Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The London "Heads up" thread

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Something for the larger men ....

The Vintage showroom has a 1940s CWS suit (single breast, peak lapels, CC41 label, blue with red and light blue striped fabric) 44 inch chest and a 40 inch waist. The suit isn't cheap (£250) but size 40 waists are damn rare in vintage suits.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Another large 1940s suit:

It's in Levisons (1 Cheshire Street, Bethnal Green, London E2 6ED): A single breasted, notch lapel, three-piece, blue herringbone suit. With CC41 label but no other labels. One tiny moth hole on the waistcoat, apart from that it appeared to have been hardly worn (possibly unworn?). The trousers had a 38 inch waist and the jacket almost fitted me. I would guess it was about a 44, but had broad shoulders (it fitted me comfortably on the shoulders). £225. Not cheap, but it would be worth it if you are looking for a large 1940s suit in brilliant condition.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sadly my 'Mister Average' proportions often count 'against' me on finding 'suitable priced' suits and garments. Good finds for the more 'portly' members though!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I don't know the name of the shop, but it's at 162 Holloway Road:

They have a fair amount of American sports jackets and orphaned suit jackets, quite a few late forties/early fifties (to my untrained eye), even a few from the thirties. Watch out for
damage (always on the front in obvious places). Worth going to have a look at since the most expensive jackets were £10, most were £7. There was a nice plain grey double breasted jacket (about a size 40) that I think might date back to the early 30s. They also had a large number of white 1950s summer, short sleeved shirts (mostly German and some Italian) at £3 each.
Curiously, they had piles of old German pyjamas. My friend bought a double breasted cotton pyjama jacket that looked so unlike a pyjama jacket that it could be worn as a casual summer shirt.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Levinsons:

They have a sports jacket in a blue & grey tweed with red windowpane overcheck. It has patch pockets (but no 'fancy back'). The pockets were pleated but the pleats appear to have been sewn up (I assume they could easily be opened). it has a bit of moth grazing but i couldn't see anything substantial.
They had dated it as 1940s but for me (and my untrained eyes) it seemed just as likely to be 1930s. It reminded me of all those adverts from the late thirties that offer the choice of fancy or plain back. It appears to be British but does not have any labels.
The chest measures 44 inches.
£65
Really nice.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Blue suit - 1941 - USA - Size 40

OK, it's not London, but St Albans is pretty close.

At the Fleetville Vintage Emporium (http://www.thefleetvillevintageemporium.co.uk/) there is a mid-blue, single-breasted, two-piece suit, with a bit of a fleck in the fabric. It is about a size 40 (maybe a touch bigger).
It is American and has a tailor's label dating it as 1941. If i remember correctly, it has keystone shaped belt loops. The price is £70.

If there are any FL members in the area, it might be worth having a look.

I found five pairs of 1950s trousers (4 in grey wool and one in camel coloured cavalry twill) and one 1955 dated suit that were in my size, only to discover that they were about three inches too short in the leg. They had obviously all belonged to one big fellow with little legs.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
RRL on Mount Street have a sweater almost identical to this in:

Meridian.jpg

same label 'Meridian'. only £225. ;)

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'll be in London this weekend, staying close to Brick Lane. Anything new, shops, bars, around there? Last time I was there was in April. Saturday I'm OK to see stuff anywhere in London, Sunday will be around Brick Lane area. All suggestions appreciated.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'll be in London this weekend, staying close to Brick Lane. Anything new, shops, bars, around there? Last time I was there was in April. Saturday I'm OK to see stuff anywhere in London, Sunday will be around Brick Lane area. All suggestions appreciated.

Well, to be precise, last time in London was in September, but I spent my time with my son in guitar shops. Denmark Street and likes. However, even there I'd like suggestions. I'm sure there are better deals around. It is fascinating there though.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think the situation around Brick lane is much the same as mentioned in earlier posts: i.e. it's worth looking in all manner of shops since plenty of them have no idea what there stock is - such as the places that I've seen selling 80 year old jackets in good condition for £10.

The main question would be: what are you looking for?

The 'Pride of Spitalfields' pub is always good. Last time I was in the area myself and a few other loungers had a drink at the Carpenters, a pub on Cheshire Street. They have a little garden which is very sheltered from the elements (well it's sheltered from the wind, not the rain).

tonypaj

Practically Family
I think the situation around Brick lane is much the same as mentioned in earlier posts: i.e. it's worth looking in all manner of shops since plenty of them have no idea what there stock is - such as the places that I've seen selling 80 year old jackets in good condition for £10.

The main question would be: what are you looking for?

The 'Pride of Spitalfields' pub is always good. Last time I was in the area myself and a few other loungers had a drink at the Carpenters, a pub on Cheshire Street. They have a little garden which is very sheltered from the elements (well it's sheltered from the wind, not the rain).

I've got stuff, quite enough according to my wife. I'm seeing my son who comes up from the Uni in Kent, and just want to see the Liverpool football match in a pub (the connection goes back to late 60s, we're not British or Scousers, but he even has a YNWA tattoo) and walk around with him. He studies music, guitar the instrument, so guitar shops are obvious. We both like clothes, Brick Lane suits his budget, and mine, as I have to pay for his studies. Being a foreigner, well they go up to the max at his University for his fees.

Pub suggestions are great, I'll have a pint at both and see for myself. Shops, what you're saying is what I tend to do. Hit and miss. Anyway, on Sunday I'll have a long stroll and a curry. No expectations regarding clothing, it seems random to me...

tonypaj

Practically Family
You'll struggle to see the Liverpool game (assuming it's the one against West Brom on Sat 26th Oct). It's still illegal, I believe, to show 3pm Saturday games on the telly.

I struggle all the time as I do not wish to contribute anything to Mr Murdoch, if I can have a choice. For obvious reasons. If there's no pub for the match, then it'll be a stream wherever there's wifi, then pub for a pint or two :) If we win, the vendors on Sunday will like me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner