Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impala5513

New in Town
Some additional photos

Attachments

• F0454D5C-63D4-45EA-A9AB-F967CF913F66.jpeg
    F0454D5C-63D4-45EA-A9AB-F967CF913F66.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 147
  • 07F84EC0-B904-4714-A572-35679DCB8A74.jpeg
    07F84EC0-B904-4714-A572-35679DCB8A74.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 301
  • E54E5DE3-DD52-4869-8647-5661CB5EA932.jpeg
    E54E5DE3-DD52-4869-8647-5661CB5EA932.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 293
  • F62EE303-F336-436E-8D44-F38457338C9F.jpeg
    F62EE303-F336-436E-8D44-F38457338C9F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 325
  • 1A3767CB-EC7C-4F8F-A77C-B669985C7F46.jpeg
    1A3767CB-EC7C-4F8F-A77C-B669985C7F46.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 301
  • 76A688E1-F863-4402-B452-8B2D12743D98.jpeg
    76A688E1-F863-4402-B452-8B2D12743D98.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 295
  • BFEB6AA3-4D8A-4F0A-90D8-573EF8321B85.jpeg
    BFEB6AA3-4D8A-4F0A-90D8-573EF8321B85.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 273
Some additional photos
It is very difficult to accurately gauge sizes to the 1/4" from a photo. What width is the Bailey brim, what height is the crown? Do you want it wider or narrower, taller/shorter? What DO you like about it? The dark coloured hat you show has a fairly steep packer tilt to the front and back brim giving it an Aussie Outback look to it, is that OK? He is dead now but Mark at Havens Bros Hats had a style he called "The Crossover"...not quite western not quite fedora. Perhaps Mike at NW will have some pics of his version of that. He made one for me that I love. It has a 2 3/4"" brim and a 4 3/4" crown height at the front.
In terms of colour: to what use will you be putting the hat? Is it an outdoors/hiking hat? Wearing it in the sun and heat? Are you a heavy sweat guy? Do you want it to stay nice or are you OK with it getting that 'lived in' look?

So, a little while ago I posted about wanting a specific hat that’s akin to the stalker hat from red dead redemption 2. I’m going to be working with Mike from North wear hats to facilitate this, but because I’m extremely pedantic, I wanted to make sure that I could give him very exact specifications.
In that pursuit, I bought a hat from Bailey hats recently (because it is literally the only tear drop no pinch crown hat I have found)
Looking for some opinions. Which color is better? (I’ll post the intended hat for reference)
Any thoughts on brim width? I’m thinking to get the right look 3 1’4” with a 4 1’4 crown height
What I don’t want to have happen, is have it come out looking fedora-esque. Likewise, I don’t love the brim on the Bailey hat. I’m really looking for a cross look. Kinda half western, half not, if that makes sense.

86251103-3443-4CA9-87AE-7A17E4299F15.jpeg

It looks a lot like the Stetson Revenger.

Brim and crown dimensions need to change based on the size of the hat to look proportional. A 3” brim will look like a fedora on my big head, but it will look like a wide brim western on someone with a size 6 3/4 head. Mike at Northwest is a skilled hatter and if you’ve given him all the photos he should be able to duplicate it.

Color is such a personal choice. I really like greens, but not everyone does. Black is always safe.

Impala5513

New in Town
It is very difficult to accurately gauge sizes to the 1/4" from a photo. What width is the Bailey brim, what height is the crown? Do you want it wider or narrower, taller/shorter? What DO you like about it? The dark coloured hat you show has a fairly steep packer tilt to the front and back brim giving it an Aussie Outback look to it, is that OK? He is dead now but Mark at Havens Bros Hats had a style he called "The Crossover"...not quite western not quite fedora. Perhaps Mike at NW will have some pics of his version of that. He made one for me that I love. It has a 2 3/4"" brim and a 4 3/4" crown height at the front.
In terms of colour: to what use will you be putting the hat? Is it an outdoors/hiking hat? Wearing it in the sun and heat? Are you a heavy sweat guy? Do you want it to stay nice or are you OK with it getting that 'lived in' look?
The Bailey hat has a 4 1/4 crown, and a 3 1/2'' brim, but that's if you measure from the front. If you were to measure the distance on the sides, it would be about 3 1/8th due to the curl. In regards to the packer tilt, I would prefer it if it was much slighter. This is too pronounced for me.

Do you have pics of the Crossover hat you are referring to, or the one that Mike made for you? I would be very interested in seeing that.

The Bailey hat has a 4 1/4 crown, and a 3 1/2'' brim, but that's if you measure from the front. If you were to measure the distance on the sides, it would be about 3 1/8th due to the curl. In regards to the packer tilt, I would prefer it if it was much slighter. This is too pronounced for me.

Do you have pics of the Crossover hat you are referring to, or the one that Mike made for you? I would be very interested in seeing that.
The Moss green is the one Mike @NWHatsmade for me. The one below it is an Havens Bros in Granite. Both beaver. The Havens Bros is more western in appearance as the sides are slightly upturned and the brim is the full 3" whereas Mike's hat has a slight downturn on the brim all around. Both have pinches and a centre dent. rather than the telescope.
CIMG0073.JPG
CIMG0074.JPG

Samson25

Familiar Face
Hello Loungers and lurkers, here is my question :
Would any of you accept such a delivery?
Backstory: after waiting for nealy a month and a half ( with priority/ Express delivery EMS ) I was presented today with this crushed and ripped box...
I could easily stick my hand into the rip.
This was to be my Campdraft in Bluegrass green.
I rejected accepting it- unopened.
This has nothing to do with the seller, who has been excellent in supporting Me through the purchase process and the shipping/ tracking process !
EMS#1.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
Hello Loungers and lurkers, here is my question :
Would any of you accept such a delivery?
Backstory: after waiting for nealy a month and a half ( with priority/ Express delivery EMS ) I was presented today with this crushed and ripped box...
I could stick my hand into the rip.
This was to be my Campdraft in Bluegrass green.
I rejected accepting it- unopened.
This has nothing to do with the seller, who has been excellent in supporting Me through the purchase process and the shipping/ tracking process !
View attachment 386702
Honestly, this is just unthinkable here in Japan.

Samson25

Familiar Face
After DHL took over from Australia Post (EMS), the DHL delivery person at my door even mentioned that prior to bringing this to Me, DHL registered it as damaged. And yet DHL thought I would eccept something like this. I will more than likely try again...after the holiday delivery chaos has ended....Maybe in February.

Last edited:
After DHL took over from Australia Post (EMS), the DHL delivery person at my door even mentioned that prior to bringing this to Me, DHL registered it as damaged. And yet DHL thought I would eccept something like this. I will more than likely try again...after the holiday delivery chaos has ended....Maybe in February.
If it has been documented as 'damaged' why can't you open it up to see if the hat itself has damage? It might only be minor that a shot of steam can fix. Why put yourself through the hassle of returning it then waiting for the replacement when perhaps you don't have to wait. The hat might be fine???

Samson25

Familiar Face
Wasn't about to pay import duties and taxes just to look inside the box,
But that's just Me and where I live.
I am counting on a speedy refund.
If it has been documented as 'damaged' why can't you open it up to see if the hat itself has damage? It might only be minor that a shot of steam can fix. Why put yourself through the hassle of returning it then waiting for the replacement when perhaps you don't have to wait. The hat might be fine???

Last edited:

Samson25

Familiar Face
The seller was compensated for the purchase and for the (extra) safe delivery. This will not take long, and not be a hassle.
In the mean time I ordered my first custom. So, still looking forward to something being in the works.
but you still have to wait for a replacement hat? If it is DHL that is issuing the refund......maybe not that speedy.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The seller was compensated for the purchase and for the (extra) safe delivery. This will not take long, and not be a hassle.
In the mean time I ordered my first custom. So, still looking forward to something being in the works.

Welcome to the FL, Samson25. Sorry to hear about the DHL mishap with your purchase. Your perseverance is to be applauded.

Looking forward to seeing your custom order in the Post New Hats thread once it arrives.

Samson25

Familiar Face
Welcome to the FL, Samson25. Sorry to hear about the DHL mishap with your purchase. Your perseverance is to be applauded.

Looking forward to seeing your custom order in the Post New Hats thread once it arrives.
Hey Steve ! Thank You. I enjoy being here and learning from you and other contributers. Your imput, pictures...awesome!
I look forward to posting with pics, my first artisinal custom, (I am so stoked).
Will be in February, I'm guessing.
I purchased a Stylemaster (carbon) same place same priority shipping - door to door in 7 days ( AU to EU ). This experience was not nice but Hell....I am in sales so this isn't the end of the world. After the holidays shipping chaos season, yeah, gonna get Me my Campdraft !

Dude..."Hats off " to you.
That's impressive(ly ) damaged! ....Nope, call Me picky....but not for Me
I sent out a hat to a client and when he received it damned if it didn't look like a forklift had driven over it.....more than one time. The hat was smoooshed but a local hatter was gracious enough to steam it back to shape at no charge.....and the client graciously accepted the hat. I don't think any amount of packaging would have protected it but I do now ship in heavier weight cartons.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
So, a little while ago I posted about wanting a specific hat that’s akin to the stalker hat from red dead redemption 2. I’m going to be working with Mike from North wear hats to facilitate this, but because I’m extremely pedantic, I wanted to make sure that I could give him very exact specifications.
In that pursuit, I bought a hat from Bailey hats recently (because it is literally the only tear drop no pinch crown hat I have found)
Looking for some opinions. Which color is better? (I’ll post the intended hat for reference)
Any thoughts on brim width? I’m thinking to get the right look 3 1’4” with a 4 1’4 crown height
What I don’t want to have happen, is have it come out looking fedora-esque. Likewise, I don’t love the brim on the Bailey hat. I’m really looking for a cross look. Kinda half western, half not, if that makes sense.

Looks like two different types of Western style hats you're looking at. I agree though with Brent @deadlyhandsome that one of them is close to a Stetson Revenger.

Check out Clint Eastwood's Revenger in "High Plains Drifter". Might be the look you're looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider