Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. steur

steur

I'm not aware of a specific style of hat that would have been referred to as a christie hat. I do know that the name Christy's has been used in any form imaginable, so it's not unlikely that it could be any style just as long as it was by Christy's as a maker in the same way someone would go for a "stetson" or a "borsalino". So the brand name becomes generic for a certain style of hat. That's still the case in France, where the term "borsalino" is commonly used to refer to a fedora.

1967Cougar390 likes this.
  2. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

I like my Stetson Roadster hat in Royal Deluxe so much that I just picked up a 2nd one. LOL

This time, I'm thinking of replacing the leather hatband with a thin ribbon along the lines of the Open Road or Stratoliner.

All my searches for "how to install or replace ribbons" turn up instructions on replacing wider ribbons and bows.

Does anyone know of a link for on replacing thin ribbons?

Dave

Blare likes this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

not the answer you are after but no I have not found any. There is a real shortage of info on ribbon work in general on the internet. I have even searched Milliner's sites but came up empty. It may not be what you want but Tim @purebeaver on Instagram sells some vintage 2ply already slip knotted.

4. dkstott

Thanks, I reached out to him to see what he's got available.

5. Maitiu

Maitiu New in Town

Need some help here. I'm deciding on 2 colors. Stetson Acorn or Chocolate.

I like both. But I really can't find good pictures of either color other than what's on the Stetson website. I've seen both colors at other retailers websites, but the picture quality is crap.

So do any of you have either one of these colors on your Stetson? Or have you seen any of these colors in person?

I'd just like some feedback on your thoughts on both colors. It might help me steer my decision a little better, haha!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Blare and dkstott like this.
  6. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Coincidentally, received 3 such bows from Tim this week.

[​IMG]

On the vintage Stetsons I have, the 2/3 ply bands are tacked at the bottom. I feel it's probably less intrusive to tack on the 'row.'

Blare, dkstott and Dm101 like this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I picked up two of the vintage navy. Not sure if it is the look I was after so haven't tacked it down at all. I just cinched it tightly and it has held perfectly. The look is growing on me and may just keep it ....and eventually tack it down.

Blare, dkstott and deadlyhandsome like this.
  8. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

PanosC likes this.
  9. dkstott

Those are really nice looking. But they'll be too thin for use on my hat. They're thinner than the leather strip I'll be removing & won't cover the stitching.

10. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I was dusting my hats yesterday when I noticed a sticky spot on the leather sweatband of my Stetson western felt hat. The hat is only a year old, and I use it regularly for yard work. It's not uncommon to get sweat stains on it, so I tried oiling the band with some leather conditioner I have for jackets and sweatbands, but it did nothing to take care of the problem. Last time I wore the hat was a few weeks ago, and the spot definitely wasn't there when I put the hat on the rack. Any idea what caused this and any potential fixes? I considered just using GOOP, or goo-gone, but I wasn't sure how those kind of chemicals would affect the hat, or my forehead in long term use.
    [​IMG]

Blare likes this.
  11. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Have you tried baby wipes or similar product? That’s what I would use.
    Johnny

Blare likes this.
  12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Goo Gone is about 95% petroleum distillates, so quite similar to the naphtha some of us use to clean our hats. I think a little to test it out should be fine. I have a feeling it might do the trick.

AbbaDatDeHat, Blare and Bushman like this.
  13. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Could be the varnish/plastic coating on the 'leather' is breaking down. If it is that, then only removing all the coating with something like acetone will work. But that's only as a last resort. Better try everything else first.

Dm101, Blare, Bushman and 1 other person like this.
  14. ReverbDave

ReverbDave New in Town

Can anyone tell me if the Stetson Premier or the Medalist was supposed to be their top of the line?

15. DaveProc

DaveProc One Too Many

Is there a thread for pics of vintage photos of average people wearing hats.

16. DaveProc

DaveProc One Too Many

17. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

When I got this older Stratoliner. It was my assumption that the brim had at some point been trimmed to its current 2 inches and that it at some point in its life had a liner. Some discussions in other groups refute that theory.

My question here today isn’t so much what the real story of this hat is... that may never actually be known. But have we seen any early Stratoliner that came with shorter unbound edge. Or any Stratoliner that came with no liner and no branding on the felt.

Follow up question.. original consensus is late 40s to early 50s.... any opinions on age?

876E3CF6-20C1-43E4-BBE2-75F0CBD3D05F.jpeg
    3D4DC30C-477B-473F-B1DD-99964D34004F.jpeg 3DD28315-6925-4627-85D6-E379977D177B.jpeg AED7D4FD-60C8-4EA0-9A28-9F2D57ED1F98.jpeg

18. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

Maybe I should add, all the references to Christie hats were in the US and Canada.

19. Could you please attach screenshots or links to photos or other references to “Christie” hats?