Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Welcome!
There’s nothing wrong with your hat, but it’s not the type of hat we see a lot of here. The Fedora Lounge was started as a site focused on the Golden Age/Era and that’s where most of the interest still is. It’s rare that we see leather, suede, cotton, polyester, etc. hats around here. We certainly don’t have the “dating threads” dedicated to those hats. We welcome your contributions and hope you stick around, but neither the style, construction, nor brand of your hat is commonly seen here so I doubt we will be able to answer your questions.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
^^^
What Brent said...
But here's the thing about such hats as yours. They are a good way to tell if you like a brimmed hat and won't break the bank. Many of the folks here started off with hats we might not wear now as our hat tastes have developed and matured. I had a few woolies and a Dorfman waxed leather fedora that I wore a lot years ago. Not my thing now, but then I liked them.
So, wear it, and check out the site and all the cool hat pics. You may see one (or many) that you like better.
And, welcome to the hat world!

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
Thank you kindly for the prompt responses. I’ve been a hat fan for quite a while and I’ve visited this site several times. I recently bought my first Stetson so I figured it was time to join. I’ve had many hats in the past but never spent more than $50 total. I bought a Stetson Chatham fedora last week. That’s the first plunge I’ve taken as far as spending any (what I’d consider) real cash on a lid. As far as the Trav’ler I inquired about, with all due respect, I was well aware it was out of the realm here so to speak but it’s a hat and I thought maybe you all being hat enthusiasts might possibly have some idea of its age so I took a shot. I certainly appreciate you both taking the time to respond!

I plan to have my Chatham re blocked into a cattleman’s crease. I also plan to have a self buckle leather band added as well. I tried to reblock it myself with a steamer the Wife has, I was able to bash it out so to speak but it kept returning to it's original shape. Too much stiffener I guess? Either of you gents have any thoughts on that?
Thanks again! Cheers!

Jerm

New in Town
Anybody know when these will be available to buy?
images.jpeg

Last edited:
Says in production? All i can find on them is they were taking funding to produce them

It says in the above linked website that they will be out the first week in April if ordered after 12/12.

Personally, I don’t see the appeal of the hat since it’s wool, has a cloth sweatband, sports a machine pressed crown, doesn’t have the dimensions/shape I like, and has a very odd looking “ribbon.” This is more of a trendy fashion hat to be worn this season and replaced the next. Just my personal opinion.

Jerm

New in Town
I love the stratoliner which is probably why i like this hat so much. Looks like it would make a great beater hat to throw in truck. Although i doubt its beater price! I think the akubra campdraft is vastly overrated and looks silly, but its very popular hat. So preference is personal

Last edited:
I'm curious why you think it looks silly. It's literally blocked on Open Road blocks that were used when Akubra had the rights to make Stetsons in Australia. Unless, of course, you don't like Open Roads, either.

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
It says in the above linked website that they will be out the first week in April if ordered after 12/12.

Personally, I don’t see the appeal of the hat since it’s wool, has a cloth sweatband, sports a machine pressed crown, doesn’t have the dimensions/shape I like, and has a very odd looking “ribbon.” This is more of a trendy fashion hat to be worn this season and replaced the next. Just my personal opinion.
What he said.
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
My other observation is this, $150 for a wool hat with a cloth sweatband is a bit steep when you can get a "real" Stratoliner that is fur felt with a leather sweatband for @ $40 more and it will definitely outlast and outwear the wool hat. Everyone's style and taste is their own as it should be, but personally when I find a style I like and am on a budget I weigh cost, materials, durability and longevity and try to get the best bang for my buck.

Jerm

New in Town
My other observation is this, $150 for a wool hat with a cloth sweatband is a bit steep when you can get a "real" Stratoliner that is fur felt with a leather sweatband for @ $40 more and it will definitely outlast and outwear the wool hat. Everyone's style and taste is their own as it should be, but personally when I find a style I like and am on a budget I weigh cost, materials, durability and longevity and try to get the best bang for my buck.

I agree. I want it for a beater truck hat, but im afraid they are going to want to much for it. I am hoping the $148 is just retail and will be sold for less. If not you're correct as id prob be better off just getting a stratoliner for a beater

Jerm

New in Town
I'm curious why you think it looks silly. It's literally blocked on Open Road blocks that were used when Akubra had the rights to make Stetsons in Australia. Unless, of course, you don't like Open Roads, either.

Ive never saw one in person, but every picture ive saw of them they just look like they sit really high on a head, are clunky, and boxy. I could be wrong and id love to see one in person

I love the stratoliner which is probably why i like this hat so much. I think the akubra campdraft is vastly overrated and looks silly, but its very popular hat. So preference is personal

Sure, I get that preferences are personal. I wear lots of hats that others here wouldn’t ever consider wearing. However, low quality materials and construction is less subjective. For that price I think you can do better.

I think you’re the first person I’ve heard say the Campdraft/Open Road is “silly.” My only gripe with the Campdraft is that the crown is 1/2” lower than I’d prefer. Vive la différence.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Ive never saw one in person, but every picture ive saw of them they just look like they sit really high on a head, are clunky, and boxy. I could be wrong and id love to see one in person

Understood sir. I can not meet you in person, but here is a link to the hat when I recieved it in Feb.2013 - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-draft-2-5-8s-brim.66763/page-22#post-1589319 .

The above link showcases a Fedora Lounge version of the CD with a 2.5" brim in bluegrass. My hat has proven weather resistant. Rain, snow hard work the hat "keeps on ticking." Hat's leather sweats do not do well sitting in a hot truck.

My personal experiences of wool (early hat purchase in 2013) was terrible. It showed stains, marks and was misshapened the first wear in a light rain. Blocking, steaming never brought that hat back to wearable condition. I donated it and have moved on.

i-XztV2Gb-M.jpg

Work and weather do not have me stopping wearing my modern beaver felts from Gannon nor the Akubra CD.

i-nwcNB6h-M.jpg

(Gannon in granite beaver with charcoal trimmings).

Best in your search sir.

Eric -

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
There is a wealth of information on this site in threads dedicated entirely to the Campdraft, modern and vintage Open Roads and modern/vintage Stratoliners. I would recommend sticking around, seeking out these threads, learning about each hat and then picking the one that works best for you. Because, in the end your going to wear it. Most of the folks on this site were once where you are now, and much of what you are going through now is documented in the hat threads though their experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto