Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Well, OK, but they are still a third party to the transaction. No $$$ changed from your hands to theirs, so what are they to do?

If I tell you the hat you're preparing to buy at Del Monico is beaver and I'm wrong, I have no responsibility to make the transaction right. Again, the people you bought the hat from represented the item accurately. You chose to believe a third party.

And also again, there is no Stetson Company, it folded in 1970 and sold it's assets and naming rights. It's currently owned by Hatco, which I think is even owned by somebody even bigger (and is probably part of the Illuminati). Further, the site which sells directly from Stetson is likely a separate entity licensed by Hatco to sell the Stetson brand. The person you talked to is sitting in a call center and probably has only a limited knowledge of the products - essentially a store clerk.

I think this is a "Live and Learn" situation.
Except the people he bought the hat from did not represent it accurately. It’s listed as fur felt, but it is actually wool felt.

Except the people he bought the hat from did not represent it accurately. It’s listed as fur felt, but it is actually wool felt.
And they probably pulled their data from… Stetson.com. or is it Hatco

71239FE4-3CCB-4737-9487-F0E5BD0DAE7E.jpeg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

That wasn't how I read the OP which never specified the retailer they bought it from.

@wearinghats yes, I understand you were provided incorrect information from the .com rep. But as they informed you, they are not Stetson as such.

My point was that it's unrealistic to think a $130 hat sized s/m/l is made from beaver felt. Regardless of what you were told. They are just not that inexpensive (unless you are buying second hand), and all the high end hats are offered only in proper sizes.*

Obviously one should be able to trust a brand representative, but in this specific situation, with a $130 hat, that other sites listed it correctly as wool, the .com rep insisting it was beaver should have been a red flag that they had incorrect info or were otherwise misinformed, rather than confirmation. If 9/10 dentists recommended brand x, are you gonna listen to the last one?

*p.s. let me correct myself lest anyone base a purchasing decision on my post, Stetson does offer some 4x wool westerns in proper sizes. But AFAIK, fur felt dress hats are only offered in proper sizes.

I think all (or at least most) of the members here have bought hats they regretted as they learned to navigate the world of hatting. It is an integral part of the process as sadly trial and error is a common path to knowledge. I think most of us accept the lumps, learn the lesson and move on and as hard as it might seem be grateful the lesson was a relatively cheap one to learn. The lesson: inexpensive hats that are sized as S, M, L, & XL will never be made from a beaver felt, and very unlikely to be made from even cheap rabbit felt. Wear the hat, burn the hat or give it to GoodWill.....but set aside the anger & angst and get on with it. Is the $100+ worth the battle?

That wasn't how I read the OP which never specified the retailer they bought it from.

@wearinghats yes, I understand you were provided incorrect information from the .com rep. But as they informed you, they are not Stetson as such.

My point was that it's unrealistic to think a $130 hat sized s/m/l is made from beaver felt. Regardless of what you were told. They are just not that inexpensive (unless you are buying second hand), and all the high end hats are offered only in proper sizes.*

Obviously one should be able to trust a brand representative, but in this specific situation, with a $130 hat, that other sites listed it correctly as wool, the .com rep insisting it was beaver should have been a red flag that they had incorrect info or were otherwise misinformed, rather than confirmation. If 9/10 dentists recommended brand x, are you gonna listen to the last one?

*p.s. let me correct myself lest anyone base a purchasing decision on my post, Stetson does offer some 4x wool westerns in proper sizes. But AFAIK, fur felt dress hats are only offered in proper sizes.

I get that you and I would see the red flags of a hat being sized small, medium, large, etc., or for a beaver hat selling so cheap, but if you are new to hats I don’t know if those things ring alarm bells.

I think I’d contact the US Dept. of Commerce and complain that the hat or the advertising was in contravention of the Wool Products Labeling Act of 1939. I’m sure I’d be granted an injunction to order Hat-Co to cease all production. Or I’d drive down to Pro Equine and picket the corporate offices. :)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I get that you and I would see the red flags of a hat being sized small, medium, large, etc., or for a beaver hat selling so cheap, but if you are new to hats I don’t know if those things ring alarm bells.

I think I’d contact the US Dept. of Commerce and complain that the hat or the advertising was in contravention of the Wool Products Labeling Act of 1939. I’m sure I’d be granted an injunction to order Hat-Co to cease all production. Or I’d drive down to Pro Equine and picket the corporate offices. :)
That’s right!!
Guns blazin
Stick it to the man!
B

wearinghats

New in Town
Well this has been beaten to death at this point. Yeah, I'm new to hats, so I don't really know anything about cost. I've contacted my credit card company to dispute this as I thought I was talking to someone at stetson, but apparently stetson isn't really stetson anymore is what some of you are saying (again I didn't know this), and will leave it at that. Again thanks for that idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21