Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
What are the best 2” brim fedoras ?

I like all kinds of hats, including a nice stingy brim. However, I’d suggest that you look at the hats in the other threads and see if maybe a wider brim might not suit you. A lot of men who are new(er) to fedoras start with stingy brim hats only to later decide that wider brims look better on them. Not everyone changes to prefer wider brims, but it’s a common process here.

As for the nicest...it’s definitely going to be vintage. Hands down. The better vintage hats/felt are soooo much better than what the factories are making today.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I like all kinds of hats, including a nice stingy brim. However, I’d suggest that you look at the hats in the other threads and see if maybe a wider brim might not suit you. A lot of men who are new(er) to fedoras start with stingy brim hats only to later decide that wider brims look better on them. Not everyone changes to prefer wider brims, but it’s a common process here.

As for the nicest...it’s definitely going to be vintage. Hands down. The better vintage hats/felt are soooo much better than what the factories are making today.

+1 on this. I think I am ready to part with a few shorter brims too.

My best 2" brim is my Optimo. That one I am not parting with.

Okay, since no one had an answer to the question about time period frame for steel in the reeding... Does anyone know if there is a Bond hat thread here on the lounge? I've tried multiple ways of searches both here and online using 'fedora lounge' as well as Bond hats coming up empty as well, but for a couple of posts mentioning a bond hat. Thanks for any help with this
There was/is a member here in the Lounge with the handle "Bond"...he runs FineVintageFedoras on Etsy.com. I don't have vast experience but have never seen a steel reed. The ones not plastic have been real honest to goodness reeds.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
What are the best 2” brim fedoras ?

What's best will be subjective to a point, it might be that hat that while not brilliant is just so comfy it's like wearing your pajama's. Or one that's just got that slight quirk to it that speaks to your personality or maybe the hand made custom jobbie. etc..etc..

I've got a cheap wool felt Jacaru I love for it's comfort
grAOYor.jpg

and a Max Alexander Summer/linen/mesh stinger, I like wearing both a lot and they cost under $50 new. Are they great quality hats, nope but I still like them. I wear hats for myself, not for others.
YvuuUKJ.jpg

Akubra's are decent quality (well for mass made these days, they are pretty good), I wouldn't say they are the best but they are very good for an affordable price point. I think older hats like many things were made to a finer quality, things were never so disposable in the past or as easy to come by.

Last edited:
There was/is a member here in the Lounge with the handle "Bond"...he runs FineVintageFedoras on Etsy.com. I don't have vast experience but have never seen a steel reed. The ones not plastic have been real honest to goodness reeds.

I know Akubra uses steel reeds, and I’ve seen the verdigris proof that copper ferrules are used on other hats. Sorry I don’t have more for you.

I’ve seen Bond hats show up on the vintage market but never in my size. They look like good quality hats, but I don’t know anything about the company. Did they make their own hats or contract them out? If there isn’t an existing thread you should start one.

georgie girl

One of the Regulars

I know Akubra uses steel reeds, and I’ve seen the verdigris proof that copper ferrules are used on other hats. Sorry I don’t have more for you.

I’ve seen Bond hats show up on the vintage market but never in my size. They look like good quality hats, but I don’t know anything about the company. Did they make their own hats or contract them out? If there isn’t an existing thread you should start one.

Thanks guys... with more researching I have come to the conclusion that Bond probably was a clothing store and had their own line of hats. No clue if they were made for the store or by the store.

The reed mentioned was attached to a Carlton Club 'straw' I picked up months ago and replaced the sweat... but recently came across the reed again and opened it up. Just curious about it hoping it could maybe lead to a decade (50's-70's).

Matt_SFL

Familiar Face
What's best will be subjective to a point, it might be that hat that while not brilliant is just so comfy it's like wearing your pajama's lol. Or one that's just got that slight quirk to it that speaks to your personality etc..etc..

I've got a cheap wool felt Jacaru I love for it's comfort and a Max Alexander Summer/linen/mesh stinger, I like wearing both alot and they cost under $50 new. Are they great hats, nope but I still like them. I wear hats for myself, not for others.

grAOYor.jpg
YvuuUKJ.jpg

Akubra's are decent quality (well for mass made these days, they are pretty good), I wouldn't say they are the best but they are very good for an affordable price point. I think older hats like many things were made to a finer quality, things were never so disposable in the past or as easy to come by.
W
What's best will be subjective to a point, it might be that hat that while not brilliant is just so comfy it's like wearing your pajama's lol. Or one that's just got that slight quirk to it that speaks to your personality etc..etc..

I've got a cheap wool felt Jacaru I love for it's comfort and a Max Alexander Summer/linen/mesh stinger, I like wearing both alot and they cost under $50 new. Are they great hats, nope but I still like them. I wear hats for myself, not for others.

grAOYor.jpg
YvuuUKJ.jpg

where did you get those nice looking hats ?

grAOYor.jpg
YvuuUKJ.jpg

There is an common (ish) arc here for members in the Lounge. Akubras are an entry level, for many, into the world of Fedoras. They are far from the best but most Loungers would say they offer probably the best bang for your buck, certainly for an entry level priced hat. I am not a big modern Stetson fan and think Akubras offer much better value. Akubras offer great value. The next step is a leap into the world of 'vintage' and its much higher price point, depending of course on your head size, make, model and vintage.

Then most members eventually dip their toe, foot or entire body into the world of custom hats. You cannot beat the look and feel of a well made custom fedora.

I have my original Akubras from 25 years ago and a few more recent purchases....they def have a place in my hat life. Great rain hats for one.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
W

where did you get those nice looking hats ?

Just off eBay I think from memory, but they are Australian brands. Max Alexander does fancy fashion for like race days etc and do a range of fasinators. One of my Son's bought it for my 52 B-day, Jacaru is a affordable/lower end Aussie brand also, most people think of them for their larger outback leather styled hats.

I bought the wool for $40 off a hatstore on eBay, but think at most stores they are a similar price point. They are ok but barely entry level lol. Just fashion hats which I normally don't like, but I do like these two. The wool was fuzzy as heck when I got it, so sorted that and it was nice. It's not a firm hat lol and I did reshape it slightly different than bog standard, well I did that to both. I always have to make my hats mine, often just smallish changes for a better fit on my noggin.

There is an common (ish) arc here for members in the Lounge. Akubras are an entry level, for many, into the world of Fedoras. They are far from the best but most Loungers would say they offer probably the best bang for your buck, certainly for an entry level priced hat. I am not a big modern Stetson fan and think Akubras offer much better value. Akubras offer great value. The next step is a leap into the world of 'vintage' and its much higher price point, depending of course on your head size, make, model and vintage.

Then most members eventually dip their toe, foot or entire body into the world of custom hats. You cannot beat the look and feel of a well made custom fedora.

I have my original Akubras from 25 years ago and a few more recent purchases....they def have a place in my hat life. Great rain hats for one.

My very first hat was an Akubra at age 9, I had lots over the years, most were outback or bush styles though as I spent alot of time in the outback and bush. Stockman or Coolabah are my favs out of those, I'm moding and shrinking down my Coolabah currently as I lost half my body weight and 3'n a bit hat sizes. I got that hat when they first came out (that was back when Crocodile Dundee film was released back in the 80's.

My most worn hat and longest owned
XZouoap.jpg

Last edited:

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Okay, since no one had an answer to the question about time period frame for steel in the reeding... Does anyone know if there is a Bond hat thread here on the lounge? I've tried multiple ways of searches both here and online using 'fedora lounge' as well as Bond hats coming up empty as well, but for a couple of posts mentioning a bond hat. Thanks for any help with this

Here is a link to the Bond hat thread:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/bond-fedora.31390/

Steven

FlyFishing

New in Town
I’ve used a misting of water and steam and immediately put it in a brim press. Stacking heavy books on the brim so it dries flat works too. The water and steam didn’t seem to harm my boaters.

Your advice made me brave enough to pull out a towel and an iron to flatten the brim and I then let it cool under some textbooks. It worked perfectly. Please ignore my first attempt at a ribbon, believe it or not even with my horribly done contrasting x stitches (it looked much better in my head, next time I will hide the stitches and make the bow sit level on the brim) it is better than the ribbon that it came with. 20200923_170608.jpg 20200923_093043.jpg

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Just off eBay I think from memory, but they are Australian brands. Max Alexander does fancy fashion for like race days etc and do a range of fasinators. One of my Son's bought it for my 52 B-day, Jacaru is a affordable/lower end Aussie brand also, most people think of them for their larger outback leather styled hats.

I bought the wool for $40 off a hatstore on eBay, but think at most stores they are a similar price point. They are ok but barely entry level lol. Just fashion hats which I normally don't like, but I do like these two. The wool was fuzzy as heck when I got it, so sorted that and it was nice. It's not a firm hat lol and I did reshape it slightly different than bog standard, well I did that to both. I always have to make my hats mine, often just smallish changes for a better fit on my noggin.

My very first hat was an Akubra at age 9, I had lots over the years, most were outback or bush styles though as I spent alot of time in the outback and bush. Stockman or Coolabah are my favs out of those, I'm moding and shrinking down my Coolabah currently as I lost half my body weight and 3'n a bit hat sizes. I got that hat when they first came out (that was back when Crocodile Dundee film was released back in the 80's.

My most worn hat and longest owned
XZouoap.jpg

Doesn't sound like it's old or had that much use, still looks good you say. If you add up the time/days/hours.... This hat although much older has about 7 years everyday real world use, or 12+ hours a day wear if you like. 6 days ago we threw it in a washing machine, then in the bath for an hour with bicarb to remove smells and everyone kicking 'n splashing for heck and hour or 10 (42 mins of drunken stupidity for 4 people lol) 4 heck of it. Then 2 days ago I threw it an almost cold bath (because of it's stink) most likely my smell/fault lol.

It's like new again after all this time..just lil softer....Just a reminder I would never suggest someone wash a hat in a washing machine. I was after a shrink while having a drink, Akubra's handle water very well. It was a bit of an experiment.

Lot of folk don't like to nourish leather etc, most my gear keeps ok but I use bee wax with lil bit o orange oil.

Last edited:

dkstott

Practically Family
Akubra hat's are the perfect entry level hats. They'll stand up to abuse from daily wear and the weather. Another option is (heaven forbid that I suggest it ) any of the lite felt hats.

Once someone has a better idea of what they want, custom made hat's can bethe next step.

I don't recommend going the custom route as an entry point unless someone knows exactly what style, color, etc, it is that they want.

I don't recommend going the custom route as an entry point unless someone knows exactly what style, color, etc, it is that they want.

There are customs and then there are Customs. I had a blast with ordering Agnoulita hats. They are only $25-50 more than an Akubra, usually arrive in about 30 days, but they are true custom hats. No, they don’t rival the attention to detail of better hatters, but that’s not their niche. You get WAY more colors of felt to choose from, several textures/finishes, hundreds of ribbon options, All the regular brim edge treatment options, liner and sweatband options, and you get to dictate exactly what dimensions you want the hat made to. Truly a made to order custom for “Akubra money.” Now I’m not ordering more Agnoulitas for a couple of reasons, but mostly because I know what I want and I now prefer hats made with better felt and better ribbon. If Agnoulita offered FEPSA beaver felt and vintage grosgrain ribbon, or even some of the silk ribbon some hatters are using, I’d place another order today.

Be advised: while serviceable and not delicate, the Tonak rabbit fur felt that Agnoulita uses is not nearly as hard wearing or weather resistant as Akubra felt.

Jacora

Familiar Face
How-to swap hatbands? I have a Banjo Peterson in Heritage Fawn. Nice hat, but not my best color. I just ordered a Leisure Time in Federation Navy. Don't know what shade of blue this will be (hopefully dark) but just about any blue is better for my color palette. Anyway, the Banjo has a brown leather hatband that might look nice on the Blue Leisure Time, and the Leisure Time's colored hatband has some blue in it which could give the Banjo a useful nudge in the blue direction. SO, I think I may wish to swap the hatbands on these hats when the LT comes in. Anybody have advice or a link to a tutorial on how to do this?

Last edited:
I am not sure how Akubra attaches their leather hat bands but I do have some western hats and the band is just held by tension....nothing really attaching it to the hat. If you gently pull away the leather you can determine how they have attached it and removal should be easy. On the hats I have made and put on leather bands I too have just used the tension and it works well. That way it is easy to switch them up. If I had to attach it my first inclination would be to use two pieces of double sided tape placed about 180 degrees apart. It won't take much. Perhaps someone with an Akubra with leather can chime in and explain how they attach them.

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
Hello all,
Has anyone seen (in person) or does anyone own The Stetson Hardliner from hatWRKS in Nashville? There website says “the "hardliner" is a stiffer version of the iconic stetson stratoliner.”

dkstott

Practically Family
The leather hatband on my Banjo Patterson is tacked onto the hat through the leather hatband with stitches in 3-4 locations

It'd be a simple matter of snipping the threads to remove it.

I am not sure how Akubra attaches their leather hat bands but I do have some western hats and the band is just held by tension....nothing really attaching it to the hat. If you gently pull away the leather you can determine how they have attached it and removal should be easy. On the hats I have made and put on leather bands I too have just used the tension and it works well. That way it is easy to switch them up. If I had to attach it my first inclination would be to use two pieces of double sided tape placed about 180 degrees apart. It won't take much. Perhaps someone with an Akubra with leather can chime in and explain how they attach them.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
How-to swap hatbands? I have a Banjo Peterson in Heritage Fawn. Nice hat, but not my best color. I just ordered a Leisure Time in Federation Navy. Don't know what shade of blue this will be (hopefully dark) but just about any blue is better for my color palette. Anyway, the Banjo has a brown leather hatband that might look nice on the Blue Leisure Time, and the Leisure Time's colored hatband has some blue in it which could make give the Banjo a useful nudge in the blue direction. SO, I think I may wish to swap the hatbands on these hats when the LT comes in. Anybody have advice or a link to a tutorial on how to do this?

The Akubra's I've removed or changed bands on where normally held in place with 4 or so single stitches.

edit: Beat me to it above ^ lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner