Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Question: Chin Strap? I don’t think chin strap is a common component on western hats? The high quality ones almost never have chin strap...but, practically, for horse riding and (well, watching Hateful Eight), they all have chin strap and it’s hard to imagine how the hat stay on without it?

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

It is called a 'Stampede String'...most western shops should stock them. Many online sellers as well. They work well, and are removable or you can hide them under the hat. Cheap too!

Blare, regius and deadlyhandsome like this.
  3. FlyFishing

FlyFishing New in Town

This ^
    I usually dedicate one western hat to duty that I would need a stampede string for, when I don't need it, I tuck it in the hat and wear it. If I don't do this it ends up getting caught on things. They are easy to put in and take out, but it is easier for me to just leave it in one hat all the time.

Blare, regius and deadlyhandsome like this.
  4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I agree, taking them out is a pain and puts undo stress on the sweat band.

Blare likes this.
  5. When put thru a grommet in the brim the proper way you pull it back up thru the grommets & loop it around the crown like a wind trolley when not in use. A stampede string lays around the ribbon or hatband. Those inside sweat cotter key things are a joke.

Blare likes this.
  6. FlyFishing

FlyFishing New in Town

That is a great tip! I guess I found the excuse I needed for an Akubra bushman.

Boomerang and Blare like this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have never been in a hurricane with mine but so far with just strong winds my stampede string works quite well.

Blare likes this.
  8. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Looks like some would puncture two holes but some would insert the pin through the stitching of the sweatband. One of my hats has a glued band so I guess this one I’ll have to make two holes...

Blare likes this.
  9. I am quite sure many things will work, even bailing wire. The point is cotter pins are not original & you will not find a vintage hat so equiped if you are concerned with originality, or restoration of vintage hats.

Bamaboots and Blare like this.
  10. Blare

Blare My Mail is Forwarded Here

OK I managed to answer part of my Own question when I saw this old unlined Strat today. Seems they used a sticker badge on the felt In this case. So it is possible mine could have been unlined originally and sticker fell off over time. Now leaves the question if there were any Old strats without edge binding.

90CDAA2E-9822-4149-8251-EDBD4E3F874D.png 26E7C30B-E420-484D-BC2B-230AEDD97FCD.png

11. alanfgag

alanfgag

Hi Joe... I have owned several of the first generation Stratoliners (1941-42). All have a bound brim approximately 2 5/8” wide. Two have embroidered tip patches like the one shown above. One does not. It also has a different sweat stamping which is perhaps the earlier example. All have a retail price below Royal Stetson. I believe yours has definitely had a brim trim and most likely did have a liner at some point in time. It might be from the later 1940s or early 1950s. Had it been unlined originally I think it would have had a silkscreened Royal Stetson crest in the crown, similar to the Premier Quality Stratoliner from the mid 1940s (a guess). There are photos of these earlier hats in the Stratoliner (vintage) and the Hat Comparison threads. I will add a couple of photos here for you in a bit.

hatsRme and Blare like this.
  12. Blare

Thank you for the assessment Alan. Definitely supporting our original hypothesis. Originally lined... and trimmed brim.

I will say this.. it has very little snap to its brim if any. Now I know the binding is not supposed to effect the actual flange... but it does seem to effect tension... so after being trimmed less tension

13. alanfgag

alanfgag

Yes, a deep brim cut will serve to undermine the original flange intention.

Here is a quick summary from a few hats I have owned. At first introduction, the Stratoliner was an unlined lightweight hat. I am not sure which of the three I've owned is the earliest, but all date somewhere around the introduction of the model at the start of WWII. They all have LOTXXXX imprints behind the sweatband:

earlystrat9.jpg

... are unlined, unreeded and show one of the two early sweatband imprints. Size label, if present, is the gold version.

vitastrat5.jpg

earlystrat5.jpg

earlystrat6.jpg

The block is stamped on either the last of the three panel manufacturing labels or the first of the single panel labels:

oldstrat5.jpg vitastrat8.jpg
    The Premier Quality Stratoliner I own is a little later (mid-1940s) and similar in construction but with better/heavier felt and a silkscreened imprint on the crown. The LOTXXXX imprint and gold size tag are no longer present.

premierstrat.jpg

Here is a Royal Stetson Stratoliner that I once owned, a decade or so later than the examples posted above. From the soft sweatband with deep imprint, I suspect the Royal you've acquired is earlier than this one.

strat3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020

14. I don’t “know” anything about the lack of binding, but to me that’s one of the defining elements of a Stratoliner. It’s sort of like the OR in that regard. The short brim looks good on you.

Rmccamey and Blare like this.
  15. Blare

Thank you for the expose Alan. I just double checked the sweat. No LotXXXX. Just a hand written 3X and the same number from reorder tag stamped. Also looks like it was same block as two you have there 122

9BE8ADD8-9CD0-498D-B625-7F71CA73FCC1.jpeg

16. Blare

Thanks Brent. I agree with you on those elements. After a few had suggested otherwise I was curious to see if any had seen any without binding. Like for example. The elements of the OR as we know... however the original being a wider ribbon.

I def love the way this one looks as is... though it won’t deter me from picking up just the right full brimmed Strat when it comes along.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  17. petef

petef New in Town

Hi
    I have a question about a hat type identification. It is from a video (sorry). the link here should take you to the video in question (skip to 5:18). In particular, I would like to know what type of hat the keyboardist is wearing. (he is in the white suit)

It looks similar to the type Stevie Ray Vaughan used to wear, but I don't really know what that type is called either.

Cheers
    Pete

18. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack Practically Family

To me it looks like an open crown western.

hatsRme, deadlyhandsome and Blare like this.
  19. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

If I had a photo I wouldn't have to ask what one looked like. Have seen 2 or 3 references in stories written in the 1920s or a bit earlier to a man wearing a Christie hat but no description or helpful context.

Yamahana and Bamaboots like this.
  20. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

LOL!