Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewbieHatter

New in Town
I have restored a number of vintage blocks that were in bad shape. Lots of cracking/separating of the wood. I use a liquid/light paste wood filler. It sands easily and finishes nicely so you could use that to fill in the groove. I then use a Varathane Diamond coat to finish it.
I was thinking that might be a good solution too. Thanks for backing my theory @belfastboy !

Hey all. i was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Premier Whippet? I see lots of opinions on the Premier Stratoliner, but not much so far on the premier Whippet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Thanks.

I know a couple of guys who have found one of those made for the Japanese market at the outlet store and really like them. I'm not certain if the US version is exactly the same, though.

Hey all. i was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Premier Whippet? I see lots of opinions on the Premier Stratoliner, but not much so far on the premier Whippet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Thanks.

I don’t see them in the current Stetson offerings. The Whippets I do see in the catalog are not to my personal liking (shape, short brims, etc.). Are you looking at Whippets made for the Japanese market?

I believe those were made for the Japanese market. Let us know your thoughts when you receive it.

They were also made for the US market. I show them as late as the 2018 Dress catalogue.

Premier Whippet.png

I think the Japanese versions have a pre-set crown and, if I remember correctly, they reincarnated the Whippet liner tip. Bob Roberts scored a black one at the outlet a few years ago and speaks very highly of it.

Granville

One of the Regulars
I was watching another "hats and guitars" video by Kevin from JJ Hat Center, guy reminds me of my cousin - his accent is something I associate with people who grew up in Manhattan. Kevin was ranging all over in this one, titled "Hat secrets" or something like that, and one of his bits was about finding a second size 'tag' written on the inside of the sweat. So I pulled out my Warwick and did a more thorough search. Well, I'm a boob, because folded under the sweat was the original tag! I'd bought the hat (off Etsy) without knowing the size, just the made-up dimensions the seller came up with, and had to stretch it out (more on that in a moment), but voila! it's a 7 1/8 (I'm 7 3/8 and never would have bought it). But, here's the Question part, on the back of the tag is the union stamp. I'd begun to believe the Warwick ("Bench Made") was an English hat, but ... is it? The union is "International" so maybe the stamp doesn't invalidate my concept of its country of origin.
About stretching: I'd found Kevin's video on stretching to be the best advice ("steam and stretch from the back" as opposed to all-around), but in this "secrets" video he admitted the hat would eventually shrink back because inside the reed (of the "reeded" sweat) is a piece of nylon, and that nylon would ultimately tighten back up UNLESS you clip it (at the joining/back). I worked hard on getting that 7 1/8 to stretch out (by hand, no hat stretcher gizmo), so I carefully snipped that nylon cord. All in all, I really dig the lid, my first vintage purchase (number one in a series, if you will). WarwickLabel.jpg WarwickSelfieCU.jpg
So, anyone else have a Warwick? Is it from Blighty?

They were also made for the US market. I show them as late as the 2018 Dress catalogue.

View attachment 419021

I think the Japanese versions have a pre-set crown and, if I remember correctly, they reincarnated the Whippet liner tip. Bob Roberts scored a black one at the outlet a few years ago and speaks very highly of it.

Thanks, Jim. I wish Hatco had kept that website up as what I can find for the last couple years is more difficult to navigate.

I do now remember the Premier Whippet. It looks to have the same crown height and brim width as the Premier Strat and it’s just too small for me. I sold my Premier Strats because at my hat size they were just too diminutive for me. Nice hats though and it’s a pity Stetson gave didn’t stay the course with more open crowns and classic styling….are we down to just one open crown offering now?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I was watching another "hats and guitars" video by Kevin from JJ Hat Center, guy reminds me of my cousin - his accent is something I associate with people who grew up in Manhattan. Kevin was ranging all over in this one, titled "Hat secrets" or something like that, and one of his bits was about finding a second size 'tag' written on the inside of the sweat. So I pulled out my Warwick and did a more thorough search. Well, I'm a boob, because folded under the sweat was the original tag! I'd bought the hat (off Etsy) without knowing the size, just the made-up dimensions the seller came up with, and had to stretch it out (more on that in a moment), but voila! it's a 7 1/8 (I'm 7 3/8 and never would have bought it). But, here's the Question part, on the back of the tag is the union stamp. I'd begun to believe the Warwick ("Bench Made") was an English hat, but ... is it? The union is "International" so maybe the stamp doesn't invalidate my concept of its country of origin.
About stretching: I'd found Kevin's video on stretching to be the best advice ("steam and stretch from the back" as opposed to all-around), but in this "secrets" video he admitted the hat would eventually shrink back because inside the reed (of the "reeded" sweat) is a piece of nylon, and that nylon would ultimately tighten back up UNLESS you clip it (at the joining/back). I worked hard on getting that 7 1/8 to stretch out (by hand, no hat stretcher gizmo), so I carefully snipped that nylon cord. All in all, I really dig the lid, my first vintage purchase (number one in a series, if you will). View attachment 419093 View attachment 419094
So, anyone else have a Warwick? Is it from Blighty?
I don't think it's English. If it were I believe a "made in England" on the sweat would be there. It was a selling point back in the day.

Check this thread out:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/brent-vs-warwick-connection.59584/#post-1329931

Seems it was made by Lee of Danbury Ct. That was the theory back in 2011, at least. Sadly, the photos are no longer viewable.

Thanks, Jim. I wish Hatco had kept that website up as what I can find for the last couple years is more difficult to navigate.

I do now remember the Premier Whippet. It looks to have the same crown height and brim width as the Premier Strat and it’s just too small for me. I sold my Premier Strats because at my hat size they were just too diminutive for me. Nice hats though and it’s a pity Stetson gave didn’t stay the course with more open crowns and classic styling….are we down to just one open crown offering now?

I think. Even the Excellent Qualities are pre-creased.

They really should scale those things to size.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ