Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hey, Zomb! Thanx for the info. The company has, apparently, been around since 1800! I think this specific model may have been discontinued, as I cannot find another one just like it. I appreciate you guiding me to the black version, which looks pretty much identical.
Mayser have been around since 1800. They're well known on the FL and well respected.
Check out the German and Austrian Hats thread, write Mayser in the search function. You'll find a ton of useful and interesting information, not to mention some wonderful photos.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Advice please. When I took off my bowler today, the sweat band seemed to stick to my forehead a bit more than usual. Upon further inspection, the sweat is coming away from the inside of the hat in several places. This is not entirely surprising as Stefan @steur had made me fully aware of the sweatband issues before purchase. But I am wondering what the best course of action is. Reattach the original sweatband? Replace it?
Peter @daizawaguy, I know you have recommended Metamorphosia before. How do you think they would handle this? Or should I send them photos and ask for advice?
Thanks in advance to Peter and Stefan and anyone else who can give me some advice. View attachment 409805 View attachment 409806 View attachment 409807 View attachment 409808
That's a bummer, Gary. If the original sweat in itself is OK, I'd keep it and just have it sown back in.

Lobo Rojo

New in Town
Thanks for the Google lookup info. By the shape of the square size tag and only in US size ( 7 3/8 but not 59), I think deadlyhandsome is right with the mid-60s to 70s. I'll know more soon when it arrives in the mail.
I have a friend who inherited this hat. It is a Stetson 3X purchased at the Disney store in the 1950s. Can anyone identify this hat? Note the unique binding around the brim. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• icm_fullxfull.427110316_kb62y1wx1a8wokgwokw8.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.427110316_kb62y1wx1a8wokgwokw8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • icm_fullxfull.427111128_83a5def17rswck84g00w.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.427111128_83a5def17rswck84g00w.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • icm_fullxfull.427120282_hpeyhjd1c80gkwgswggw.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.427120282_hpeyhjd1c80gkwgswggw.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 62
  • icm_fullxfull.431407745_k571zt4m4q8s8gscc4ok.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.431407745_k571zt4m4q8s8gscc4ok.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • icm_fullxfull.431408087_ru216o401mo4okwkcwoc.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.431408087_ru216o401mo4okwkcwoc.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • icm_fullxfull.431417493_63zzz660d4sgc44ccggk.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.431417493_63zzz660d4sgc44ccggk.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 57
I have a friend who inherited this hat. It is a Stetson 3X purchased at the Disney store in the 1950s. Can anyone identify this hat? Note the unique binding around the brim. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Early 50s is my WAG. The design of the hat with the whipstitch binding and felt ribbon treatment is what Stetson called a "Tijuana." It was a clone of a popular Dobbs hat called the "Gay Prince," with a similar stitching treatment. Several hat manufacturers made a version of this hat - I have one made by Champ.

It's a very nice hat and seems to be in good shape. I hope it fits your friend, it's a great piece of family history.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
What @Frunobulax said.

An aside: if your friend inherited any Disney hats from that store i’d be all over them. Treasure trove.

Also...super clean Tijuana!!
B

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
If the thread holes are torn or the sweat itself is cracked or broken, it may be beyond recovery. If this will be a regular wear hat, you may save yourself some aggravation by replacing the sweat with a new one.

Advice please. When I took off my bowler today, the sweat band seemed to stick to my forehead a bit more than usual. Upon further inspection, the sweat is coming away from the inside of the hat in several places. This is not entirely surprising as Stefan @steur had made me fully aware of the sweatband issues before purchase. But I am wondering what the best course of action is. Reattach the original sweatband? Replace it?
Peter @daizawaguy, I know you have recommended Metamorphosia before. How do you think they would handle this? Or should I send them photos and ask for advice?
Thanks in advance to Peter and Stefan and anyone else who can give me some advice. View attachment 409805 View attachment 409806 View attachment 409807 View attachment 409808

If the thread holes are torn or the sweat itself is cracked or broken, it may be beyond recovery. If this will be a regular wear hat, you may save yourself some aggravation by replacing the sweat with a new one.

I agree. It’s always sad to lose the original sweat with the markings, but as a practical matter a new sweatband often makes more sense. The older, rarer, or more valuable the hat to more likely I am to try to save the original.

Gary, @The Shoe your hat looks to have a reeded sweatband and the reed looks to have torn away. Maybe I’m not seeing what I think I’m seeing, but it looks to me like the sweatband is beyond saving.

Prydonian

New in Town
Hello! Does anyone know the best way to contact Bates Hats? I’ve been trying for weeks with no success. I’ve tried their site’s contact form (“we aim to respond within one day”), their Facebook page (“we aim to respond within three days”), their other Facebook page, their phone (straight to voicemail every time), their Instagram, their Twitter, and their YouTube channel, all to no response. I even tried calling the clothing shop they share space with, and the phone rings enedlessly. Are they perhaps closed due to the pandemic? It’s a bit frustrating.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hello! Does anyone know the best way to contact Bates Hats? I’ve been trying for weeks with no success. I’ve tried their site’s contact form (“we aim to respond within one day”), their Facebook page (“we aim to respond within three days”), their other Facebook page, their phone (straight to voicemail every time), their Instagram, their Twitter, and their YouTube channel, all to no response. I even tried calling the clothing shop they share space with, and the phone rings enedlessly. Are they perhaps closed due to the pandemic? It’s a bit frustrating.
Sounds strange. Everything is open again in the UK, so they shouldn't be closed due to covid.

Prydonian

New in Town
Sounds strange. Everything is open again in the UK, so they shouldn't be closed due to covid.
I thought so! I found a post from them from the summer announcing their re-opening, but it was all I could think of. They’re updating social media, and I can see they’ve read my Facebook messages, but… total silence. I don’t know if they’re just hugely busy, or if they prioritize in-store sales. I’m in the US, so there’s no way I can stop in.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I thought so! I found a post from them from the summer announcing their re-opening, but it was all I could think of. They’re updating social media, and I can see they’ve read my Facebook messages, but… total silence. I don’t know if they’re just hugely busy, or if they prioritize in-store sales. I’m in the US, so there’s no way I can stop in.
Could be they're not up to speed again due to lack of staff after all the lock downs. Then again, I'm not sure how good UK hatters are with their online service.

Norman Zelnick

New in Town
If I should be posting this in another forum kindly let me know. My question is if anyone here has any experience or thoughts/comments on Del Monico Hatter out of New Haven Connecticut? I understand they've been a family based business since 1908 making many of their hats and I just ordered their Del Monico Porkpie which looks nice and in my budget. Just wondering if anyone knows much more or any experience with them etc to share. Thank you

Robieman

A-List Customer
If I should be posting this in another forum kindly let me know. My question is if anyone here has any experience or thoughts/comments on Del Monico Hatter out of New Haven Connecticut? I understand they've been a family based business since 1908 making many of their hats and I just ordered their Del Monico Porkpie which looks nice and in my budget. Just wondering if anyone knows much more or any experience with them etc to share. Thank you
I’ve purchased three hats from them, maybe 3-4 years ago. They were good to work with and had good prices. I even called with a question once and spoke to Mr Delmonico. Very nice fellow.

I have purchased one hat from Del Monico's and it was a horrible experience!! Not their fault, though, as Stetson completely cocked up my order. Mr. Del Monico did everything to make it right, though. I think you're in good hands there.

Ok......what happened to the "Gallery View" for threads???????
It was a good way to review pictures posted in threads without going through all the "Chaff".....
(It also helped me with my threads so I could quickly review what I had posted so I did not double post something....especially important to otherwise EXTREMELY lengthy threads....)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok......what happened to the "Gallery View" for threads???????
It was a good way to review pictures posted in threads without going through all the "Chaff".....
(It also helped me with my threads so I could quickly review what I had posted so I did not double post something....especially important to otherwise EXTREMELY lengthy threads....)
On my phone, if you click on a picture you can toggle thru the photos in that thread. There just isn’t the screen at the bottom of the thread anymore.
Johnny

On my phone, if you click on a picture you can toggle thru the photos in that thread. There just isn’t the screen at the bottom of the thread anymore.
Johnny
All of them or just some of them? On the computer you only can see a few.......have not been able to scroll through more than 1/2 a dozen and in some cases none at all........

Last edited:
All of them or just some of them? On the computer you only can see a few.......have not been able to scroll through more than 1/2 a dozen and in some cases none at all........
On my laptop, once you click on a photo all of the other photos posted on that same page appear at the bottom of the screen, and you can click on them to review them at a larger size. BUT...that only applies to images that have been uploaded to The Lounge's servers. Images hosted offsite (Photobucket, Imgur, etc.) do not appear at the bottom of the screen with the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo