Looking for hat information?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by D00R, Mar 19, 2007.

1. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

The “boxy” look is something a lot of us prefer as that’s how many of the hats made in the golden era were made. The tapered look of a lot of modern hats is a big turn-off to us. The good thing is they are open crown hats and you can change the way they look by changing the crease.

If you like tapered pre-creased hats you should check out the Akubra Stylemaster.

Jerm and Frunobulax like this.
  2. Jerm

Jerm New in Town

bb0eaca530b45822874786cc9bb47330.jpg

This is kind of what I'm looking for. I have a new stratoliner and love it, but its to nice for what i want. The closest i have found is this Stetson and an akubra stylemaster. But the brims on david beckhams aren't stiff and poppy. Thanks for replys and photos of your hats

3. Jerm

Jerm New in Town

This hat has a worn beaten look to it

Attached Files:

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  4. Jerm

Jerm New in Town

e743ffe4852b4cd4011eb8c72643cd45.jpg

5. Jerm

Jerm New in Town

I think its just how they wear them. I like an open road with a cattle crease. But when they're open they are to big for me. As for a stylemaster, its one of my options other than this stetson.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. deadlyhandsome

It’s become trendy to have a distressed bohemian looking hats. Several hatters have sprung up offering such services. These styles of hats aren’t very popular here on The Lounge. You can buy a used/vintage hat, you can commission a custom distressed hat, you can buy a hat and distress it yourself. You can get a hat and treat it rough, rub some soil into it, throw it in a dryer with some heavy items to beat it up. If that’s the style I was after, I’d spend some hours on eBay. They model in your photos might be sporting the latest fashion accessories, but I think that look will be short lived.

7. deadlyhandsome

Most here are just the other way. We tend to prefer taller crowns and wider brims of the golden era. That’s not to say there isn’t room for diversity: I have several stingy brims and some with quite modest crowns. As a general rule, those new to hats prefer modest brims and crowns, but with exposure and time they tend to go for wider and higher. We also tend to look for straight-sided crowns for a more boxy look. Of course there is a lot of variety here and I’m speaking in generalities.

The good news is the shorter brim and smaller crown hats are more plentiful and cheaper on the vintage market.

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  8. BIGG SHOW

BIGG SHOW New in Town

Hello all,
    Anyone have any info on the Stetson Barnstormer? Any pics? I read that it’s discontinued so I’m wondering if it’s worth picking on up while I can?

On another note, what’s the difference in felt stiffness varieties in Akubra Campdrafts? What are they called? Also, if I wanted to buy a Campdraft, is there a preferred online retailer? as always, any info is appreciated!
    Cheers

9. deadlyhandsome

Just a housekeeping suggestion: such questions are more appropriate for the Ask a Question, Get an Answer thread. You can also post to more specific existing threads. The Lounge, perhaps unlike other forums you’re used to, doesn’t encourage the creation of new threads when there are existing threads that can be added on to.

Two of the popular sources for Akubra hats are Everything Australian and Hat Direct/The Hattery. Both are very reputable retailers. Of them, only Hats Direct carry the Deluxe grade. More than the felt, I’ve noticed a difference in the quality of the leather sweatbands. There is a difference in the felt too, but it also varies by run etc. You can also try Hats by The Hundred, but I had a bad experience once and stopped using them.

I don’t know anything about the Barnstormer.

10. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 A-List Customer

Here is a link for information on the Barnstormer from Stetsons website.
    https://www.stetson.com/store/barnstormer-fedora-1.html

Steven