Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A "Giant Killer" was a very large ice cream sundae.

Is the gal on the right holding up a baby dress of some kind? Perhaps they're acting out a wartime home-front drama -- the gal on the right is the wife, the would-be MacArthur in the middle is the husband away in the service, and the gal on the left is the Victory Girl who led him astray?

crwritt

One Too Many
A "Giant Killer" was a very large ice cream sundae.

Is the gal on the right holding up a baby dress of some kind? Perhaps they're acting out a wartime home-front drama -- the gal on the right is the wife, the would-be MacArthur in the middle is the husband away in the service, and the gal on the left is the Victory Girl who led him astray?

It looks more like a white drawstring purse, her sunglasses are in her lap, and she is holding
a cigarette case.Gal on the left has a glass in her hand, which leads me to believe they've been drinking,
thus the relaxed and goofy attitude.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
A friend of mine posted this on the Station Wagon forums and for some reason the picture really struck me. Sorry to stick my nose in the powder room!

mom-on-woody1.jpg

Like this photo too - the car, the pose, everything. But, is she wearing espadrilles? Were those worn in that period?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
They look more like huaraches to me... I've seen a couple pics with those type of shoes, and they're pretty easy to find in the stores this year.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Like this photo too - the car, the pose, everything. But, is she wearing espadrilles? Were those worn in that period?

Lauren Bacall wears them in Key Largo. :) Good find on the name Gracie Lee, they looked a little low-heeled for espadrilles.

I Googled for "Giant Killer Sundae" and didn't find much, except this blurb under a hybrid image of a Chicago neighbourhood:

"Now a Starbucks, this former site of Lockwood Castle, home of "The Giant Killer" the Chicago Area's biggest sundae. If you were able to eat it in one sitting, you were given a free one next time you visited. Served 4-6 people."

ETA: If you Google Image a "Giant Killer Sundae," you'll find LizzieMaine's avatar lol!

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
They look more like huaraches to me... I've seen a couple pics with those type of shoes, and they're pretty easy to find in the stores this year.

Oops, I feel silly. Yes, huaraches are what I was thinking of - for some reason thought escadrilles which they are most certainly not. Thank you for the correction! But they are huaraches? Didn't realize those were worn at that time. Cool.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Oops, I feel silly. Yes, huaraches are what I was thinking of - for some reason thought escadrilles which they are most certainly not. Thank you for the correction! But they are huaraches? Didn't realize those were worn at that time. Cool.

No worries... don't feel silly. Had I not been shoe shopping this past weekend, I'd have never been able to pull that word out of my mental banks. I actually just picked up these... super super comfy :) Poke around the website some... they have some nice vintage-able shoes, and they're well made and very comfy.

I only kill giants on Sundays. Takes the rest of the week to get rid of the evidence.

:rofl:

Puzzicato

One Too Many

From my beloved Everyday Fashions of the Fifties - huaraches were being worn in the early 1950s. I think I am going to have to get the 30s and 40s editions of the book to broaden my horizons!

MrSpadesGirl

New in Town
GrandmaTeen.jpg

My Grandmother, Norma Jane Moody Aggelis (b.1931) c.1946. She was a beautiful lady, inside and out. The dress was almost certainly made by my Great Grandmother, Eldora Moody.

NormaSprings.jpg

Norma at Kissingen Springs, Bartow, Florida in the mid 40s. The springs are no longer there. From what Grandma told me, they were beautiful. They had a band stand and gazebo for dancing where all the young people went for fun.

NormaJimmieWedding.jpg

Norma and Jimmie Aggelis on their wedding day in 1951. They had five daughters, the first of which was my mother who was born in 1952.

NormaStevie.jpg

Norma and my mother, Stephanie Faye Aggelis in 1952.

YoungOllie.jpg

My maternal Great Grandmother (mom's dad's mom), Ollie Lee Hunter Aggelis c.1920s. She was married at 15(!!!) to my Great Grandfather who immigrated from a Greek island off the coast of Turkey. Ollie and Steve Aggelis were married for over 50 years until he died in the early 80s. My mother says I resemble her.

I have some pictures of my Grandfather and Great Grandfather, too. Since this is a thread about women, I'll post those in the Display Case thread for family pictures.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
GrandmaTeen.jpg

My Grandmother, Norma Jane Moody Aggelis (b.1931) c.1946. She was a beautiful lady, inside and out. The dress was almost certainly made by my Great Grandmother, Eldora Moody.

NormaSprings.jpg

Norma at Kissingen Springs, Bartow, Florida in the mid 40s. The springs are no longer there. From what Grandma told me, they were beautiful. They had a band stand and gazebo for dancing where all the young people went for fun.

NormaJimmieWedding.jpg

Norma and Jimmie Aggelis on their wedding day in 1951. They had five daughters, the first of which was my mother who was born in 1952.

NormaStevie.jpg

Norma and my mother, Stephanie Faye Aggelis in 1952.

YoungOllie.jpg

My maternal Great Grandmother (mom's dad's mom), Ollie Lee Hunter Aggelis c.1920s. She was married at 15(!!!) to my Great Grandfather who immigrated from a Greek island off the coast of Turkey. Ollie and Steve Aggelis were married for over 50 years until he died in the early 80s. My mother says I resemble her.

I have some pictures of my Grandfather and Great Grandfather, too. Since this is a thread about women, I'll post those in the Display Case thread for family pictures.

Looking at your picture and the picture of your Great Grandmother I would have to agree with your mother!!

Love all the pictures ladies!! Makes me sad that I have none of my family besides a few photos of my Great Grandfather during WWII that got passed down to me because according to my grandmother "no one else in the family would want them" (of course after they found out I got them there was an uproar... I made they photo copies and kept the originals!!) but he is in uniform in them and well everyone has seen a million photos of men in uniform in the 1940s!!

loveheartlove

New in Town
Winifred

This is such a lovely thread! I love seeing how women were naturally glamourous back in the old days. I wish we all still made that much effort these days.

Here are some photos of my very glamourous grandmother Winifred (Win for short) back in the 1940's (I assume!).

I have to link to my Flickr account as I have not yet learnt the art of posting photos in threads :eek:

Grandma in a very pretty dress:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkplasticheart/4706064926/

Grandma and my mother:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkplasticheart/4705400863/

On the lawn:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkplasticheart/4706016100/

I always remember she spent so much time doing her hair and makeup to make sure she looked her best every day right up until she died. I miss her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy