Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

GOK

One Too Many
Harry Pierpont said:
Harry Pierpont was the "brains" behind the Dillinger gang, We did a gangster reenactment once,( see Steamer Trunk/ living history) I was he and the name stuck.

Whereas Albert Pierrepoint (sometimes spelled Pierpont) was Britain's last executioner ;)

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
If the shoe fits...

When I went to work for a small R&D company, the fellow in the office next door to mine began greeting me as "Dee Dub", derived from my first and last initials. (Although this was well before the current administration, I'm glad he chose the condensed version of 'W'.)

For a while, only my colleague JimmyD used that name. Then I was assigned a couple of new hires, recent college graduates who were eager to learn the corporate culture. One of them would shout out "Deeee Duuuub!" whenever I entered the room. Then the other started doing that. Eventually, practically everyone in the company knew me as DeeDub and I could count on being announced on crossing any threshold. Then it spread to other organizations we worked with.

Some are born to greatness. Others have it thrust upon them. And some of us got it both ways. :rolleyes:

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
I've always been a big fan of the Three Stooges. I got the name from one of their funnier shorts, THREE ARABIAN NUTS. When the genie appears, Shemp refers to him at one point as the "Genius in the lamp". I thought that was pretty funny, hence the name.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Ernest Hemingway is another one of my favorite writers. His first wife, the one he took to Paris in the twenties was called Hadley. This is what he wrote about her in "A Movable Feast":
"When I saw my wife again standing by the tracks as the train came in by the piled logs at the station, I wished I had died before I ever loved anyone but her."
I like the name Hadley. :)

Cameron

New in Town
Just my first name, although reading through the thread I'm wishing I had chosen something that had a nice story. :eusa_doh:

Amelie

A-List Customer
Cameron said:
Just my first name, although reading through the thread I'm wishing I had chosen something that had a nice story. :eusa_doh:

welcome to the club ! :D

(to the lounge, and to the club of people wishing to have chose something more original lol)

lindylady

A-List Customer
My favorite hobby is dancing, and Lindy Hop (or Lindy for short) is a form of swing dance that I do most often.

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
Mine is a mock telephone exchange ( it seemed fitting) composed of two of favorite period weapons, the Enfield MKII revolver in .38 cal and the SMLE rifle in .303 cal.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I Love a martini.Specifically an extremely dry,Gin martini, shaken, with OLIVEs. I really don't go in for all those trendy newfangled concoctions that bars try to pass off as Martinis...except for one. One of my favourite places here serves a drink ( in a martini glass;) )made with BLUE curacao. & coconut rum with a stemmed cherry floating in it. It's my summer happy drink.Around the time that i was signing up, i had been to this place and i was thinking about what i like about martinis. I came up with OLIVE BLEU.( The french spelling of blue being a nod to the fact that i am Canadian and french being one of our official languages.)

Amelie

A-List Customer
olive bleu said:
The french spelling of blue being a nod to the fact that i am Canadian and french being one of our official languages.)

:eek:fftopic: That's sweet! are you from Nova Scotia or New Brunswick or PEI? (or even from Québec? I am from les Iles-de-la-Madeleine myself ^^)

edit: oh you're from Halifax! so Nova Scotia! Never been there, but I sould!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
jazzzbaby said:
I have stuck with mine for some time....I wanted jazzbaby
on an email address however, it was taken so I went for jazzzbaby.
I thought when someone pronounced it jazzy baby ~ it worked nicely.

Jazz Baby is a girl who enjoyed & danced to jazz in the twenties...and
Jazz was also the name of my beloved kitty cat that I had to put down
some 6 years ago tomorrow. Another reason why I loved the name jazz

Boy I sure gave a complicated answer to an easy question

That was me - sorry JazzzzzzzzzzzBabylol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24