Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Interesting that it's for the French market and I have it. Hmmmm. Thanks for link, Steur. Escapade. I wonder about what year it is?

Interesting that it's for the French market and I have it. Hmmmm. Thanks for link, Steur. Escapade. I wonder about what year it is?
I should make that a bit wider: Meddens was actually a Dutch clothingstore chain (I thought the name sounded familiar). Founded in 1830 and the last one closed in 2011.
meddens.jpg

I have two of these Escapade hats myself, which I have down as sixties hats, but I think they started making these earlier, probably from the mid to late fifties on.
flechet escapade granit_6.jpg
flechet escapade_7.jpg

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Those are nice. Mine has the same material--seems almost like a Selentino Queen--but a same-felt, and thinner, ribbon. Perhaps its earlier than yours?

I have recently taken in this new specimen and wonder if anyone is familiar with the brand. It's pretty clean, so I might just wipe it down and wear it. It's got kind of a velour feel to it. Pictures are below: View attachment 160184
View attachment 160185

I’ve not been impressed with my US made Flèche hats. The French made hats are a whole different (nicer) animal. Good get.

Gazman G.

New in Town
Recently bought a Stetson online but all the seller could tell me about it is that he purchased through an Estate Sale.Also might mention that these are the seller's pics not mine. I know it's probably a bit premature but Would very much appreciate all or any information on this great old Stetson. Will upload more detailed pictures when it arrives. Also might help to mention that I'm in Australia so it's fair to say that it may not be U.S. stock.Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190331_093226.png
    IMG_20190331_093226.png
    287.2 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_20190331_093301.png
    IMG_20190331_093301.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_20190331_092647.png
    IMG_20190331_092647.png
    399.8 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
In the Links to Important Hat Thread thread, there are several threads on dating based on liner info, size tag, sweatband stamps, etc. Going tnrough that info might help. More closeup pictures of all those details will be needed as well. Your size tag looks like a late 50's to early for 60's to me but I am only a novice historian here on the lounge.

Gazman G.

New in Town
In the Links to Important Hat Thread thread, there are several threads on dating based on liner info, size tag, sweatband stamps, etc. Going tnrough that info might help. More closeup pictures of all those details will be needed as well. Your size tag looks like a late 50's to early for 60's to me but I am only a novice historian here on the lounge.
Thank you will definitely have a look. I also own a Stetson straw fedora,but it's brand new.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
A 60’s Stetson it’s a hat not much more. If you are just starting to get into Fedora wearing it is a tip toe into the water. An as you progress in your knowledge and pick you a 30 or 30 ear Stetson this hat will set on the shelf and not be worn much. [emoji3]

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Nice! The other threads for Stetson dates do have a ton of information you’ll get to know well, but looking through it all can be quite daunting.

From what I have seen, clues from earliest to latest:

1) the platic liner would indicate ‘52 at the earliest,
2) the black sweat and the size tag indicate late 50s
3) the liner crest is most likely early 60s

Enjoy the hat, and welcome to the Lounge! From my little time here everyone is nice and happy to share information with fellow addicts!

Daniel

Yes my knowledge will grow as will my love for the Stetson,but this "hat" will be worn and yes sometimes shelved,but never forgotten.

The photos lack the resolution needed. It would also be helpful to have photos of any labels etc. that are behind the sweatband. Is this a Canadian hat? Is it a German contract hat? You don’t provide enough high resolution photos for much accuracy.

From the style, I’d guess it was a 1970s to 1980s hat, but it could be a 1960s. It certainly looks like a specimen made after the decline in quality hat making.

You’d do well to spend some hours looking at the various dating guides. Also don’t be surprised or offended if one of the bartenders (site moderators) merge your thread into an existing thread; it happens to us all.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...to-discuss-the-age-of-your-vintage-hat.30350/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Great point Vic, I was figuring that but figured on taking a quick shot to help.

Also it could be pieces and parts of various innards-

Daniel

What I see is it is foreign made and the criteria for dating it is very different compared to American Stetsons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ