Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taxi Dancers and Jazz Bands

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Hello, Mary!

My name is Chris, and I began this topic. Your dissertation is one of the best references I've found in researching my novel--I'm so thrilled you stopped by!

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I originally became interested in taxi-dancers after finding out about a great-aunt who had been a taxi-dancer in the 20s and 30s. I became intrigued with the idea of a girl who ends up leading a double life because of her job at a taxi-dance hall. What would it be like, I wondered, to have to rely on illusion both at home (the character's family believes she has a "legitimate" job) and at her work (where, as you point out, maintaining illusion is necessary for success)?

As far as I can find out, very few novels have been set in the taxi-dance world. The ones I have found are "pulp" fiction. This quote from the cover of Taxi Dancer by Eve Linkletter, 1958, is typical of the tone: "For the need of money and desire for sex, the taxi dancers wandered to all corners of life's gutters!" Yowza! (The novel itself is hilarious--unintentionally so, as you can imagine).

One of the more frustrating aspects of writing this novel is trying to get the physical details correct. I've thumbed through Cressey until I've practically memorized him, but his investigators weren't exactly privy to the women's dressing room! I actually found The Fedora Lounge when googling "garter purse." I had no idea if such a thing really existed, but I figured the women had to put their tips somewhere, and obviously they couldn't run to their lockers after every dance! Lo and behold, here on the Lounge, I found that yes, garter purses not only existed, they were widely used. But that brings up another question: Did taxi dancers use them? Or did they have another way to hold their tips? If you don't mind my asking...when you were working in the dance hall, how did you handle this?

Another thing I'm wondering is, how many gowns might a taxi dancer need? My novel is set in Chicago in the early 40's, and evening gowns would have been required. For a girl working 6 nights a week, that's an awful lot of dry cleaning if she only has a couple of gowns. But she wouldn't have money, right away, to buy half a dozen... (not to mention cleaning the one she does have...) These are little details, but if I don't understand how it worked, the reader surely won't! In your dissertation, you talked about how girls might arrive at the dance hall with little more than the clothes on their backs (I remember being surprised at the manager who offered a girl an advance on her wage). Did some women, starting out, have to wear the same dress or two over and over?

I'll stop here, and hope I haven't frightened you off! Any insights are very welcome. I would love to talk with you more, if you have the time, and you don't mind. Thanks so much for jumping in on this thread!

Cheers!
Chris

mmeckel said:
I extend my thanks to you both and to everyone who has posted about this topic. As you can easily see, I still become very enthusiastic when discussing this subject.

Mr. H, your gracious note of thanks is deeply appreciated. :) You've truly touched my heart.

Herringbonekid is right on target about Henry Miller falling in love with and marrying a taxi-dancer who appeared in his novel /sexus The mystic surrounding is, indeed, intriguing and multifacted. There's no doubt that some men wonder *how many arms have held you.*

Another consideration that cannot be ignored is this: illusion. Both the dance hall and the taxi-dancer thrive upon illusion.

I'll never forget the night the dance hall manager took me aside and reprimanded me for talking about my accurate, cronological age. One customer had asked me if I were about 23. I corrected him and said, "no, I'm actually almost 29." The manager told me in no uncertain terms that, "we deal with illusion, not reality."

Love and Laughter,

Mary M.

mmeckel

New in Town
Taxi-Dancers/A detailed reply will follow :)

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for coming forward and introducing yourself.

You can't possibly be more excited than I am about our chance meeting. I'm now 100% convinced that Jung was correct in his ideas regarding synchronicity. Perhaps we didn't meet entirely by chance. By the way, Am I correct in thinking that we live on opposite sides of the pond?

Your questions are excellent, not to mention insightful. I promise a detailed reply within the immediate future. Unfortunately, at present, I'm stumbling around, trying to do three things at a time not finding a high degree of success. Nevertheless, I do wish to send an immediate acknowledgement to your post.

I will respond to your questions and attempt in every way to support efforts in developing your novel. I will quickly ask you a couple questions. Were you able to download my dissertation from the University of Nebraska website or are you reading my published book?

I did provide an epilogue in the manuscript published by The Edwin Mellen Press. If you don't have access to the epilogue, I'll personally send you a copy.

Before I allow myself the luxury of writing a longer letter, I'll say good night and be back in touch with you very soon.

Fondly,

Mary Meckel

Chris sent the following post as a response to my prior message:

My name is Chris, and I began this topic. Your dissertation is one of the best references I've found in researching my novel--I'm so thrilled you stopped by!

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I originally became interested in taxi-dancers after finding out about a great-aunt who had been a taxi-dancer in the 20s and 30s. I became intrigued with the idea of a girl who ends up leading a double life because of her job at a taxi-dance hall. What would it be like, I wondered, to have to rely on illusion both at home (the character's family believes she has a "legitimate" job) and at her work (where, as you point out, maintaining illusion is necessary for success)?

As far as I can find out, very few novels have been set in the taxi-dance world. The ones I have found are "pulp" fiction. This quote from the cover of Taxi Dancer by Eve Linkletter, 1958, is typical of the tone: "For the need of money and desire for sex, the taxi dancers wandered to all corners of life's gutters!" Yowza! (The novel itself is hilarious--unintentionally so, as you can imagine).

One of the more frustrating aspects of writing this novel is trying to get the physical details correct. I've thumbed through Cressey until I've practically memorized him, but his investigators weren't exactly privy to the women's dressing room! I actually found The Fedora Lounge when googling "garter purse." I had no idea if such a thing really existed, but I figured the women had to put their tips somewhere, and obviously they couldn't run to their lockers after every dance! Lo and behold, here on the Lounge, I found that yes, garter purses not only existed, they were widely used. But that brings up another question: Did taxi dancers use them? Or did they have another way to hold their tips? If you don't mind my asking...when you were working in the dance hall, how did you handle this?

Another thing I'm wondering is, how many gowns might a taxi dancer need? My novel is set in Chicago in the early 40's, and evening gowns would have been required. For a girl working 6 nights a week, that's an awful lot of dry cleaning if she only has a couple of gowns. But she wouldn't have money, right away, to buy half a dozen... (not to mention cleaning the one she does have...) These are little details, but if I don't understand how it worked, the reader surely won't! In your dissertation, you talked about how girls might arrive at the dance hall with little more than the clothes on their backs (I remember being surprised at the manager who offered a girl an advance on her wage). Did some women, starting out, have to wear the same dress or two over and over?

I'll stop here, and hope I haven't frightened you off! Any insights are very welcome. I would love to talk with you more, if you have the time, and you don't mind. Thanks so much for jumping in on this thread!

Cheers!
Chris[/QUOTE]

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Dear Mary,

I absolutely believe in synchronicity--I've had too many instances in my life not to. It always arrives as an amazing gift!

I'm in Portland, Oregon. My first book is a young adult novel (Tallulah Falls) published this year by BloomsburyUSA. Bloomsbury has made an offer for my taxi-dancer novel as well. The deadline for the manuscript is March 2007, with publication in 2008.

I was able to download your dissertation online, from a site called ProQuest, which archives and sells copies of dissertations. Thank you for your offer of the epilogue! I would love to read it.

And thank you for being so supportive. To be able to communicate with one of my primary sources is incredibly exciting. I know you must be very busy, and any time you can give me is greatly appreciated! If you'd like to e-mail me directly, my address is chris@christinefletcherbooks.com.

Warmly,
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany