Suggest first Panama

Discussion in 'Hats' started by dawgvet, Aug 31, 2012.

1. dawgvet

dawgvet Familiar Face

Been thinking of finding a Panama fedora and was wondering what you all might suggest. I tend to like tall, straight crowns with a teardrop or center dent bash. Brims usually 2.5 to 2.75 inches. As this will be my first Panama, was looking to keep budget fairly modest to start with (<$100). Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jed

2. Panama Bob....

3. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Robert Weber (Panama Bob at the Lounge). I think most everyone around here will agree that his offerings are the real deal.
    http://panamas.biz/

Check these threads. Also learn about the looks of the different weave counts. Since this is going to be your first Panama hat, aiming low is not a bad idea. You should know, however, that Panama hats are generally a lot more expensive than felt hats of comparable quality levels.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?30760-Panama-Bob

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?38152-Panama-Hat-Thread

4. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

I'd suggest the least expensive one that Bob sells because it's not likely that you'll get the dimensions you love the first time out. If you luck out and DO get the perfect hat, you can always buy the best quality one next season.

Later

5. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

There will be lower prices now that the season's over. Just pick one and go with it. The demonstration value of an inexpensive first hat is high.

6. +1 and well said.

7. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

My first panama was a discounted hat from Panama Bob, and it is superb.

8. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab

Are you speaking from experience? I bend over backwards to try to get people what they've asked for. If something wasn't requested, then I have no idea. If I flubbed and you didn't tell me, again, I have no idea. I know that the USA blockers, too, bend over backwards to get things as close as possible. They are handmade, so we ask for some leeway.

9. Not-Bogart13

Not-Bogart13 Call Me a Cab

Bob and Jed, I was thinking along the same lines as 1961MJS. I won't presume to speak in his stead, but I can clarify why I would agree.

I have dealt with, by my reckoning, the best and most customer-satisfaction-oriented hatters out there (including yourself), but I've had my share of unsuitable lids. I believe that, no matter how much effort is put in by the vendor, maker, and customer to get things right, there will always be room for error when buying online... especially with a new hat style. And returning isn't always the best option for a customer. Add to that the considerations of personal taste, which is to say that it sometimes takes a while for a hat wearer to figure out what he/she likes.

As an example, my early forays into straw hats included a beautiful custom cuenca, made to specs that reflected many of my favorite felt fedoras. Yet, on my head, the results were less than perfect. I figured I just needed to get used to it. However, after buying a few cheap beater straws I realized that, for some reason, the best specs on me for a felt hat were not the same with a straw hat. I can't explain why, but lesson learned. For me, it was an expensive lesson, but it doesn't have to be.

10. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab

I also suggest to buy on the low end to test the hats out. I also push to have the hats blocked stateside because you'll find no Fawcetts, Whites, Gomezes, Millers, Sergots, Johnsons, Thompsons, nor Corvellis in Ecuador.

11. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi Bob

I'm speaking from experience, but not with you, and my comment was not directed at hatmaker mistakes, but at online buyer mistakes. I own a Beaver Brand hat with a crown that is a half inch too short, and a Stetson Temple that has a brim that is (in my opinion) a little short. My suggestion is that he buy something inexpensive until he decides exactly what he wants.

Sorry for the confusion and the late reply, I was at my Mom's house with no internet.

12. lewisskimonster

lewisskimonster Familiar Face

I picked up a Monticristi fino fedora last month that was blocked and finished in Ecuador, and am totally pleased, but it was
    $150. It could be more of a challenge in the $100 range, but it depends on really what you are looking for. Panamabob has some discounted hats that might fit the bill for you. Also, you will save on shipping as it is a little expensive coming from Ecuador.

13. dawgvet

dawgvet Familiar Face

Bob,
    Thanks for the advice. Is it possible to have the hat reblocked by a local hat shop here in the US if I would like the crown changed at some point?
    Thanks,
    Jed

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Sure, any number of hatters would be up to the task. Optimo would be my choice.

http://www.optimohats.com/alt/hat_services

15. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

No question. Without hesitation. On the square, a straight shooter, a fella better than his word.
    Recommended w/o reservation...my .o2

16. new2hats

new2hats One of the Regulars

Agreed.