Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Anyone ever dealt with this issue? I have one 1950s Royal Stetson whose sweatband adheres to my forehead when I wear it—so much so that when I take it off i have to almost peel it off my forehead and it leaves a red mark across my forehead. It looks no different from my other Stetsons from the era. I tried putting some Lexol on but it made no difference. I want to give it a good cleaning—warm soap and water? Any suggestions appreciated. Picture below, though I don’t think it shows anything unusual other than foxing in the liner. Thanks, David

IMG_2084.jpeg

gilligan

One of the Regulars
How would you know it’s a 40’s Stratoliner?
My observation tells me it's more likely 1940's rather than later due to several things. The size of the brim is more in line with that time period, the style of this Stratoliner compared to later models, the lettering in the embossed script is more in line with the 1940s and the fact that the sellers grandfather purchased it in the 1940s.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
My observation tells me it's more likely 1940's rather than later due to several things. The size of the brim is more in line with that time period, the style of this Stratoliner compared to later models, the lettering in the embossed script is more in line with the 1940s and the fact that the sellers grandfather purchased it in the 1940s.
Lol I would have led with that last point, if its verifiable.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Do you have an idea about when this practice was popular as pertaining to this particular hat.

Did you look through the thread?

If you choose to know more about the history of hats and take the time to read through some of the more common threads around this site, you will start to get a general feel for these things.

In this case, it's a subject wrapped up in style, popularity and marketing. This practice was more common when hats were more common and in style and the practice decreased when it wasn't so popular anymore. It became less common as men wearing hats became less popular.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Did you look through the thread?

If you choose to know more about the history of hats and take the time to read through some of the more common threads around this site, you will start to get a general feel for these things.

In this case, it's a subject wrapped up in style, popularity and marketing. This practice was more common when hats were more common and in style and the practice decreased when it wasn't so popular anymore. It became less common as men wearing hats became less popular.
Thanks, I did after I posted the last question. Really wanted to verify that this particular hat was indeed a refurbished 1940's hat and by all indications, and done during that time period rather than what refurbishing referred to.

Wow

New in Town
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I recently picked up 3 German fur-felt hats and would love to get some additional information on them.
Can anyone tell me more about where these came from, age, value, etc.?

Appreciate any responses and insight. I am new to hats, so please forgive any mistakes or dumb questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I recently picked up 3 German fur-felt hats and would love to get some additional information on them.

Appreciate any responses and insight. I am new to hats, so please forgive any mistakes or dumb questions.
Very hard to put a value on a niche 'ethnic' style (Tyrolean) hat.

Not likely to fetch much especially as it has been compromised by the numerous pins stuck thru the felt. But ya never know. List it on Ebay and you may find a guy looking for that exact hat and will pay well for it.

You can search by brand here:

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/2-welcome/

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Very cool! I love Bavarian style!

From the pins in the hat, this looks like it belonged to a member of the North American arm of the “Bavarian traditional costume club.” The website for the North American arm is not so exciting unless you want to read a lot, but it is here:

https://gauverband.com/tracht

However, the website for the Bavarian version of the club has lots of photos of folks in Alpine costumes including this style hat:

https://trachtenverband-bayern.de/

Full disclosure, the pin on your hat includes the letters “Shuhpl”. Shuh means shoe but I don’t know what the “pl” means. (Schuhpl could be a Bavarian word for “shoes” or be a specific type of Bavarian shoe - but that’s totally a guess - edit: see my next post on this thread).

In other words, the pin seems to be for something like the “Bavarian Shoe and Costume Club”. I have no idea if that’s a separate entity or maybe the club changed its name over the years.

I would guess the hat is not that remarkable but the pins might be - especially if the club did change its name. Some club members might be collecting such pins (or they could be a dime a dozen, I have no idea).

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

Figured out what the “Shuhpl” means: it stands for “Shuhplattler” and is a traditional Bavarian dance. I believe the second (golden) pin on the hat is for a Bavarian dancing club so that makes sense.

Wiki page for Schuplattler:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuhplattler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24