Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surely

A-List Customer
"People are now looking for snobs behind every post...and that is a divisive and dreadful turn of affairs, and will only create less a community....not more." Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie, I respectfully disagree with your last sentence.

How do you know people are looking behind every post? It's actually under the rugs where this issue has been swept.

What is so divisive and dreadful? It's only been a few days of rollicking fun with this one speed bump. And look, it was just resolved, for the time being.

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
It's a personal question, expecting a certain kind of answer and that kind alone....is rather odd considering there are 8000 people here with differing opinions of things.

Asking an open-ended question designed to elicit personal responses isn't odd at all, particularly in light of the fact that there are so many individuals on this forum. It's wonderful, in fact, because it can generate some really great discussions. Like this one.

Miss Neecerie said:
Discussing it over here as some example of snobbishness is even more silly, when no snobbery was intended in people answering the question how they -honestly- feel they would. It is -ascribing- some motivation to others, that they may or may not even hold.

Perception is reality. Perhaps their responses were honest and not meant to come across as snobbish, but I felt they did. And I felt the need to call them on it because it was done in a thread posted by a new FL member.

Miss Neecerie said:
People are now looking for snobs behind every post...and that is a divisive and dreadful turn of affairs, and will only create less a community....not more.

I wasn't looking for snobs, I stumbled upon what I (whether correctly or incorrectly - that is arguable) interpreted as snobbishness towards a newbie by established members. And I charged in on my white steed to defend the newbie who might have decided to stop participating and posting because some established members felt his thread was silly. That's all. [huh] Then it occurred to me it might serve the greater good on this thread so I posted it as an example. The resulting discussion has been lively, thought-provoking and illuminating. Nothing bad about that.

Feraud

Bartender
surely said:
It's actually under the rugs where this issue has been swept.
This comment speaks volumes. Care to elaborate?

I strongly agree with MissNeecerie that such sentiment if shared by a number of people indeed creates a less harmonious community.

surely

A-List Customer
Feraud, I asked you first why you think "A dispassionate discussion on snobbery is so... snobbish" and then added a yucky face. I don't know if you're being serious or not but I am taking you at face value. Why is a dispassionate discussion on snobbery so yucky? Is it the dispassionate or snobbery which is so yucky. If you meant that true snobery is yucky than we are in total agreement.

But I will elaborate first. Well, I thought to turn "looking behind posts to sweeping ..." was a clever/witty expression, a form which is highly appreciated in this thread.

I couldn't find where this concept has been discussed openly in the Lounge. I know it is a difficult topic, but I thought we were doing a pretty good job of it.

more to follow

Story

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Some substandard quotes.

*Sniff*

"The true snob never rests: there is always
a higher goal to attain, and there are, by
the same token, always more and
more people to look down upon."

- 'J. Russell Lynes

alexandra

Practically Family
I have a funny feeling that a few of you are confusing being opinionated and being snobby.

If anything, I think certain areas could do with a little less sugar coating. I know I'm pretty new and I'm not complaining, I just think there are situations where you have to really tone down what you feel about something or preface it with "this is just my stupid opinion, but..."

Story

I'll Lock Up
alexandra said:
If anything, I think certain areas could do with a little less sugar coating.

Ok, cupcake - the gloves are off.

You're *sniff* Canadian.

surely

A-List Customer
And if I remenber correctly, it was Baron Kurtz who made a good argument that this is not a community. I don't know if he is correct, maybe an association of like minded people would be better. But to say that we would need a discussion.

I surely feel that your concerns are premature. So far it seems that only some Bartenders are concerned. Others have joined in the fun.

My purpose here was to follow SIR Scotrace's admonition to help make this a better place. Can you think of a better place to air out an issue in a civilized and gracious manner?

Random thought: Perhaps the problem is in adopting the clothing style of the so-called golden era people mistakenly thought it was cool to adopt the values and manners so often seen in the old movies. Especially the 1930's which oozed behavior we all would probably agree exemplified snobbery.

Story

I'll Lock Up
alexandra said:
No doot aboot it.

poo_monkey_bumper.gif

I am too good to argue such arcane nonsense.
The test results:
You scored 47% Tough, 19% Roguish, 4% Friendly, and 28% Charming!
You, my friend, are a man's man, the original true grit, one tough talking, swaggering SOB. You're not a bad guy, on the contrary, you're the ultimate good guy, but you're one tough character, rough and tumble, ready for anything. You call the shots and go your own way, and if some screwy dame is willing to accept your terms, that's just fine by you. Otherwise, you'll just hit the open trail and stay true to yourself. You stand up for what you believe and can handle any situation, usually by rushing into the thick of the action. You're not polished and you're not overly warm, but you're a straight shooter and a real stand up guy. Co-stars include Lauren Bacall and Maureen O'Hara, tough broads who can take care of themselves.

mt1124722696.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
alexandra said:
I have a funny feeling that a few of you are confusing being opinionated and being snobby.

If anything, I think certain areas could do with a little less sugar coating. I know I'm pretty new and I'm not complaining, I just think there are situations where you have to really tone down what you feel about something or preface it with "this is just my stupid opinion, but..."

Snobbishness is based upon opinion. Websters defines a snob as "an individual, often a social climber, arrogantly convinced of the superiority of his own tastes and interests." The difference between the snob and the opinionated is that the snob's opinion is that what they prefer is superior simply because that's what they (or those they aspire to be like) have decided that it is, whereas the opinionated persons opinion is (hopefully) based in fact, experience, or both. Of course, that's not to say that the strongly opinionated person cannot come across as an arrogant jerk, but I suspect that when that happens they're crossing over into snobbishness.

I myself am quite guilty of snobbishness towards the area I currently live in. I don't fit in here in rural southern Ohio. I wouldn't know how to even if I tried. I do a lot of the same things others do around here, such as driving a tractor to mow the fields, but look with distaste at things many people around here do for fun that they don't see is wrong. Things like trespassing on other people's property to ride their 4-wheelers (tearing up fields in the process) is one example. I am also a beer snob. Given the choice between a soda and the usual offerings of Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light, etc I'll take the soda every time. :beer:

We see snobbishness across these forums--against wool hats, baseball caps, modern clothing, and more.

A certain amount of snobbishness abounds in everyday life. We know it's there, sometimes we'll call someone on their attitude, often we just ignore it. Perhaps there are times when we shouldn't ignore it, but I don't think of it as being something that's swept under the rug here in the Lounge. I don't necessarily think it's a problem that needs to be fixed, either. It's just a part of life.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :p

Cheers,
Tom

Story

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
I myself am quite guilty of snobbishness towards the area I currently live in. I don't fit in here in rural southern Ohio. I wouldn't know how to even if I tried.

Have you noticed the inordinate amount of roadkill besmirching the shoulders of Route 70?

I figured the local critters got so bored with those flatlands, they commited chrome-plated suicide.

Foofoogal

Banned
arrogantly convinced of the superiority of his own tastes and interests

I am an opinionated snob. ;)

I had to put a sign on my land as some hillbilly thought it was fine to come on my land and go around one particular huge oak tree till all the grass was gone in his 4 wheeler. Had visions of me going out and finding them wrapped around said tree. Called my insurance company so put out signs. Now I have a fence around the whole thing. If they would of maybe asked politely to use my land as a place to build a fort it would of probably been ok but to be so presumptious wasn't nice. :eek:fftopic:

Back to snobbery now. Everyone for whatever reasons in real life has areas they are snobs in. That is why the FL is such fun. Get to hear people opinions I would probably never approach. Some make me very content about my decisions in my life, some make me grateful, some make me sad, and some make me think.........

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
The Dame said:
[huh] Not nearly as bad as being a jacka$$ towards a new member when s/he doesn't deserve it. [bad]

Everyone has done at least one thing to deserve being treated like a jackass, be it watching a Johnny Knoxville film or enjoying WWE...

ShortClara

One Too Many
alexandra said:
I just think there are situations where you have to really tone down what you feel about something or preface it with "this is just my stupid opinion, but..."

This is only if I ever had a stupid opinion, yes? [huh] I cannot imagine such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW