Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
So fun! Rawhide does expand and shrink tremendously with water. I made some big drums using rawhide that way when I was young. We used to soak cowboy boots and wear them wet for a couple days to break them in. Leather can be stretched when wet. Still might not be a great idea with a hat, understood. But if you wet it, hold it in a stretch as it dries, it will stay at the stretched length. At least that's been my experience (with things other than hats). If you heat wet leather enough you can turn it into a somewhat brittle and useless hard plastic-like substance. When I did leather crafting as a kid you could use this fact as a technique to make stamps, by embossing a small piece of leather with a pattern, while wet, then put it in the oven and it hardens such that you can impress that pattern into other soft leather. I can't believe I even remember that, from when I was maybe 10, 60 years ago, but I'm lucky now if I can remember 60 minutes ago:)

Vintage sweatbands can look great, feel comfortable, and give you years of careful use. However, they have often deteriorated and moisture reveals the damage that is there. The water doesn’t “cause” the damage, but the water can take a serviceable and good looking leather sweatband and turn it into an unwearable shriveled mess.

Another factor there is salt. Salt really wreaks havoc with leather. I remember when my friend bought a beautiful old Mercedes with soft leather seats. He visited while we were at a cottage on the Outer Banks and left the windows open overnight. Salty mist soaked the front seats and they dried stiff and cracked terribly when he sat on them. Tragic...
There could be a lot of truth to that…. In fact as I was typing above I started thinking of the salt content of the sweat and how that might factor in.

But all and all.. I think Brent and Jim are correct in that often moisture from sweat and other sources can reveal hidden damage to old leather sweats that might not have been noticeable otherwise. Cause them to prune up irreparably.

All of that being said…. Its really only a modern day collector of vintage hats problem. Items like sweatbands were intended to be replaced if necessary with heavy use… much like the brake pads of your car. Doesn’t make it any less disappointing though when it happens and you need to replace a beautiful 70 or 80,year old sweat.

Jazzsaxy123

New in Town
Just curious to find out more about the Stetson Key Club. I can’t seem to find a lot of info on them. When were they made? Do they hold up well? Thanks!

Emilis

Familiar Face
Hello Lounge. Hope that everyone's doing alright. Currently I am looking to purchase leather sweatbands and rabbit felt capelines (~160gr) in Europe. Suggestions?

Hello Lounge. Hope that everyone's doing alright. Currently I am looking to purchase leather sweatbands and rabbit felt capelines (~160gr) in Europe. Suggestions?
Check with Drew at The Millinery Warehouse. There has to be a Ukraine felt distributor somewhere in the EU. Also there is Kopka out of Germany. If they don't sell direct they can point you to a distributor.

Emilis

Familiar Face
Check with Drew at The Millinery Warehouse. There has to be a Ukraine felt distributor somewhere in the EU. Also there is Kopka out of Germany. If they don't sell direct they can point you to a distributor.
I actually bought from millinery warehouse. Didnt find anyone offering 160gr rabbit felt for decent money. Got some roan leather sweats aswell. The only thing that I did not like was the fact that they were offering very expensive overseas shipping: almost 200$ for DHL and 350$ for fedex! Keep in mind that the parcel will be around 2kg ONLY. Good thing I had a buddy in the states that brought the shipping price to 60$ in total. By the way, when I asked for alternative shipping options - they just ignored me, so probably the last time I will be ordering from them just because of customer support.

I actually bought from millinery warehouse. Didnt find anyone offering 160gr rabbit felt for decent money. Got some roan leather sweats aswell. The only thing that I did not like was the fact that they were offering very expensive overseas shipping: almost 200$ for DHL and 350$ for fedex! Keep in mind that the parcel will be around 2kg ONLY. Good thing I had a buddy in the states that brought the shipping price to 60$ in total. By the way, when I asked for alternative shipping options - they just ignored me, so probably the last time I will be ordering from them just because of customer support.
I have always found Drew to be very helpful. He has mailed things to me to save $$. They are in the process of moving so maybe he is swamped. The price of FEPSA beaver felts has just jumped up a huge amount and likely to go higher.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A public servic announcement, just in case anyone is interested!

20230421_184348.jpg

Would it be possible for a hatter to make a sweatband that never needs to be replaced?

If so, what would be the means by which that could happen?

Yes, don't wear the hat. Sweatbands are sacrificial, as they take the abuse of sweat, salt, etc. and are in direct contact with our skin. Even without wear, leather sweats will dry up over time. IF you use your hat at all, the sweatband will wear out, eventually.

Would it be possible for a hatter to make a sweatband that never needs to be replaced?

If so, what would be the means by which that could happen?

There are certainly materials that would last indefinitely that could be used as sweatbands. However, when you figure in costs, comfort, attachment to the felt, thickness, etc. you end up with leather, probably roan, that will eventually wear out.

There was a time when makers experimented with sweatbands that were buttoned in that the owner could replace himself.

Yes, don't wear the hat. Sweatbands are sacrificial, as they take the abuse of sweat, salt, etc. and are in direct contact with our skin. Even without wear, leather sweats will dry up over time. IF you use your hat at all, the sweatband will wear out, eventually.
I have to resist the strong urge to 'save' my good hats. Much like my mother that kept her 'good china' on the top shelf only to be used on special occasions I want to preserve my hats in amber. When she passed I retrieved the dust covered china and gave it to the poor neighbours.....god forbid that happens to my hats.

Wear the hat, wear the hell out of it. It does not cost much to replace a sweat and not that hard to do yourself. It is a cheap replacement in exchange for the joy of wearing the hell out of the hat and if the sweat breaks down then celebrate that the hat has served you well. If the entire hat breaks down, give it a decent burial and celebrate all the great times you enjoyed with it atop your head.

In the meantime every year or so give it a bit of a clean with a drop of Lexol and you may just get an entire lifetime out of the one sweat....if it is a decent quality to start with.

I have to resist the strong urge to 'save' my good hats. Much like my mother that kept her 'good china' on the top shelf only to be used on special occasions I want to preserve my hats in amber. When she passed I retrieved the dust covered china and gave it to the poor neighbours.....god forbid that happens to my hats.

Wear the hat, wear the hell out of it. It does not cost much to replace a sweat and not that hard to do yourself. It is a cheap replacement in exchange for the joy of wearing the hell out of the hat and if the sweat breaks down then celebrate that the hat has served you well. If the entire hat breaks down, give it a decent burial and celebrate all the great times you enjoyed with it atop your head.

In the meantime every year or so give it a bit of a clean with a drop of Lexol and you may just get an entire lifetime out of the one sweat....if it is a decent quality to start with.

Most of us are able to rotate through so we don’t overburden the sweats in our vintage hats, as well. If I hadto wear one hat every day, I would likely wear it out.

What's the difference between stetson 5x and 6x felt?

Also, wearable is silver belly on hotter days? How susceptible is it to collecting visible dirt?
As the X designation on hats is so very ill defined I think you are asking an unanswerable question unless you purchase both hats and put them side by side.
In my experience a felt is a felt is a felt and all will have a similar effect on hot days. Some folks wear felt year round while some break out the straws as soon as possible. This is a choice you get to make. Silverbelly is a very light colour so yes it will obviously show the dirt more than a black or dark brown hat. That is why I never wear a white shirt while eating spaghetti.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner