Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
I bought a yard or so of felt material from Walmart for a couple bucks. Cut strips to fit...hat sizers forever.
B
I did the same, from a craft store, and it works great . . . .

But . . . the thing about the Terry cloth one is that it can be put right on the sweatband instead of behind it, so the rippling that can happen is not an issue. And being Terry cloth, it will absorb sweat nicely. I am thinking of trying one pack to see how they are.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I did the same, from a craft store, and it works great . . . .

But . . . the thing about the Terry cloth one is that it can be put right on the sweatband instead of behind it, so the rippling that can happen is not an issue. And being Terry cloth, it will absorb sweat nicely. I am thinking of trying one pack to see how they are.
And terry cloth after awhile.
85979A90-85BB-4651-9194-0CFF08DC34DD.jpeg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I looked through all the Fall/Winter Biltmore catalogs that I have, but for F/W mine only go back to 2014 (I have SS back to 2011), but found nothing just like this. A number of similar hats, to be sure. In looking at other pics of the hat (the blue one), it seems to be a diamond crown stingy brim.

Do you by any chance have any earlier Biltmore catalogs? I'd love to see any before 2014 for FW and before 2011 for SS.

I believe the last owner before Hatco that you speak of was Erik Lynes. Here is an excerpt from a history of Biltmore that was posted elsewhere on this site:

Despite these successes, Kloepfer and his successor, Walter Gosk, struggled to keep the company afloat. That struggle finally failed in 2004 when the company was placed in receivership. Rescue was found in the form of an accountant turned hat-seller from Louisville, Kentucky. Eric Lynes had originally approached the Biltmore Company about selling hats in the American market. He had been looking for a company that could produce a style of short-brimmed hat he had seen in pictures of Malcolm X, and which he believed would be popular in the American market. His search brought him to Guelph and the only company that could provide the quality of hat he sought. Lynes and Biltmore reached an agreement on selling hats in the US market, but before the deal could be finalized Biltmore was forced into receivership. Undeterred Lynes attempted to bid on the company, losing out initially, but eventually in May 2005 he became the sole proprietor of Biltmore Hats.​
Lynes had benefitted from the market for uniform hats, selling to other police forces and pursuing American contracts. The focus for Biltmore, however, has become a return to the company’s history as a benchmark of fashion in the hat industry. Lynes has focused on selling stylish short-brimmed hats as fashion accessories. More than 70 percent of the company’s business in now with the American market and Lynes has noted that as much as 70 percent of that market is young African-American men.36 As opportunities increase to sell the hats across North America, Biltmore has once again become a vibrant part of the fashion market. As in the past, fashion success needs to be accompanied by financial survival. Lynes has been active in seeking for the new venture and in promoting his belief in the return to fashion of well-made stylish hats.​

I believe Biltmore was sold was around 2010~2011 as in the 2011 SS Biltmore Catalog Lynes mentions a new CEO and owner, Douglas Highsmith, who was the CEO of Dorfman Pacific. Lynes stayed on as President though, for a little while, until around 2015.
That’s some good Company information. The catalog I was looking at was in a hat shop from around 2002-3 era. Don’t have a copy myself. They let me look at it to see if I wanted to order something in. So I am working off of 20 year old memory. According to the wife that not very reliable. Kind of glad hatco didn’t get it but do wonder about the quality vs price point.
Johnny

jeff

One of the Regulars
Paco's has a front pinch and dents --- I've also seen Eddie Bauer hats with more of a gambler style (image attached)

Are these two different models, or just one model and people are bashing them in different ways?

Also, does anyone know when these were sold? Just from the hatband, it looks very "late 60s, early 70s) to me.

Stetson-Eddie-Bauer.jpg

Paco's has a front pinch and dents --- I've also seen Eddie Bauer hats with more of a gambler style (image attached)

Are these two different models, or just one model and people are bashing them in different ways?

Also, does anyone know when these were sold? Just from the hatband, it looks very "late 60s, early 70s) to me.

View attachment 445535

Same model just shaped a bit different.

(Another) crease question (yes, I've seen many of the threads here about creases): How do I make those REALLY defined creases? Mine always come out rounded and I just can't get the "folded" crease look, where it's SHARP. If anyone can help or steer me right ...

What felt are you starting with? Thin dense felt is needed to get really sharp creases.

(Another) crease question (yes, I've seen many of the threads here about creases): How do I make those REALLY defined creases? Mine always come out rounded and I just can't get the "folded" crease look, where it's SHARP. If anyone can help or steer me right ...
If that type of tight crease is in a modern mid quality felt it likely was not hand formed but done in a factory with lots of steam and a hydraulic press.

John the Swede

Familiar Face
What felt are you starting with? Thin dense felt is needed to get really sharp creases.
Right now, I'm working with Akubras - two Campdrafts.
If that type of tight crease is in a modern mid quality felt it likely was not hand formed but done in a factory with lots of steam and a hydraulic press.
This gives me a thought: Could I iron the creases?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ