Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Im not sure if its a

Stetson
Borsolino
Selentino

I was hoping this forum could help me find the hat im looking for.

hat1dk8.jpg

hat5ro1.jpg

D00R

One of the Regulars
after reading those threads it added to my conclusions.

heres all the information combined with my conclusions...or what is a best close match to the hat..

1.the Selentino Alpha
selentinoalphauh8.jpg

Unusual scratch finish beaver in snap brim fedora style with matching band and binding. The brim can be snapped down in front or all around. Available in a variety of colors.

2.the Open Road Stetson
openroadstetsonxi4.jpg

Material: 4X Fur Felt
Brim: 2 3/4" Bound Edge
Crown: 4"
Band: 3/8" Grograin Band
Colors: Silver Belly, Black
Sizes: 6 3/4 - 7 3/4

3.1.the Stetson Royal Stratoliner
vintagestratoliner3dc4.jpg

Vintage Stetson Royal Stratoliner in fawn. 2-1/2 inch bound edge brim, blocked to a 4-1/2 inch crown and 4 ligne grosgrain ribbon band. Lined with a beautfiul gold satin and leather sweat. This is a beauty and the Stratoliner is a rare and highly sought-after hat. Many hat afficianados have attempted to replicate this hat.

3.1.the Alessandria by Borsalino
alessandriaborsalinohu1.jpg

Genuine fur felt with a narrow band and bound edge. Available with an open crown or can be shaped as pictured.

4.the Stetson Whippet
stetsonwhippetjc6.jpg

anyone know a hat shop that creates this hat ?

hat dealer info

"I would choose a 2-1/2 inch bound edge snap brim
(which is standard) with a 19 ligne hat ribbon in
order for it to look like the hat Depp is wearing.
It is a “C” crown which this hat comes in.
I would choose less stiff so it’s easier for
you to shape."

they also said that Depp wears a "SELENTINO"

They also recommended this hat..

3.1.the Bogart Teardrop Fedora
bogartteardropfedoratz2.jpg

soft Fur Felt Tear Drop Fedora Hat (c-crown), with a perfect 2-1/2" snap brim and matching bound edge and 16 ligne contrasting ribbon. Change to a 4 Ligne ribbon and you have a Stratoliner replica, as all other dimensions are the same. The Vintage Stetson Open Roads had the LBJ crown and a 4 ligne ribbon and bound edge.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Im curious to what other people think about the above hats that iv found.

I know some don't have the correct ribbon around the hat, or the button on the bow, but which hat closely matches his do you think ?

His hat seems kinda big on him, so im guessing the hat is taller and wider then the rest..

I can't seem to email the others who have asked about this hat, i get an error message saying i dont have the privilege.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You'll be able to send private messages to other members once you have reached 15 posts here. This is very easy. Just visit threads and when you see something you like, post a quick "nice hat!" You'll be there in no time.

I'd bet Johnny Depp is wearing a Whippet in that photo. If your hat size is 7 1/4 or smaller, you may just be able to find an original, which is the only way you're going to replicate that hat effectively. You can have one recreated, but you may not be happy with the relative stiffness of many modern felts.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Howdy, Door. Welcome to the forum. I recommend you read the FAQ to learn more about posting and messaging.

If you have a decent hatter nearby, it's not hard for them to replace a ribbon - many here have done it themselves - so if you're looking for a hat to look like that one, choose for the basic body and brim proportions, and for the finish at the edge of the brim, and then you can have it blocked and a ribbon installed to suit yourself.

And I echo the earlier comment - find one in better shape than Depp's. He must pick it up by the pinch instead of the brim, as it shows more than one crack in the felt.

D00R said:
Im not sure if its a

Stetson
Borsolino
Selentino

I was hoping this forum could help me find the hat im looking for.

hat1dk8.jpg

hat5ro1.jpg

Actually, I think it might be a Mallory. Many Mallorys and other vintage brands I have seen have the button sewn on the ribbon like that instead of loose like the Stetson. Those hats have the wind trolley that is actually a loop that you attach to a button instead of a button you put in a button hole to prevent your hat from flying away.
I would look for the Mallory if that is exactly what you want in style.

1945MAlhats.jpg

I tried to get a good example but this is all I could come up with on short notice.

Regards,

J

RBH

Bartender
Welcome Friend!

Your gonna love it here.
I think your best bet will be a Stetson Whippet. That said they are few and far between, in my size at least.
There are a lot of hats that will give you that look but until we know for sure you will just have to go with one that is close to what you want.
Good luck.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcoming guys.

Mallory, isn't that the Idiana Jones hat? Iv also read that The Mallory Company was acquired by the John B. Stetson Hat Company in the early 1950's which is why there simillar.

where can I buy a whippet?

none of the hats i posted links to are a good look a like?

can I buy a new hat in a soft felt so I can form it the way he has it? You can see its rounded on his scalp in the back.

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
D00R said:
Thanks for the welcoming guys.

I don't think it's a Mallory, isn't that the Idiana Jones hat?

where can I buy a whippet?

none of the hats i posted links to are a good look a like?

can I buy a new hat in a soft felt so I can form it the way he has it? You can see its rounded on his scalp in the back.

This is the Indiana Jones hat as made by Steve Delk at Adventurebilt.

Whippets can usually be found on eBay. There have been a bunch coming up as of late. There is no way of getting a new one unless you find one on the bay in decent shape. Unfortunately, they aren't made any more.

The shape that the hat forms on his scalp is basically a C crown or teardrop bash. Some steam should help you shape it.

Welcome to the lounge!

D00R

One of the Regulars
thanks for welcoming me,

how do you steam a hat? with an iron?

im really leaning towards the alessandra borsilano, but im not sure if the rim is wide enough, his looks pretty wide out.

anyone notice on the Selintino Alpha theres a button on the ribbon. that hat is pretty damn close to it, but the crown doesnt seem wide or high enough. i cant tell from the pic..

selentinoalphalrgaz3.jpg

D00R

One of the Regulars
thanks for the steam tip.

this is actually a Mallroy..

mossmallory.jpg

it looks close but the band is off, the ribbon is to high.

how can i get in contact with the hat maker? is there any way i can see his work? im interested.

D00R

One of the Regulars
hat1dk8.jpg

Im thinking i should probably get the hat a little over sized. doesnt it look a bit big on depp?

i dont want it to fit me tight i like the bigger look, are these type of hats heavy?

D00R

One of the Regulars
cooncatbob said:

oh boy, i have to check if i emailed that guy..iv emailed so many people and that page looks familure..

holy geez his hats cost hundreds of dollars...thats out of my price range. the highest i was going was 200... nice hats though..

D00R

One of the Regulars
this is what another hat dealer said on the internet.

"We do have several styles that look like this hat in the Stetson dress line.
You could try looking at the Downs or the Windham. I am thinking the color is
cognac."

the Windhamp
windhampwt8.jpg

the Downs
downyt8.jpg

the brown one looks more like it then the gray one but the brim isn't wide enough, and the gray one is missing the stitching on the brim but the brim is wide enough...

D00R

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
what's the deal with the stitching on the brim of the stetson? It's like a bound overwelt.

yeah im not liking that, its flipped up and stitched halfway..thats not it then..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider