Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 09-12-51 Mark Williams Facebook.png

1669216479322.png

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I have a question, I have flattened out the brim curl on my Beaver Brand 5X several times, not totally flat just lessened the curl. It just seems to come back over time especially on the sides toward the back, I think my long oval head shape is not helping but is there a way to get it to hold shape better?
20221124_094331.jpg
20221124_094354.jpg

Samson25

Familiar Face
Hello Gentlemen !
This hat fell into my hands but with little information.
Borsalino " Qualita Superiore " Size 60 ( I am a 58.5-59 head, it fits Me rather well).
Stamped in the liner as being purchased from "Lodenfrey" in Munich, Germany.
Hat liner is black with gold stamping/ lettering.
Lodenfrey is a historical high end clothing retailer which must have been a Borsalino reseller at some time in the past.
Can anyone give Me more information ?
What is the body made out of?
Is this a pre- bankrupcy hat ( pre 2017 ?)?
I am pretty sure this hat is pre- bankrupcy because it was very dusty, found in a stack of hats which haven't been touched in many years.
Inside manufacturers codes - sticker label :
Cod. Col. 01A 000 566
111148 0421 60
I Thank You in advance for any and all help anyone can provide.

Attachments

• Borsalino codes.jpeg
    Borsalino codes.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Borsalino_1.jpeg
    Borsalino_1.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Borsalino_2.jpeg
    Borsalino_2.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have a question, I have flattened out the brim curl on my Beaver Brand 5X several times, not totally flat just lessened the curl. It just seems to come back over time especially on the sides toward the back, I think my long oval head shape is not helping but is there a way to get it to hold shape better?
View attachment 467454 View attachment 467455
Yes, but you need a correct stretcher or band block that will fit your head shape. When placed/kept in the hat you can shape/re-flange the brim and it will then hold as it is now shaped to your head.

Getting the correct stretcher (they come in differant sizes/shapes). Several here have had personal band blocks made for them. I have a couple but mostly I use varous hat stretchers (of which I have accumulated quite a few).

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Yes, but you need a correct stretcher or band block that will fit your head shape. When placed/kept in the hat you can shape/re-flange the brim and it will then hold as it is now shaped to your head.

Getting the correct stretcher (they come in differant sizes/shapes). Several here have had personal band blocks made for them. I have a couple but mostly I use varous hat stretchers (of which I have accumulated quite a few).
I have a couple hat stretchers, hat-jacks, that I have sanded down to be quite close to my head shape. I still have issues with the brim wanting to curl.

View attachment 467454 View attachment 467455
Yes, it could be that your LOval shape is pulling the hat fore & aft putting tension on the brim and pulling it out of shape. No real great fix for this save for tearing it down and reblocking to fit your shape.

Many hat stretchers are closer to a long oval than regular oval as they increase the north/south dimension. You could try a very slight stretch in that direction whilst using a plywood brim press. I don't have a hydraulic brim press (I dream of owning one!) but in the meantime I have a 5/8" thixk 2'x2' plywood piece with a cutout for the long oval shape. I place it on a 2'x2' work table, iron the brim to soften and then place the cutout plywood on top and clamp in the 4 quadrants. Have the hat stretcher in the hat whilst doing this. Leave it for 48 hours. It might not remove all the cupping but it should remove some of it.

I have a couple hat stretchers, hat-jacks, that I have sanded down to be quite close to my head shape. I still have issues with the brim wanting to curl.
I come back to my opinion that the hat is a Reg Oval and with your Long oval shape you are putting tension on the brim which distorts it. It happens to me as well trying to fit a RO onto my LO head.

The other outcome of reblocking the hat to Long Oval is that you will end up with a slightly dimensional brim. The long oval takes brim width from the front and rear. Keeping the hat the same size minimizes this so you will only be out about an 1/8" but you have to be extremely careful on the reblock to get it right.

A LOT depends on how much of a LO you are AND the difficulty of getting the crown to conform and STAY conformed. Often a stretcher properly placed (no deeper than the width of the sweat) will need to remain for a very long time for the hat to respond and develop "memory". A lot of patience is required.

Quicker but by no means easier, A proper blocking requires the complete tearing down of the hat and wetting of the felt to be successful......(I just did one I will be posting where I left the sweat and ribbon in place :eek:, otherwise stripping the lining and wind cord, showing it CAN be done...sometimes......was an all black hat with a roan sweat :oops:).

Then and only then (when the above are accomplished) can you really work on the brim to effect.

Using either method can bring very acceptable results with a regular LO. EXLO is a different matter all together.

What belfastboy says is quite true.

What’s the best western hat by Stetson? Is it old 100x ones or the old 7x clear beaver quality?

The 100 was a price and not X’s, the 7X Clear was a $50+ hat depending upon its size, brim and crown…I highly recommend them both…
I had read.. I think on this site. That the 100 of certain era was essentially 7XCB badged as 100 with a fancy 100 box. Never have had a 100 in hand to compare to my 7XCB

I had read.. I think on this site. That the 100 of certain era was essentially 7XCB badged as 100 with a fancy 100 box. Never have had a 100 in hand to compare to my 7XCB

The problem is you would need to compare hats made at the same time. A 1960s One-Hundred doesn’t compare favorably to a 1940s 7XCB. The later One-Hundred hats are nice, but they really haven’t impressed me as the ultimate Stetson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ