Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

Lamont Cranston

New in Town
It is the name I used to use for reservations or when they need to call your party from the bar when your table is ready.
Lamont Cranston is "The Shadow"
Originally in Dime novels and later on the Radio and Movies.
Cranston traveled to the east where he acquired the ability to "cloud men's minds".

"Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

"The Shadow Knows"

The Radio show ran for years and was excellent! And very popular.

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Some interesting stories behind some interesting names...

Mine stems from my love of big cigars - Double Coronas - and where I live - Mississippi.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
"Locktown" is the name of a town in New Jersey. My family had owned the same farm there for nearly 300 years. "Dog" is from the fact that I can't recall a day of my life where there hasn't been one of the furry guys at my feet. On a couple of other sites, I go by the name Wetdog ... which is the name of the boat I haven't built yet. :D

Richard

Joli7211

Familiar Face
JoLi are the first letters of my name, along with part of my birth day info... Mind you I'd have loved to have Fleur-de-lys which is what I have for a tat...

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Katherine Mansfield wrote a short story called Miss Brill. It is about a middle-aged, spinster teacher who overhears a young couple making fun of her (for wearing an out of style fur stole/neckpiece). I didn't put a lot of thought into it, but it seems right.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I love this film "Swing Time" with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire!!!! The character interpreted by Ginger Rogers is named "Miss Penny Carrol"... So that's why!!!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pennycarrol said:
I love this film "Swing Time" with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire!!!! The character interpreted by Ginger Rogers is named "Miss Penny Carrol"... So that's why!!!
I love that film so much I named my band after it!

My user name comes from winning the titel in 1988 at the Gatsby Summer Afternoon. Whole history here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23145&highlight=Gatsby

And I have the tinfoil tiara and sash to prove it!
I'm the one down in front...
l_2a41f0f3c03656454746e5ba94e21310.jpg

It's also my persona on Myspace, Ebay, LiveJournal, Social Club, etc.

Warden

One Too Many
Warden, because my grandfather was an ARP warden during the war.

When I am performing Living History I use the names of my Granddad who lived through the entire length of the war on the home front.

Although he is no longer alive I feel a closeness to him, when I adopt his name.

"The past," the novelist LP Hartley famously wrote "is a foreign country". But to me it is different,the past is about our family, country and history.

img70.gif

(Granddad)

Toodle pip

Harry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred