Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joe Blue

New in Town
I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to buy one of these hats.

Thank you cbd1458b0230b7d922a2043e32ff68fe.jpg c6e7fa064989ed2aa41d7b8d5ffefc5d.png

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to buy one of these hats.

Thank you View attachment 253131 View attachment 253132

Looks like an Open Road to me. Most every hat company did/does make a similar hat. You could go with an Akubra Campdraft, Stetson Open Road, Borsalino Alessandria, etc. Or you could have a custom hat made for you for a lot less than you might think.

Mm25

One Too Many
I need a new yard work, summer hat. It will be vented straw. Shantung or hemp and why, is the question.

I have palm straw and it is as hot as felt, so it’s out of the running this time.

Thanks,
Joe

I need a new yard work, summer hat. It will be vented straw. Shantung or hemp and why, is the question.

I have palm straw and it is as hot as felt, so it’s out of the running this time.

Thanks,
Joe
I have an inexpensive Stetson shantung that I have used for years as my hot weather hiking hat. It is very loose or open weave and I find it cool. Wide brim for lots of sun protection and a nice absorbent sweat band. I have well received my $50 bucks worth out of it and it has years left in it.

Gobi

One of the Regulars
Reason enough to return/exchange a hat?
The sweatband is not flanged at all, it's just sewn flat which leaves the stitches digging into my forehead.
Sewing a new sweatband is a pain so I really dont want to have to do that but it seems rather unwearable as is. I otherwise like the hat.
20200811_201023.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Thanks,
Joe

I'm a fan of the current vented Open Road hats. They're shangtung, but the vents give decent airflow. Mine blew off once and hit the pavement to no ill effects. I wasn't even worried about it.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Reason enough to return/exchange a hat?
The sweatband is not flanged at all, it's just sewn flat which leaves the stitches digging into my forehead.
Sewing a new sweatband is a pain so I really dont want to have to do that but it seems rather unwearable as is. I otherwise like the hat.
View attachment 253355

I think what you are describing as a flanged sweatband is when the hatter "bells" the sweatband. I do tend to agree that a belled sweatband looks nicer in the hat. You mentioned that the stitches are digging into your forehead, to me that is and indicator that the the hat is on the small side for your size. Regardless of a belled sweatband or not, the stitching should not be noticeably digging into your forehead. If this was a custom hat I am sure the hatter will take care of it for you. I assume that the Bushman on the sweatband is referring to the ready to wear hat from Akubra, in that case exchange it.

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I think what you are describing as a flanged sweatband is when the hatter "bells" the sweatband. I do tend to agree that a belled sweatband looks nicer in the hat. You mentioned that the stitches are digging into your forehead, to me that is and indicator that the the hat is on the small side for your size. Regardless of a belled sweatband or not, the stitching should not be noticeably digging into your forehead. If this was a custom hat I am sure the hatter will take care of it for you. I assume that the Bushman on the sweatband is referring to the ready to wear hat from Akubra, in that case exchange it.

Yes, it should bell outwards. The stitches should not touch the forehead, that's the purpose of a reeded sweatband.
The stitches are sharp feeling and not comfortable to have against the forehead.
The hat is actually large on my but I am a long oval so the front gets more pressure. It's new so I haven't shaped it to my head.
My other Akubras have a properly installed sweatband which bells outward keeping the stitches away from the skin.

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I got ahold of them and they said all the hats have the same sweatband installation so exchanging would be pointless. I decided to keep it. I shaped it to my long oval head. I can still feel the scratchy stitches on my forehead but at least they aren't digging in. I might decide to replace the sweatband if it keeps bugging me. None of my Akubras from Everything Australian or Hats Direct have this problem. They all have a nice bell flange on the sweatband. Oh well. I otherwise like this hat a lot and I'm not bashing the company, they have great customer service and offered to refund. I like the hat too much to send it back for a refund so it's mine now!

I got ahold of them and they said all the hats have the same sweatband installation so exchanging would be pointless. I decided to keep it. I shaped it to my long oval head. I can still feel the scratchy stitches on my forehead but at least they aren't digging in. I might decide to replace the sweatband if it keeps bugging me. None of my Akubras from Everything Australian or Hats Direct have this problem. They all have a nice bell flange on the sweatband. Oh well. I otherwise like this hat a lot and I'm not bashing the company, they have great customer service and offered to refund. I like the hat too much to send it back for a refund so it's mine now!
Don't be intimidated about replacing the sweat band yourself. Sewing one in by hand is not that hard to do. If you have 8 or 9 thumbs as I do it can take a while but I kind of like the meditative quality of the sewing.

$20 or so gets you a top quality sweat and about 90 minutes of your time....voila! a hat you can totally love.

PanosC

New in Town
Hello! I hope you all are keeping well. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows online shops located in Europe selling Jonathan Richards caps.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I have seen several references in 1920s books to Christie hats but they never defined what one was. I know there is a well known London hatter named Christy but of course, they make many different models.
Can someone tell me what they meant by a Christie hat in the 1920s?

I have seen several references in 1920s books to Christie hats but they never defined what one was. I know there is a well known London hatter named Christy but of course, they make many different models.
Can someone tell me what they meant by a Christie hat in the 1920s?
I'm not aware of a specific style of hat that would have been referred to as a christie hat. I do know that the name Christy's has been used in any form imaginable, so it's not unlikely that it could be any style just as long as it was by Christy's as a maker in the same way someone would go for a "stetson" or a "borsalino". So the brand name becomes generic for a certain style of hat. That's still the case in France, where the term "borsalino" is commonly used to refer to a fedora.

dkstott

Practically Family
I like my Stetson Roadster hat in Royal Deluxe so much that I just picked up a 2nd one. LOL

This time, I'm thinking of replacing the leather hatband with a thin ribbon along the lines of the Open Road or Stratoliner.

All my searches for "how to install or replace ribbons" turn up instructions on replacing wider ribbons and bows.

Does anyone know of a link for on replacing thin ribbons?

Dave

I like my Stetson Roadster hat in Royal Deluxe so much that I just picked up a 2nd one. LOL

This time, I'm thinking of replacing the leather hatband with a thin ribbon along the lines of the Open Road or Stratoliner.

All my searches for "how to install or replace ribbons" turn up instructions on replacing wider ribbons and bows.

Does anyone know of a link for on replacing thin ribbons?

Dave
not the answer you are after but no I have not found any. There is a real shortage of info on ribbon work in general on the internet. I have even searched Milliner's sites but came up empty. It may not be what you want but Tim @purebeaver on Instagram sells some vintage 2ply already slip knotted.

Maitiu

New in Town
Need some help here. I'm deciding on 2 colors. Stetson Acorn or Chocolate.

I like both. But I really can't find good pictures of either color other than what's on the Stetson website. I've seen both colors at other retailers websites, but the picture quality is crap.

So do any of you have either one of these colors on your Stetson? Or have you seen any of these colors in person?

I'd just like some feedback on your thoughts on both colors. It might help me steer my decision a little better, haha!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner