Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. HuangCheng

HuangCheng New in Town

I went to the threads, very enjoy it . It's appreciated.

hatsRme and deadlyhandsome like this.
  2. FlyFishing

FlyFishing New in Town

I was curious the best method for getting the brim to lay flat on a boater would be? I have used steam and water on some shantung straw and coated straw hats but I'm afraid steam or water will damage the uncoated natural straw on the boater. This particular boater probably doesn't have much value, but I'd like to give it some more wear time.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  3. georgie girl

georgie girl Familiar Face

you know Bob, I was just looking at Huston's size tags, sweatbands dating page and saw this photo... different company, but same tag... did stetson make hats for anybody else during the 20's/30's?

Attached Files:

BobHufford likes this.

4. I’ve used a misting of water and steam and immediately put it in a brim press. Stacking heavy books on the brim so it dries flat works too. The water and steam didn’t seem to harm my boaters.

FlyFishing and Blare like this.
  5. HuangCheng

HuangCheng New in Town

WechatIMG452.jpeg Does Stetson always write "open road" on an open road?
    I got these two ORs, the size tag shows they are the 60s
    One shows open road 7x, another one just shows 7X
    Is it means anything different?
    The left one is tougher but smoother, the right one is softer but not that smooth.

6. MoldyKing

MoldyKing New in Town

I have a question. So I have a flat cap that's top area got stretched upwards, so it's not really a "flat" cap anymore. Any way I can reshape it back?

7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

better if we had some pictures....could give a more directed answer.

Silver-Wolf likes this.
  8. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.

9. This is common with some Amazon sellers. Notice how the price changes based on size. I suspect that they are overstock items, but I don’t know that. Their prices for some sizes are no better than other retail shops:

https://www.one2miniranch.com/search.php?search_query=Dune

Silver-Wolf, Blare and Frunobulax like this.
  10. Florida Boii

Florida Boii New in Town

Does anyone know any fedoras that look like the ones in Bronx Tale movie ?...would appreciate any responses I’ve been getting a lot of good help on these forums in my previous posts btw I’m new here ACB64753-7E66-4ACA-8134-919BCEA2C51F.jpeg

Attached Files:

Silver-Wolf and Blare like this.
  11. Blare

Blare Call Me a Cab

Welcome Florida... Florida boy here myself.

Appears the be a short brim fedora likely from the 60s. Probably just under a 2 inch brim. Depending on hat size. That particular one looks like it might have a Cavanagh edge on its brim. Might be similar to a Knox Flying cloud. Or a Dobbs Royal coachman.

Silver-Wolf likes this.
  12. Florida Boii

Florida Boii New in Town

Thank you for your feedback much appreciated and do you know any website that might be selling those hats ?

13. Silver-Wolf

Silver-Wolf Familiar Face

Akubra Hampton in custom colour cruiser grey is very similar. Short brim (tad under 2inch or 48mm) pretty much a stingy or very close to, Hampton come bog standard with a greenish band and brim trim. If you had no brim trim and a black band it'd be almost bang on.

Really nice lid IMPO, I'm a bit over massive brims atm.

14. Blare

Blare Call Me a Cab

Well. If in fact that is a Cavanagh edge on that hat. They haven’t really been made in mass production since the 60s or early 70s. So vintage would be the way to go. Ebay in that case.

new... with I believe an underwelt brim... something like a Dobbs Jet 707. In Saber color would be close in styling.

https://meyerthehatter.com/dobbs-jet-707-felt-hat-df3218-jet-707.html

Silver-Wolf likes this.
  15. Florida Boii

Florida Boii New in Town

Exactly what I was looking the jet looks NICE and I found it at a cheaper price at fashionable hats but it doesn’t come in the grey color tho only Black and Tan

Blare likes this.
  16. Florida Boii

Florida Boii New in Town

Ima check it out

17. georgie girl

georgie girl Familiar Face

I've got a question about reeding: Does anyone know the general time period that the metal reeding changed to plastic? Thanks

18. Florida Boii

Florida Boii New in Town

11964F47-3D9F-446B-8CD1-0479266C46E6.jpeg I have a bailey Tino does anyone know if that’s 60s style I think it is cuz it’s 2’ inch brim

Attached Files:

Blare likes this.
  19. Blare

Blare Call Me a Cab

Very short brims came into fashion in the 1960s. Also true of the 30s. However in my opinion shorter prim hats of the 30s had taller crowns.

Short brims are also a hallmark of cheaply made hats sold in stores like target today so they can get a bad rep by some

Florida Boii likes this.
  20. Florida Boii

Florida Boii New in Town

Good to know and I get my hats off of good quality hat brands I hate those Walmart and target ones cuz they’re costume material

Blare likes this.