Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt_SFL

Familiar Face
What’s the brim size of this fedora ? looking to buy similar
9C7DFEEF-A28D-4E2E-B292-94C3741EC89A.jpeg
A84C878C-2C34-4320-805B-98E2C67F3A4E.jpeg

FlyFishing

New in Town
I know they are a newer style than what this page is for, but does anyone know the difference between the Resistol 707, 880, 990, and 737? I have a 707 and 880 in hand in near mint condition and the only difference I can pick up is color and liner and one is 5x the other 3x. Everything else seems identical to my untrained eye. The 737 I have is new in box with the original $22 price tag still on it, and the major difference is the crease of the crown. I've not had a 990 in hand but from pictures it looks the same as the others.

Thank you!

FlyFishing

New in Town
I know they are a newer style than what this page is for, but does anyone know the difference between the Resistol 707, 880, 990, and 737? I have a 707 and 880 in hand in near mint condition and the only difference I can pick up is color and liner and one is 5x the other 3x. Everything else seems identical to my untrained eye. The 737 I have is new in box with the original $22 price tag still on it, and the major difference is the crease of the crown. I've not had a 990 in hand but from pictures it looks the same as the others.

Thank you!

Forgot to add the 737 is also 5x and they are all kitten finish (it seems all their fedoras were in the 60s and 70s).

jdouglasj

Familiar Face
My question is, what determines whether a hat is stiff or soft?

I have purchased hats from a couple of custom shops. In one shop, all the fedoras are crushable. They have the look and feel like so many fedoras in old films, which never look stiff. But in shops that specialize in cowboy hats, the fedoras this second shop sells are much more rigid, and in that sense more like a cowboy hat.

Both shops are working with the same 100% beaver.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

I have purchased hats from a couple of custom shops. In one shop, all the fedoras are crushable. They have the look and feel like so many fedoras in old films, which never look stiff. But in shops that specialize in cowboy hats, the fedoras this second shop sells are much more rigid, and in that sense more like a cowboy hat.

Shellac.

There are two different weight classes of beaver felt....dress weight which fedoras are made from and then the heavier western weight for the western market. I may be off by a bit but dress weight is usually around 140 grams while western weight anywhere from 180 to 220 grams. As well western hats are made to be more robust, hard wearing and durable in the odd chance they are actually used out on the range where the get the crap beat out of them. Then as others suggest is the question of shellac. Stiffness/hand of the felt is something that each individual hatter brings to the art & craft of his hat making. And to complicate the issue there is the stiffness of the felt itself as it comes from the factory. It can vary from batch to batch.

Matt_SFL

Familiar Face
Can someone give me a list of websites to buy fedoras from cuz I’m tired of always using the same ones...just was wondering what others are using that I might not know about thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy