Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tonyb.....hatter and a gentleman

lordcharles

New in Town
Tony B

Thanks Craig for the contact. And thanks Bart for the dimensions. I only noticed just now that you had already posted brim dimensions earlier. I spoke via email to Tony last night (last night for me here in Britain - don't know what time it was for him) and it looks like I'm on for a hat. I'm looking for something in a mossy green, straight sided 6'' in crown. What kind of ribbon do you guys suggest? Tony is considering this for me also.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
museumofflight021tx5.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My new Tonyb fedora arrived today! This hat feels great and fits unbelievably well.

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

The felt color is bone, the ribbon is the darkest blue I've ever seen and the brim binding is a tan color called desert. I wanted a bound brim and was wondering what color we would put with the dark, dark blue ribbon, and Tony came up with this. To my eye, it looks great. When I got the hat I put a pair of black pants next to it and stood by the door where sunlight was coming through the window. That was the only way I could tell the ribbon is really blue and not black.

I measured the crown at 5 7/8 open, the brim at 2 1/2, the ribbon at 1 7/8 and the brim binding is a 9 ligne.

I couldn't ask for a nicer guy than Tony to work with on this project. He's got a good eye for color and for hats. We went back and forth quite a few times by e-mail and by phone, and Tony sent pictures of this work in progress several times.

Thank you, Tony. Very well done, sir. I'll look forward to doing this again.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
That one got hit out of the park. Its too bad that the blue of the ribbon only really comes out in person. I think the fellas would really dig seeing that ribbon in person to really appreciate its color.

BobC

handlebar bart said:
That one got hit out of the park. Its too bad that the blue of the ribbon only really comes out in person. I think the fellas would really dig seeing that ribbon in person to really appreciate its color.

I agree, but it would take a better photographer than me to get that picture. I'll try again tomorrow morning if it's sunny, but I ain't guaranteeing anything. I'll put something black next to the ribbon and see how it works.

This hat turned out to be just gorgeous, and the fit is surely a hit.

I was really wondering what we were going to do with the brim binding and even said to Tony we could leave it unbound if we couldn't come up with a good ribbon for it. But he really nailed it with this one.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Yes, BobC, that is a killer lid. I have that same ribbon color on mine and is that wonderful vintage color; midnight blue.

nice. very nice.

BobC

Thanks, Craig. Tony sent me pictures of your hat after we talked about using this blue ribbon. I had also seen your's posted here.

I'm pleased all to heck with this hat.

Mr. Paladin

Bob, that is one great hat! From color to brim width to ribbons and binding, it comes together very well. Very, very nice!

BobC

Thanks, Mr. P. I think I'll go look for a couple of shirts and ties that I can put with a navy suit to wear under this hat and pick up the brim color.

We're hoping to see you and Mrs. P on the boat in September.

BobC

I got an e-mail from Tony this evening. I didn't think he'd put this up here, so I thought I'd better.

Tony has a new website.

http://www.tumwaterhat.com/

There are some sharp looking lids there, but check out the one on the pricing page. ;)

I e-mailed Tony back to let him know that he needs to step out and take a bow as there is no mention of his name on his website and that he needs a place for client comments as there are some people around who have some nice things to say about him and recommendations to make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner