Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Those are good choices. For pre-war hats, the Boss Raw Edge hats were the top of the line, which I believe would make Clear Nutria the best quality for that time period.
No.....Nutra was in the middle...3X,4X, 5X and of course 7XBeaver were better (IE More expensive) hats.
From 1932
1511842018492543573258.jpg

These hold true for their western listings too. Their finest hats have always been the "Beaver" hats.
1670344191916.png

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:
I stand corrected, I think I was recalling this 1903 ad:

the_topeka_daily_capital_fri__oct_30__1903_-jpg.344209
Not even then. You are reading advertising puffery......(for a TOUGH as NAILS hat).
AWESOME ad by the way!;)

Here is a contemporary price list for your ad, From a 1901 Stetson Wholesale Catalog....

3X and "Real Beaver" are still the most expensive. Note the "Real Beaver" would retail $12-$26 based on those prices.
1670363245463.png
1670363372062.png

Since the mid 19th century Beaver has been more expensive and harder to source. We almost eliminated them by the 1840's by over trapping. It is thought to be the most desired fur for felt hats for some time......no doubt Nutria was (is) as tough as the animal the fur comes from, but beaver ha s historically been King for hatters and buyers.:)

Last edited:
Here is an additional listing (From the same 1901 catalog) listing SOFT Western Hats.....

NOTE: these are listed as "SOFT Hats"........the Boss Raw Edge are not........and "Staple Shapes" (their name for their most popular western line at the time). I believe the "Boss Raw Edge" were what we call "western stiff" now.

Also of note: "No. 1 Quality" is the entry price point AND they have a 1X!!!! (which is less than Nutria).o_O

1670364156891.png

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I am looking at ordering an Akubra military slouch but would like to know how the sizes compare to their CampDraft.
I wear a 58 in the CampDraft and that is perfect for me.
Order the same in the military slouch?

bonedaddy

New in Town
I want to remake the hat Kurt Russell wear in "The Thing" (1982), see attached photos. I want to use an Akubra as a basis and reshape it to resemble the movie hat. I though about using the Akubra Sombrero (photo on the table), but I am unsure. Maybe the crown on the Sombrero is too high? Can anyone help me find a good Akubra to reshape for this purpose?

Attachments

• 79b290de34bb946e4882663f0ed2dfa9.jpg
    79b290de34bb946e4882663f0ed2dfa9.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen-Shot-2013-05-07-at-9.14.19-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2013-05-07-at-9.14.19-PM.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 40
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 40

bonedaddy

New in Town
Is there a reason you want it to be an Akubra as opposed to any other western style hat as a donor body? You could save yourself the step of flattening out the curl if you started with an uncurled brim to begin with.
Good point. I just really like Akubra. For a durable outdoor hat that will hold up against the elements I don't know any better option. So that's why.

I thought that maybe the Rough Rider might also work, although the end product might be somewhat smaller than the hat in the movie. But given that the movie hat is so enormous it could even benefit from a smaller donor.

What do you think?

Who?

Practically Family
I can’t resist asking, where do you intend to wear this rather unusual piece of headgear?

What reaction do you think it will produce in those who see you wearing it?

You don’t give a clue to your location, so it is difficult to guess your potential “audience”.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I want to remake the hat Kurt Russell wear in "The Thing" (1982), see attached photos. I want to use an Akubra as a basis and reshape it to resemble the movie hat. I thought about using the Akubra Sombrero (photo on the table), but I am unsure. Maybe the crown on the Sombrero is too high? Can anyone help me find a good Akubra to reshape for this purpose?
You could just get this one:

https://www.baronhats.com/products/the-rj-the-thing

17866AFA-7153-44B4-83E7-1E59FBDED26E.jpeg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I want to remake the hat Kurt Russell wear in "The Thing" (1982), see attached photos. I want to use an Akubra as a basis and reshape it to resemble the movie hat. I though about using the Akubra Sombrero (photo on the table), but I am unsure. Maybe the crown on the Sombrero is too high? Can anyone help me find a good Akubra to reshape for this purpose?
That could be a good option. The brim may be wider in the Akubra sombrero. Are you planning on wearing it like Kurt? Over a hoodie? you would have to go up a few hat sizes to make it fit.
Here is a great video about a recreation.
Depending where you live, cowboy hats May come up on the buy and sell groups. They do where I live. So it may be worth it to wait for a gently used hat to come up and try to re-shape it.
Is this going to be a summer or winter hat? camping, yard work hat? Or just a fun weekend hat?
Let us know how it goes.
Johnny

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
It is my belief that, collectively, we are a very good diverse cross-section of vintage hat connoisseurs and collectors who buy, sell and trade both new and vintage hats. Has there ever been an effort to develop a standard for grading/categorizing the physical condition of hats (ie, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor)?
Now that's a minefield in the collectors world, Randy.

There is a supposed "standard" definition of gradings in the world of collecting coins, stamps, and musical instruments for example. While the "standards" might be adhered to by collectors in the know who buy and sell, though not always, the same cannot be expected of the casual seller wanting to move an item on.

Caveat emptor is the best watch word.

Now that's a minefield in the collectors world, Randy.

There is a supposed "standard" definition of gradings in the world of collecting coins, stamps, and musical instruments for example. While the "standards" might be adhered to by collectors in the know who buy and sell, though not always, the same cannot be expected of the casual seller wanting to move an item on.

Caveat emptor is the best watch word.

I’ve seen many hats described as “mint” with minimal moth damage, staining, and dry rot in the sweatband. I’m not sure that they understood what “mint” means or if they were doing deceitful…but why then show and describe the flaws?

I suppose someone could start a business where you can send a hat to be graded prior to offering it for sale, but that doesn’t make sense on a $100-300 hat.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Good point. I just really like Akubra. For a durable outdoor hat that will hold up against the elements I don't know any better option. So that's why.

I thought that maybe the Rough Rider might also work, although the end product might be somewhat smaller than the hat in the movie. But given that the movie hat is so enormous it could even benefit from a smaller donor.

What do you think?

I'm sure you'd be able to grab a brown western on eBay for significantly less than a new hat.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Yes, I agree with Jared. For example, here is a hat I picked up recently for a few bucks that would have made a good donor for a Macready hat. I turned it into a curl brim hat but I think it would have been fairly straightforward to make this into a Macready.

Good luck in your search— it looks like a fun project!

Bill

17F9A37E-6A81-427B-9AB6-F3F78CB7F1F3.jpeg

Attachments

• 6404FE5E-C39A-4BAC-AD9B-ED77258B0ECE.jpeg
    6404FE5E-C39A-4BAC-AD9B-ED77258B0ECE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ