Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elgin1924 said:
I get a lot from kids (who I can forgive for their ... comments).

"Are you a detective" is a popular one, for some reason. If I was a detective, why would I wear clothes conspicious enough to cause an obligation in children to ask me if I am one?

"You look stupid" is pretty common, as well. Or, "Why are you wearing that?"

I just humor them until they go away.

I always love why are you wearing that questions. I just turn it around and
look them up and down asking: "Why are YOU wearing THAT?!";)
The you look stupid is another good one. "If I look stupid then you look like you escaped from a lunatic asylum in that outfit." "Your asylum called they lost their lunatic clown and want you back.":rolleyes:

Elgin1924

New in Town
jamespowers said:
I always love why are you wearing that questions. I just turn it around and
look them up and down asking: "Why are YOU wearing THAT?!";)
The you look stupid is another good one. "If I look stupid then you look like you escaped from a lunatic asylum in that outfit." "Your asylum called they lost their lunatic clown back.":rolleyes:

lol Do you mind if I use some of them?

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I've gotten "you look stupid in that hat" more than once from some of the younger folks. My usual response is "I'd rather look stupid than BE stupid. I can take off my hat...but what are you gonna do?".

bobjoy30

New in Town
Pathetic.....

thebroker said:
I've gotten "you look stupid in that hat" more than once from some of the younger folks. My usual response is "I'd rather look stupid than BE stupid. I can take off my hat...but what are you gonna do?".

Oftentimes, I am ashamed of my generation. They admire rappers and rock stars with no sense of class instead of men like Sinatra and women like Rosemary Clooney. You look wonderful; the way a man should. May true class always reign supreme.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
thebroker said:

Fine, very fine indeed, that made my night... a very Churchill sort of style.

What did he say to the woman who called him drunk? That he'd be sober the next day but she'd still be ugly... stupendous!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
bobjoy30 said:
Oftentimes, I am ashamed of my generation. They admire rappers and rock stars with no sense of class instead of men like Sinatra and women like Rosemary Clooney. You look wonderful; the way a man should. May true class always reign supreme.

I know that I am very disillusioned with my own generation, which may as well be the same one that you are describing. Seems to fit the bill alright. I'm generally a nice guy to others; friendly. I have never forgotten my valuable childhood lessons in manners and proper etiquette in society, although I do stumble. Of course I do, for nobody is perfect. On another note, I was apparently once told by a girl sitting next to me in my political science class that I am not like everyone else, here's how the email went after I was finished helping her with homework: "I know this is off the subject but, I found you on facebook...You are a very interesting person. But I'm sure you're aware you are not like everyone else..."

I'll entertain any theories as to what this may have meant.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Mr Vim said:
Fine, very fine indeed, that made my night... a very Churchill sort of style.

What did he say to the woman who called him drunk? That he'd be sober the next day but she'd still be ugly... stupendous!

I believe he said that to Nancy Astor. The song 'The D-Day Dodgers' addresses her appalling views too.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
bobjoy30 said:

I assume we belong to the same generation. Folks our age have no concept of class or style...it's sad, really. Sometimes people ask me why I'm dressed up, even when I'm not dressed up. The fact that I don't leave home without a good hat is a novelty, but then again with our generation, simply wearing a suit to work is a rarity. Throw in a bow tie and people really don't know how to act. The good news is, at least for me, it's a good tool for sorting out women. The ones with class say nice things about your appearance, while the less-than-classy ones generally say mean things. Kind of makes things easier when deciding who to pursue and who to ignore!

Feraud

Bartender
thebroker said:
The brats deserve a good rap on the chops for speaking out of line. :rolleyes:

J B said:
I know that I am very disillusioned with my own generation, which may as well be the same one that you are describing. Seems to fit the bill alright. I'm generally a nice guy to others; friendly. I have never forgotten my valuable childhood lessons in manners and proper etiquette in society, although I do stumble. Of course I do, for nobody is perfect. On another note, I was apparently once told by a girl sitting next to me in my political science class that I am not like everyone else, here's how the email went after I was finished helping her with homework: "I know this is off the subject but, I found you on facebook...You are a very interesting person. But I'm sure you're aware you are not like everyone else..."

I'll entertain any theories as to what this may have meant.

I think it's James Powers a fine member here that has a tag line about how much the youth consider themselves as individualists but in reality they are boring followers, in a sheep like sense. When people stand out from the crowd they are no longer anonymous. What we see is the developement of character and individual style as allowed by personal comfort zone and being anonymous is comfortable. People choose their style, their friends and their lives either as a conscious effort or at an unconscious developement within their comfort zone. As the growing up youth period is continually artificially lengthen the need for sameness and group psycology / sociology is continued and lengthened. The overwhelming need by people for a formula as to the choice of looks, fashion, music, political views and lifestyle to meet the self imposed demands of "sameness" particularly by these younger generations are approaching a ridgidity not seem outside of recent dictatorships. People make a prison of their lives and don't realize they themselves are the jailers.

Time to step down from the soapbox.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I'm getting tired of people who seem to think they live in a bubble. Granted, I get it more often for wearing kilts, but I have had it happen with my hats too. A person nearby will say to whomever they're with, "Is that guy wearing a skirt?" or "Look at that guy's hat! Oh my god!" I love it when people comment on my hats or kilts (be it good or bad, I love throwing it back at them when they try to be derogatory), but it irks me to no end when they don't think I can hear them five feet away talking about me. I usually pretend like I don't hear them, but I think from this point on I'm going to turn and start talking to these people about whatever it is that drew the comment. I'm expecting some very shocked individuals =)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I re-read that with a bad German accent in mind and it was much better.

John in Covina said:
I think it's James Powers a fine member here that has a tag line about how much the youth consider themselves as individualists but in reality they are boring followers, in a sheep like sense. When people stand out from the crowd they are no longer anonymous. What we see is the developement of character and individual style as allowed by personal comfort zone and being anonymous is comfortable. People choose their style, their friends and their lives either as a conscious effort or at an unconscious developement within their comfort zone. As the growing up youth period is continually artificially lengthen the need for sameness and group psycology / sociology is continued and lengthened. The overwhelming need by people for a formula as to the choice of looks, fashion, music, political views and lifestyle to meet the self imposed demands of "sameness" particularly by these younger generations are approaching a ridgidity not seem outside of recent dictatorships. People make a prison of their lives and don't realize they themselves are the jailers.

Time to step down from the soapbox.

guitarman

New in Town
Re;

Oh, there are some very enjoyable posts here !! I cant stand the "fashions" that todays younger generation wear. They think they are "happening", but they are just a bunch of slobs !! Hats on backwards(I REALLY detest that one !!) pants drooping so 6" of their undies show,shoes un-tied,and when they buy a new ball cap, they leave all the tags on, and leave the brim flat as a pancake. Now, the ONLY person to leave the tag on their hat, and get away with it, was Minnie Pearl !! When I see how some kids today dress and act all tough because they think they are all "gangsta",I wanna puke !! And whats with guys now, wearing girl's skinny jeans ??? Im sure they think I'm a real fool, running around in my oilskin hat and coat,(and I hear all of the Marlboro man comments) but at least I dont look like I got my wardrobe from the local dumpster !! Sorry if I got away from the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy