Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many Brits are here?

Lokar

A-List Customer
Hey Lokar, how's things in Lund? I'm assuming it's quite a change from Wiltshire, lol

Oddly enough, warmer in summer (we're at the very southernmost point of Sweden though). Much colder during winter, of course.

The people are ruder here, which is a pity.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
I am here, although it could be said I am Yorkshireman first.

haha I don't really identify with being a 'Brit' I'm English :D

Oddly enough, warmer in summer (we're at the very southernmost point of Sweden though). Much colder during winter, of course.

The people are ruder here, which is a pity.

Ruder than londoners? Can't be true!!

Lokar

A-List Customer
is it ruder, or just unconciously brusque? I've heard the nordic language, and therefore the culture, puts less emphasis on pleasantries than us in the UK

Well, the only pleasantry used in Sweden is an obsession with saying thanks (and they only say it at certain times - always after a meal, even if it was a microwave meal, but if you perform a nice gesture for someone, they won't respond).

Mostly though, properly rude. With queues (if a checkout is opened, people will fight and shove to get to the front - I saw an old lady knocked down once in the rush to save two minutes queueing), and it's even worse at a car boot. There's much more of an "I'm the most important, I don't care if what I do affects someone else" attitude than I'm used to. Once, I stood up on the bus to let a very pregnant lady have a seat, and she was so thankful and shocked. She said she uses the bus every day and she'd never had a seat offered before..

As for London - it might be worse, I don't know. I'm just comparing it to the good old west country. :D

haha I don't really identify with being a 'Brit' I'm English :D

I can't really figure out which I identify as more. I'm English through and through and identify as such, but I also love the union and am very proud of Britain as a whole. Then again, my identity doesn't matter in Sweden - English and British are interchangeable here.

Last edited:

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
I saw an old lady knocked down once in the rush to save two minutes queueing), and it's even worse at a car boot. There's much more of an "I'm the most important, I don't care if what I do affects someone else" attitude than I'm used to. Once, I stood up on the bus to let a very pregnant lady have a seat, and she was so thankful and shocked. She said she uses the bus every day and she'd never had a seat offered before..

:eek::eek: omg...that's awful!!

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I don't really consider myself English or British. I'm a Londoner.

Not one of those rude ones though... ;-)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner