Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

combat camera heritage

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks! One has to stop and think, whenever we see combat footage from WWII and the other wars, that somebody with a movie camera was right there in the thick of the battle getting that footage.

Ever seen the movie "84 Charlie MoPic"?

mikepara

Practically Family
Only service cameramen should

be allowed anywhere near a warzone.
Too many non-combatants running around shooting everything and editing things to look sexy or contraversal for bucks and awards.

Everything shot should be censored and if any crimes are commited on camera then the soldiers involved should be dealt with out of the limelight / news.

Wouldn't have handed the Nazis propaganda on a plate would they? So why's it alright to give Aljazeera it?

That busy ranting I forgot to thank you for the link. It was great. MP

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
freedom of the press

mikepara said:
be allowed anywhere near a warzone.
Too many non-combatants running around shooting everything and editing things to look sexy or contraversal for bucks and awards.

Everything shot should be censored and if any crimes are commited on camera then the soldiers involved should be dealt with out of the limelight / news.

Wouldn't have handed the Nazis propaganda on a plate would they? So why's it alright to give Aljazeera it?

That busy ranting I forgot to thank you for the link. It was great. MP

Youre welcome.
And I totally disagree. But I wont rant about it.
-bern

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
USMC

J. M. Stovall said:
What movies have been made about combat reporters? Wasn't there a Burgess Meredeth movie from the 40's about that? Anyone remember any others?

Yes, Burgess Meredith played ErniePyle in TheStory of GIJoe.

Actually, in Full Metal Jacket, Private Joker became a Stars&Stripes reporter. Remember the scenes of his photographer posing w/ the M-16 & bragging about using his camera or rifle if need be.

Farrah Fawcett was in a tv movie about WWII photojournalist Margaret Bourke-White.

Tom Hanks narrated a documentary title Shooting War, about combat cameramen. Thats a must see. The only odd thing is Hanks is sporting the long hillbilly beard he was growing for Castaway.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frankie's House (1992)

J. M. Stovall said:
What movies have been made about combat reporters? Wasn't there a Burgess Meredeth movie from the 40's about that? Anyone remember any others?

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0104294/

2facfb57.jpg

2d5df6af.jpg
a7871f3e.jpg

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Errol Flynn's son Sean became a combat photographer. His character is portrayed in this film "Frankie's House". He disappeared in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War and never returned. He had done some acting of his own prior to going over to Vietnam as a freelance photographer.

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue9711/req11.htm

-dixon cannon

mikepara

Practically Family
Also..

get a hold of 'Over There' DVDs theres a great story of a cameraman inadvertently giving the enemy propaganda but trying to sort it out. Modern but great series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR