Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
hi i just got a tonak "selentino" fedora , rabbit fur how are they, i should have asked first but it was a fast deal

Selentino offer several different grades of hats. The Sterlings are pretty rough, but others are better. I’ve been wanting to try one of their velour hats, but not enough to take the plunge. If you like their dimensions, there are a lot worse hats out there...yeah, I’m looking at you Stetson Royal grade.

Enjoy and post photos.

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humanshoes

One Too Many
hi i just got a tonak "selentino" fedora , rabbit fur how are they, i should have asked first but it was a fast deal
I make many of my hats from Tonak rabbit fur hat bodies and, from my personal experience, I can tell you they are good quality felts. Of course it will depend on what a particular hatter does with that body and how he finishes the individual hat, but, barring a complete butcher job by the hatter, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

this is a tonak Czech fedora not the Seletino fedora, Tonak just happened to call it selentino

Selentino didn’t make any hats. They are an importer and have/had the import rights for Tonak. What does the liner say? It should give the product line. You’ll also see hats listed as Melton and Selco that were also imported by Selentino I believe they were all made by Tonak. I’ve owned six or so of those Tonak Selentino hats. In the higher grades they are nice hats. In the lower grades not so much (which seems fair to me).

this is a tonak Czech fedora not the Seletino fedora, Tonak just happened to call it selentino

This is my sole surviving Selentino made by Tonak. It is a sterling grade as shown on the liner.

269e2cb1cac6c9ec6c033a9a54eca91c.jpg

ahh I see, this is the liner, it looks like it has potential, i lke the center dent and all it needs is a slight pinch front and the front and back flipped up
View attachment 119343 View attachment 119344 View attachment 119345

It’s hard to tell from the photos, but yours has the potential to be a very nice hat. It’s of a recent manufacture, but you might hit up our resident expert on vintage Tonak and other continental makers @mayserwegener

Tonak also has its own thread and if you post photos and information there you should get some knowledgeable responses.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Long shot I suspect. But looking to borrow a 3/8" or 1/2" shackle iron for a few days. Happy to pay rent and postage both ways. Just did another pencil curl by hand and the wait time to buy/ to be delivered on a hat shackle iron is hard to comprehend. Thanks!

D00R

One of the Regulars
I never seen a fedora with little belts across the crown/hatband that loop down into the brim and hold the back of the head.
Does anyone know what kind of hat this is? Sure would have helped Indiana Jones Hat from flying off his head while riding his horse.
v62s89naj

Attachments

• 2E569BE5-6D06-4170-9633-6BFA29482145.jpeg
    2E569BE5-6D06-4170-9633-6BFA29482145.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 136
I never seen a fedora with little belts across the crown/hatband that loop down into the brim and hold the back of the head.
Does anyone know what kind of hat this is? Sure would have helped Indiana Jones Hat from flying off his head while riding his horse.
v62s89naj

Campaign hats use that method to keep the hat of the wearer’s head. You’re photos do not much resemble a campaign hat. I have a couple of Stratton Sheriff hats with the same strap but I’ve definitely never seen the liner in your photos. Is the hat western stiff or is it a soft fedora? I’m intrigued.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Campaign hats use that method to keep the hat of the wearer’s head. You’re photos do not much resemble a campaign hat. I have a couple of Stratton Sheriff hats with the same strap but I’ve definitely never seen the liner in your photos. Is the hat western stiff or is it a soft fedora? I’m intrigued.

Thanks for the intwresting info, it is Western Stiff. Im curious to find out more.

acastell

New in Town
Hello all...can anyone let me know what 'Gold Medal' refers to on the sweat band of my 1950's Whippet?

In my research, I found reference to 'Medalist' and 'Exposition Medal' but nothing directly related to 'Gold Medal'

Many thanks for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

debras

New in Town
Hello. This is definitely a long shot but I'm trying to identify the hat worn by the men in the photo. The photo was taken in South Australia in the 1960s. The men pictured include Jimmy James and Daniel Moodoo, two Aboriginal trackers who solved many crimes for the South Australian police force. I'd be incredibly grateful for any help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 12.59.19 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 12.59.19 pm.png
    322.4 KB · Views: 118

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21