too. As Greg notes, the ribbon would need to be removed to restitch the reed tape to the hat. I have used a few drops of Fabri-Tac (you can find it at Joann Fabric) to hold a loose reed to the hat body. It is an effective fix for wearability that is easily reversible with a little acetone should you want to restore the hat down the road.

Congratulations on your find!

I am heading to Dublin, Ireland in a couple of days. Anyone know of a hat shop in the city or nearby? I would really like to pick up a nice flat cap made with Irish tweed.

Sent from my SM-J737U using Tapatalk
I have two Newsboys in Donegal tweed picked up in Dublin. Both were bought in either men's shops or shops that sold "Irish Goods"... linens, scarfs and shawls etc. I recall seeing the caps sold in many many places.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I have two Newsboys in Donegal tweed picked up in Dublin. Both were bought in either men's shops or shops that sold "Irish Goods"... linens, scarfs and shawls etc. I recall seeing the caps sold in many many places.
Thanks for the information. I also found a shop called Kevin & Howlin that I want to checkout while I am there.

Sent from my SM-J737U using Tapatalk

cozy d

Familiar Face
All good advice. I would expect the felt body to clean up like new with vacuuming, brushing and steaming. The sweatband is likely in good shape too. As Greg notes, the ribbon would need to be removed to restitch the reed tape to the hat. I have used a few drops of Fabri-Tac (you can find it at Joann Fabric) to hold a loose reed to the hat body. It is an effective fix for wearability that is easily reversible with a little acetone should you want to restore the hat down the road.

Congratulations on your find!

Thanks alanfgag for the Fabri-Tac suggestion. My initial thoughts are that removing the ribbon to restitch may be more trouble than it's worth and I don't know anyone local I can trust to do the job. The stitches are still holding the sweat in but loosely enough that the integrity has been compromised. I feel like my first priority should be to secure the sweat before doing anything else. How should I use the Fabri-Tac? I've never tried that before. Just a few drops right at the point where the reed meets the felt? As you can see, there's about 7 inches worth of sweatband that is currently loose and out of position. Would I need to run a bead of that stuff? Any other alternatives to consider?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
C3BB6CC5-F042-454B-9DB9-B2A16AF8E5D3.jpeg
9E69EA09-EA08-45FA-BC24-CF1292968F57.jpeg
35C30FAA-DBB1-4023-84D3-CC08DFF4528D.jpeg
FBC592F9-F313-47B1-8A43-C7FC8EA4D8E0.jpeg
94D7F87A-6BAC-4BB2-B7A0-C7B88AEF3BB5.jpeg
Ok, this just happened...

I've been huntin for years and it's finally mine! I found it on ebay, an old, I'm guessing 1920's, Stetson wide brim thin ribbon pencil curl black hat. It looks like the felt would be stiff but its not, the felt feels light and very soft, but also very malleable. It will hold any shape without steam. As you can see the felt is very dusty but I'm not seeing any other imperfections in it. The sweat is also very dusty, I put the hat on for a moment and you can see where the dust came off the brow of the sweat. The hat looks amazing in its current dusty state, but a good brushing and I'm guessing the felt will look like new again. So what the heck do I do now? Do I dare clean it up? The thing I'm most nervous about is the sweatband. Aside from the dust, the leather seems to be in good shape but I've been burned by that assumption before. Also, the front of the sweat is loose. The "v" stitching near the reed looks good all the way around but the front is a bit out of place. I've included a picture which shows the threads holding it on. Is the loose stiching evidence of a previous repair? Anyone know how these were originally sewed in? Usually I'd be unable to resist brushing and steaming but in this case, I'm not going to do a thing before hearing from you guys first! Thanks for any knowledgeable advice you care to give. Cheers, D
26d7b609247d716b89d26bd63bcb97e0.jpg
d5d5755061149b62b5795a6386305bc8.jpg
0d2a91444208f1022a5b4c1d63d715d7.jpg
fd478b92622f8de00aa48c212ee6a903.jpg
ca40370dcac055f6cc3c81adb021ab8e.jpg
31c1f98b2c53063b0acfc7f27906cd3c.jpg
c9bbdb79f23ecb7b4943d8465df89f91.jpg
a32c80974cf36ad21120747e7d8130f7.jpg
28ed7af2c18d00f49edb0386725e766d.jpg
125c746790676ce3e1a876396b0b1d87.jpg
9004ca41580d1fb46d51eb294ae1b1e2.jpg
8b8edbd1b9f9f74e55916014e98cd26f.jpg
b77e9b68dd7f1c606f9ad49b6221dfde.jpg
52aa180ed6ca9f874061c8073823353b.jpg
408e53a4417afef75f6327610d8652b8.jpg
ed4a23adcda9fa8e9579233ec9416ce2.jpg
4ba28eb6042c46b80875519e6e42b54e.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Yes yes yes and Hell yes!!
Most interesting felt i have ever felt. Stays like a good dog! Very happy for you.
What to do with it?? Well, if i had another one i’d make it perfect. Until then, they are only who and what they are once, so mine stays...like a good dog! Pics say it all. Note the paw prints.
B
Ps: wonder what the Lot# is on that one cause it’s an old one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko