Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Anybody have any info on Appalachian Blues hat company (www.appalachiablues.com)? Located in Ashville, NC, Tyler Thomas shows some really nice stuff on his website but I've got no response to emails.

Anybody have any info on Appalachian Blues hat company (www.appalachiablues.com)? Located in Ashville, NC, Tyler Thomas shows some really nice stuff on his website but I've got no response to emails.
Can't say I've ever heard of Appalachian Blues Hat Company before today, but after perusing the site I noticed there was a notice on his "2022 Custom Hat Ordering" page that says, "*Customs currently delayed as I recover from a broken hand - thanks for understanding*", so he might have taken some time off.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Is everyone getting this this morning? "The Upload failed failed because the file could not be written to the server. The site administrator will need to resolve this..................":eek:
First time that happened to me.....computers and servers are above my pay grade.....by a LONG way.:oops:
I got it too, Mark, but it was soon remedied.

Mantis

Familiar Face
Howdy fellas,

I am starting my Hatter apprenticeship soon, and I was wondering if there are any “must read” books on hats and hat history. Also if there are any dedicated Western/cowboy hat books, that would be greatly appreciated.

Is everyone getting this this morning? "The Upload failed failed because the file could not be written to the server. The site administrator will need to resolve this..................":eek:
First time that happened to me.....computers and servers are above my pay grade.....by a LONG way.:oops:
I didn't get that one, but when I tried to access the site earlier this morning I got an error message that said something about all the resources being used (or some such) so I had to find an alternate source of entertainment. Good thing I had some laundry to do or I would have really been bored. :confused:

Good to see it back and going again!:)

Well....I had been gone a while...I thought my arrival back may have broke the site.....:eek::oops::oops::rolleyes:

Glad that does not seem to be the case....;)
Good to have you back Mark.

You absence was noticed and your return rejoiced.

D30B53C1-4AFA-4126-AB60-42B4B8983C99.gif

NewbieHatter

New in Town
Newbie here. I purchased a vintage open crown hat block without realizing that it had a string groove. As I plan on making simple flat brim hats, should I consider sanding down the bottom to get rid of the string groove? It’s only about 1/16 of an inch, I believe. Or is that a faux pas?

Newbie here. I purchased a vintage open crown hat block without realizing that it had a string groove. As I plan on making simple flat brim hats, should I consider sanding down the bottom to get rid of the string groove? It’s only about 1/16 of an inch, I believe. Or is that a faux pas?

Why don’t you want the groove? Regardless of the brim shape you’ll need to tie the felt onto the block. I don’t think the groove is necessary, but it shouldn’t hurt anything. What is your concern(s) with the groove?

NewbieHatter

New in Town
Why don’t you want the groove? Regardless of the brim shape you’ll need to tie the felt onto the block. I don’t think the groove is necessary, but it shouldn’t hurt anything. What is your concern(s) with the groove?
My string settles into the string groove (which is narrower than my block) so it creates an indent in my felt. It makes it more difficult to take the blocked felt off the block and also doesn’t allow for a crisp 90% angle between block and brim. I hope that makes sense. It’s difficult for me to describe!

My string settles into the string groove (which is narrower than my block) so it creates an indent in my felt. It makes it more difficult to take the blocked felt off the block and also doesn’t allow for a crisp 90% angle between block and brim. I hope that makes sense. It’s difficult for me to describe!

I have a few blocks, but I certainly don’t claim to be a hatter. None on my blocks have the groove. If it interferes with your process then why not modify it? I too insist on a sharp 90-degree brim break.

NewbieHatter

New in Town
I have a few blocks, but I certainly don’t claim to be a hatter. None on my blocks have the groove. If it interferes with your process then why not modify it? I too insist on a sharp 90-degree brim break.
I’m just wondering if I’m missing something., that’s all. Plus, I feel that altering or messing with a vintage hat block may be considered a mortal sin by some more experiences hatters ;) But you’re right—to get what I want, I should modify it. Thanks!

Howdy fellas,

I am starting my Hatter apprenticeship soon, and I was wondering if there are any “must read” books on hats and hat history. Also if there are any dedicated Western/cowboy hat books, that would be greatly appreciated.
I would love to hear the details of your apprenticeship. Is it a formal training or is an established hatter informally mentoring you? I think the details would be great to hear about. Perhaps tell us in the "Hat Making/Leanring Millinery thread.

I have restored a number of vintage blocks that were in bad shape. Lots of cracking/separating of the wood. I use a liquid/light paste wood filler. It sands easily and finishes nicely so you could use that to fill in the groove. I then use a Varathane Diamond coat to finish it.

NewbieHatter

New in Town
I'd try putting a rubber band around the block to fill the groove before blocking the hat body and see if that helps to keep your string out of it. Way faster and less permanent than sanding.
That’s a great idea. I only wonder if it would just roll off the end. The string groove is as the base of the block, which I should have mentioned. I’ll try it out anyway and see how it goes! Thanks so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ