Looking for hat information?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by D00R, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Hat Masterson

Hat Masterson Familiar Face

Interesting that it's for the French market and I have it. Hmmmm. Thanks for link, Steur. Escapade. I wonder about what year it is?

steur likes this.
  2. steur

steur

I should make that a bit wider: Meddens was actually a Dutch clothingstore chain (I thought the name sounded familiar). Founded in 1830 and the last one closed in 2011.
    meddens.jpg

I have two of these Escapade hats myself, which I have down as sixties hats, but I think they started making these earlier, probably from the mid to late fifties on.
    flechet escapade granit_6.jpg flechet escapade_7.jpg

3. Hat Masterson

Hat Masterson Familiar Face

Those are nice. Mine has the same material--seems almost like a Selentino Queen--but a same-felt, and thinner, ribbon. Perhaps its earlier than yours?

4. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I’ve not been impressed with my US made Flèche hats. The French made hats are a whole different (nicer) animal. Good get.

5. Gazman G.

Gazman G. New in Town

Recently bought a Stetson online but all the seller could tell me about it is that he purchased through an Estate Sale.Also might mention that these are the seller's pics not mine. I know it's probably a bit premature but Would very much appreciate all or any information on this great old Stetson. Will upload more detailed pictures when it arrives. Also might help to mention that I'm in Australia so it's fair to say that it may not be U.S. stock.Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Just Daniel likes this.
  6. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Have you read any of the Stetson dating threads? Ought to be an easy thing. My guess: ca 1970

Gazman G. likes this.
  7. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

In the Links to Important Hat Thread thread, there are several threads on dating based on liner info, size tag, sweatband stamps, etc. Going tnrough that info might help. More closeup pictures of all those details will be needed as well. Your size tag looks like a late 50's to early for 60's to me but I am only a novice historian here on the lounge.

Just Daniel and Gazman G. like this.
  8. Gazman G.

Gazman G. New in Town

Thank you will definitely have a look. I also own a Stetson straw fedora,but it's brand new.

9. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

A 60’s Stetson it’s a hat not much more. If you are just starting to get into Fedora wearing it is a tip toe into the water. An as you progress in your knowledge and pick you a 30 or 30 ear Stetson this hat will set on the shelf and not be worn much. [emoji3]

ruvort and M Hatman like this.
  10. Gazman G.

Gazman G. New in Town

Yes my knowledge will grow as will my love for the Stetson,but this "hat" will be worn and yes sometimes shelved,but never forgotten.

M Hatman, hatsRme and Just Daniel like this.
  11. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

Nice! The other threads for Stetson dates do have a ton of information you’ll get to know well, but looking through it all can be quite daunting.

From what I have seen, clues from earliest to latest:

1) the platic liner would indicate ‘52 at the earliest,
    2) the black sweat and the size tag indicate late 50s
    3) the liner crest is most likely early 60s

Enjoy the hat, and welcome to the Lounge! From my little time here everyone is nice and happy to share information with fellow addicts!

Daniel

DOGMAN and Gazman G. like this.
  12. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

What I see is it is foreign made and the criteria for dating it is very different compared to American Stetsons.

13. deadlyhandsome

The photos lack the resolution needed. It would also be helpful to have photos of any labels etc. that are behind the sweatband. Is this a Canadian hat? Is it a German contract hat? You don’t provide enough high resolution photos for much accuracy.

From the style, I’d guess it was a 1970s to 1980s hat, but it could be a 1960s. It certainly looks like a specimen made after the decline in quality hat making.

You’d do well to spend some hours looking at the various dating guides. Also don’t be surprised or offended if one of the bartenders (site moderators) merge your thread into an existing thread; it happens to us all.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...to-discuss-the-age-of-your-vintage-hat.30350/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Gazman G. likes this.
  14. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

that is not a US produced Stetson therefor none of the dating clues most are going by apply

this is a post 60s hat to my eye ...

M Hatman, DOGMAN, Just Daniel and 2 others like this.
  15. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

Great point Vic, I was figuring that but figured on taking a quick shot to help.

Also it could be pieces and parts of various innards-

Daniel

16. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

highly unlikely

M Hatman likes this.
  17. GWD

GWD One Too Many

Based on the liner and style, my best guestimation is 60's - 70's.

18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

April 9, 1969 at 2:50 PM. It was the next to last hat off the line that day before the shift ended.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Zombie_61, hatsRme, M Hatman and 6 others like this.
  19. deadlyhandsome

I thought I recognized old Stanley’s work; no one sewed in those cheap quasi leather sweats like he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zombie_61, hatsRme, M Hatman and 2 others like this.
  20. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

can't really base dating on style when a hat made out of the US because they did not follow American trends

you will commonly see European hats that are dead ringers for 60s or 70s US hats and you find out they were made in the 1940s

but I do agree with your dating