Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gazman G.

New in Town
Recently acquired this sweet little number.
Stetson Turin...
According to the article I found it must have been made around this period 61.

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_121310.jpg
    IMG_20190402_121310.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 622
  • IMG_20190402_121253.jpg
    IMG_20190402_121253.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 634
  • IMG_20190402_121625.jpg
    IMG_20190402_121625.jpg
    997.1 KB · Views: 608
  • Screenshot_2019-04-02-12-07-14.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-02-12-07-14.png
    679.5 KB · Views: 587
The hat in the advertisement is different from yours. The advert shows a grosgrain ribbon and a pin on the bow. Your hat has a felt/self “ribbon” and a buckle without a bow. There appears to be other differences as well.

We who collect them all have hats that are mysteries and defy identification or dating. In the end, all that matters is if you like the hat. Some of my favorite hats these “nothing special” hats.

On the sweatband or the liner, does it show where it was made? The metric size tag means it could be a Biltmore or Mayser contract hat. I’ve never seen an Akubra Stetson in that style, but, as far as I know, that could be a possibility too. The oddballs are interesting to me.

I found this small unverified blurb suggestions that the Stetson Turin was made by Borsalino:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tripadeal.com.au/mag/2017/09/20/around-world-hats/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gazman G.

New in Town
The hat in the advertisement is different from yours. The advert shows a grosgrain ribbon and a pin on the bow. Your hat has a felt/self “ribbon” and a buckle without a bow. There appears to be other differences as well.

We who collect them all have hats that are mysteries and defy identification or dating. In the end, all that matters is if you like the hat. Some of my favorite hats these “nothing special” hats.

On the sweatband or the liner, does it show where it was made? The metric size tag means it could be a Biltmore or Mayser contract hat. I’ve never seen an Akubra Stetson in that style, but, as far as I know, that could be a possibility too. The oddballs are interesting to me.

I found this small unverified blurb suggestions that the Stetson Turin was made by Borsalino:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tripadeal.com.au/mag/2017/09/20/around-world-hats/amp/

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_121551.jpg
    IMG_20190402_121551.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 629

Gazman G.

New in Town
Upon closer examination I can faintly make out that at one stage that it may in fact had a ribbon. Might have to try one on for size one day,still a delightful little hat.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Upon closer examination I can faintly make out that at one stage that it may in fact had a ribbon. Might have to try one on for size one day,still a delightful little hat.

It's unlikely a ribbon was replaced with a matching felted band, by virtue of it being a matching felted band.

Hat model names are perplexing at best and more than a few have been recycled, or have had their specs updated as changing styles dictated. The Open Road was originally a wide ribbon hat before it became the venerable dress western hat that still exists in the modern Stetson line.

If you like this style, eBay should have many hats for you. Lots of 60's and 70's stingies have similar lines and proportions. Not exactly the best hats ever made, but the price is often right.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
A new hat and a new thread...let’s see if there are other Stetson Turin hats out in the ether...

Don’t sweat the differences between your hat and the ad too much, as the guys indicate above models changed frequently even from one year to the next.

Dating the hat based on the ad is certainly tricky, especially with a hat made overseas, but the ad marks a point in time you can use to start. Just doing the research and finding something is half the fun.

Enjoy it!

Daniel

Gazman G.

New in Town

A new hat and a new thread...let’s see if there are other Stetson Turin hats out in the ether...

Don’t sweat the differences between your hat and the ad too much, as the guys indicate above models changed frequently even from one year to the next.

Dating the hat based on the ad is certainly tricky, especially with a hat made overseas, but the ad marks a point in time you can use to start. Just doing the research and finding something is half the fun.

Enjoy it!

Daniel
Thanks, I will enjoy it very much so,and yes researching these hats is fun and challenging at times but well worth it.
Already looking for my next gem. I'm hooked.

Gazman G.

New in Town

If you don't mind me asking, how Long have you been collecting for? Dang you've got some fine hats.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Enjoy it!

Daniel

That's true. I have a Game Bird, as do quite a few other folks here, and none of them share any (many?) characteristics other than that they are hats.

Every story has to have a beginning. I'm guessing you haven't reached your last chapter yet. I hope your journey like mine is long and fruitful.

Thank you, and right back atcha, Mr. G. I’m just delighted to be part of this group! There are folks here that can call ME a newby, relatively speaking. We’re all friends with great respect. And We do have fun!!

You are correct in your guess, sir... I’m not dead yet!!

Recently acquired this sweet little number.
Stetson Turin...
According to the article I found it must have been made around this period 61.

So, some people with better eyes or better monitors were able to make out the made in Australia on the sweatband. The Australian company Akubra once held the license to manufacture Stetsons in Australia. The best known of those hats was the Open Road which is still being produced by Akubra as the Campdraft (sometimes spelled Camp Draft) after the Stetson license expired. Akubra made and makes sturdy and long-wearing hats. Even the older ones I’ve seen were more rugged than refined, but good hats all the same. Akubra still has an almost cult like following.

Just a housekeeping suggestion: when possible, it is appreciated if you can find an appropriate existing thread to add on to rather than creating a new thread. You creating a new thread for your Turin is appropriate as there wasn’t an existing thread dedicated to it. Otherwise, the Post New Hats Here thread etc. are where we post hats.
We all stumble around a bit until we get it figured out so don’t worry about a few missteps. I hope you continue to post and grow your hat collection (as long as it’s size 7 1/2 [60 cm] or less. :)

Gazman G.

New in Town
So, some people with better eyes or better monitors were able to make out the made in Australia on the sweatband. The Australian company Akubra once held the license to manufacture Stetsons in Australia. The best known of those hats was the Open Road which is still being produced by Akubra as the Campdraft (sometimes spelled Camp Draft) after the Stetson license expired. Akubra made and makes sturdy and long-wearing hats. Even the older ones I’ve seen were more rugged than refined, but good hats all the same. Akubra still has an almost cult like following.

Just a housekeeping suggestion: when possible, it is appreciated if you can find an appropriate existing thread to add on to rather than creating a new thread. You creating a new thread for your Turin is appropriate as there wasn’t an existing thread dedicated to it. Otherwise, the Post New Hats Here thread etc. are where we post hats.
We all stumble around a bit until we get it figured out so don’t worry about a few missteps. I hope you continue to post and grow your hat collection (as long as it’s size 7 1/2 [60 cm] or less. :)

Gazman G.

New in Town
Hi everyone looking at maybe adding another Stetson. Today I saw a Black Lancer by Maurice L Rothschild and being a Newby was needing your opinions on what to look for,price,condition and so on.
All advice would be appreciated...Thanks.G.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-03-16-59-08.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-03-16-59-08.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_20190403_165846.png
    IMG_20190403_165846.png
    382.5 KB · Views: 570
Hi everyone looking at maybe adding another Stetson. Today I saw a Black Lancer by Maurice L Rothschild and being a Newby was needing your opinions on what to look for,price,condition and so on.
All advice would be appreciated...Thanks.G.

Many hats will have the name of the store that sold them printed on the leather sweatband or printed on the liner; that is not a model or style name, just the name of the store.

No one can tell you what style to look for as that is a personal preference. Most of us here like hats with more brim width, more crown height, and less taper to the crown. We also tend to prefer older hats when the felt was ever so much nicer and the build quality was higher. The hats we tend to prefer also tend to cost more.

To determine the age of the hat you’ll need more than what is shown in your photos.

I’d recommend spending time reading the threads here and seeing what hats others wear that you like.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points