Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I was considering the Stetson Stratoliner SE True Blue, but I am not sure about the crossover band:
SEstratolinerblue1_1024x1024_149a12db-3fbe-4110-bf84-7efe690fa82a_1200x.jpg

I recently found the Stetson Lassiter, which uses a standard Grosgrain band in the same color scheme:

LASSITER-Stetson-Hats-Navy.jpg

However, this is a wool felt fedora, and it is unlined. I would prefer a fur felt hat, with lining. Does anyone know of any other Stetson fedoras in this color? Or, if someone would make a convincing argument for the wool felt hat. Thanks.

dkstott

Practically Family
There's nothing wrong with owning a wool felt hat. It's just that they won't last as long as a fur felt hat.

That Lassiter hat is a sharp looking hat.

Another option might be to purchase the Stratoliner SE and have the ribbon replaced to match the Lassiter.

Several hat stores such as JJ Hat's in NYC will do it.

I was considering the Stetson Stratoliner SE True Blue, but I am not sure about the crossover band:

I recently found the Stetson Lassiter, which uses a standard Grosgrain band in the same color scheme:

However, this is a wool felt fedora, and it is unlined. I would prefer a fur felt hat, with lining. Does anyone know of any other Stetson fedoras in this color? Or, if someone would make a convincing argument for the wool felt hat. Thanks.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
There's nothing wrong with owning a wool felt hat. It's just that they won't last as long as a fur felt hat.

That Lassiter hat is a sharp looking hat.

Another option might be to purchase the Stratoliner SE and have the ribbon replaced to match the Lassiter.

Several hat stores such as JJ Hat's in NYC will do it.

Thanks. Just ordered the Lassiter from Delmonico Hatter.

I like the thin grosgrain ribbon on the Stratoliner. Lots of wool hats are sold every year, but I think you’ll be much happier with fur felt.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I like the thin grosgrain ribbon on the Stratoliner. Lots of wool hats are sold every year, but I think you’ll be much happier with fur felt.

I'll post my first impressions here when it arrives. I doubt that I would find a matching ribbon to change the Stratoliner band if I had bought it, since the color is unique. I believe mismatched colors would bother me more. Plus, I can purchase my own liners.

georgie girl

One of the Regulars
I have a question for the hat makers here: what is the difference in amount of felt per size? I'm trying to figure out how much I will lose on brim size, getting a hat sized up about 2 sizes and whether it's worth my while. The original brim is 3"... Thanks

I have a question for the hat makers here: what is the difference in amount of felt per size? I'm trying to figure out how much I will lose on brim size, getting a hat sized up about 2 sizes and whether it's worth my while. The original brim is 3"... Thanks

I think it can vary depending on things like thickness, density, and the like. However, there probably is at least a rule of thumb.

All due respect to Joe, but Max "knows a guy," he doesn't do it.

So I'll send the bat signal out for @T Jones. I think he can give you some advice.

I think it can vary depending on things like thickness, density, and the like. However, there probably is at least a rule of thumb.

All due respect to Joe, but Max "knows a guy," he doesn't do it.

So I'll send the bat signal out for @T Jones. I think he can give you some advice.
Fair enough. I didn’t say he does it... he has had it done for him on more than one occasion and figured he could offer some insight.

but yes Terry would be a go to guy here as well

Last edited:

There’s actually more variables then you might be aware of. I’m no expert, but I dabble with hat mods and I’m often surprised.

example: Here is a 6 7/8 Borsalino (rabbit fur felt) with a 5 1/2” crown and 3 1/2” brim. It’s on a 7 5/8 block that’s 6” tall and has less taper: all things that use felt. The brim break isn’t set yet, but I’m going to end up with a brim of about 3 1/4 inches! I was shocked that I’m not losing more brim width. However when the stripped felt went onto the block I could feel the felt...giving. Not separating, but thinning and stretching. Rather than taking the felt from the brim it just thinned the crown. I’ve done several of these Borsalinos and they all do this. It’s also shocking to see and feel how easy it is to get these small Borsalinos to slide onto a block many times bigger than their original size. Not so other felts. You can quite literally rip the brim off some hats trying to get them to size up.

As found:

3B2F0F0C-3DBF-4165-AE72-26FF2A6B27BB.jpeg
00B6BDDA-A020-41AE-9046-5FB06BE986CC.jpeg

On my block:

B7E6963D-3D51-46A2-81F1-E348BE90AAC0.jpeg

Just remember the fourth law of hattingdynamics: felt can be neither created or destroyed: it has to come from somewhere and it has to go somewhere. :)

I have limited experience but in my experience it depends on the amount of stretch in the felt. I upsize a 7 1/8" vintage Borsa to 7 5/8 and lost nothing in the brim. When I gave it the naptha bath it reverted to a capeline so it was like starting from scratch. I have upsized for myself from 7 1/4 to 7 3/8 and not lost any brim as well.

I have also been in a custom hatter's shop chatting while he reblocked a vintage fedora and the felt ripped like a pair of pants on a fat guy.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
You lose or gain 3 mm per size, or about1/8 if an inch. @Just Daniel and I figured it out mathematically, but sometimes an experienced hatter, like our Ignacio,can stretch or even shrink the felt when reblocking it, unless the felt is too dense, like in a 50 or 100 hat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points