Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Hey, I found this online a while back:

http://www.sunbody.com/images/sunbody%20head%20ruler.pdf

Believe it or not, you print out this PDF file and cut and tape the pieces together to create your own tape measure -- and it has hat sizes on it, too! It might help.

If you're between 24" and 25" then yes, there is hope! I still haven't met anyone with a noggin bigger than mine (but I know they're out there!).

Once you know your size, you might be able to find a shop with hats that will fit you. My first "size 8" hat was actually an LA Dodgers baseball cap. It was the largest they made and it was just right.

Next, you can check online and see all the different styles and maybe find a general style that you like.

But, ya gotta start with your size! Good luck!

BigFitz

Practically Family
Need some help

Hello all,

New to the forum and recently bought my first hat from a fellow member. Problem is although the hat is a good looking piece and the member I bought it from could not have been nicer, I apparently didn't measure my head properly or I converted the size incorrectly.
I measured several times and kept getting 23.5" or 60cm which I converted to 7 1/2 which is the size of the hat I purchased but seems a bit large for comfort. As if a gust of wind would snatch it off without too much trouble. Is my math adding up or maybe I need a 7 3/8.

I know the possibility exists of size variances between manufacturers and maybe someone elses 7 1/2 would fit just fine. I'm dying to wear this hat but I think I may have to pass it on to someone else.

Also, what does long oval signify and how do you know if you need one besides trying one on?

Thanks for any help.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hello all,

New to the forum and recently bought my first hat from a fellow member. Problem is although the hat is a good looking piece and the member I bought it from could not have been nicer, I apparently didn't measure my head properly or I converted the size incorrectly.
I measured several times and kept getting 23.5" or 60cm which I converted to 7 1/2 which is the size of the hat I purchased but seems a bit large for comfort. As if a gust of wind would snatch it off without too much trouble. Is my math adding up or maybe I need a 7 3/8.

I know the possibility exists of size variances between manufacturers and maybe someone elses 7 1/2 would fit just fine. I'm dying to wear this hat but I think I may have to pass it on to someone else.

Also, what does long oval signify and how do you know if you need one besides trying one on?

Thanks for any help.

Well, you can try to pad the sweatband. There's a 3M weatherstripping foam which has an adhesive back which works well. Thefedorastore.com also sells felt strips to do the job. Finally, a home remedy such as a bit carefully folded paper towel can work too.

Long oval denotes the blockshape of the hat and the shape of the wearer's head. If you were able to get a bird's eye view of the top of someone's head, long oval heads are, as the name would suggest, longer from the front to the back. If you put on a hat and it feels tight at the front and/or back of your head, or if there is more room on the sides, that would be the sign of having a long oval head.

MikePotts

Practically Family
My Google Fu is weak today........
I'm trying to find a picture of the actor Ralph Bellamy wearing the black hat in his role as Oil man/Rancher J.W.(Joe) Grant in the cinematic production "The Professionals" - that, OR, someone with good enough recall to tell me what type of hat it was, any help?

TIA, MP

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

.... Is my math adding up or maybe I need a 7 3/8.

Well, you've gotten good suggestions on how to keep that 7½ by padding the sweatband. I'm not sure about your particular hat, but often the sweatband will shrink just a bit with constant wearing so that it may actually become a better fit with age.

As for the math . . . yeah, you're kind of in between a 7½ and 7 3/8. Get your hands on a 7 3/8 hat and see if that fits perfectly. That'll be the test.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My Google Fu is weak today........
I'm trying to find a picture of the actor Ralph Bellamy wearing the black hat in his role as Oil man/Rancher J.W.(Joe) Grant in the cinematic production "The Professionals" - that, OR, someone with good enough recall to tell me what type of hat it was, any help?

TIA, MP

It was an Open Road style with the front snapped down but it wasn't Black, it was a Tan or SB. Here's a pic from the movie. It's one of my favorite EVER :)

1288-153011.gif

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hello all,

Thanks for any help.

If you are brave enough, you can try spraying the hat with some distilled water right around the hat band, and using a hair dyer on it to warm it up, or use some denatured alcohol as when the hat is wet and get's warm it will shrink. I would not advise you to do the heat too much and you can put the hat on and see how it is coming along. Try doing it in steps. The strips or folded paper behind the sweatband will also work. I normally have to do that to all my hats, as I am in the same boat as you about hat sizes, sort of in between sizes.

By they way, I am glad you like the hat. Also, remember all hats do tend to shrink in time as you wear them. The reason is they get damp and then when they dry the will shrink just a bit.

Someone else may have a better instruction about doing the wet hat and shrinking steps then what I do, but I have done it to a few hats I own and taking my time, it brought the hat size down so I don't have to use the sizing strips behind the sweatband any more.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I would suggest padding the sweat, and wearing and sweating in it until it shrinks. When you rush these things with hair dryers and such you run a greater risk of ruining a hat. Patience is virtue.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As I recall, yep! Personaly, I think the Cattlemans crease most ORs are creased with looks good with the front snapped down as a Fedora brim. It's how my father wore his and how I wear mine. :) ( I don't "bash" my hats, they don't look or fit well if I "bash" em :) )

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I would suggest padding the sweat, and wearing and sweating in it until it shrinks. When you rush these things with hair dryers and such you run a greater risk of ruining a hat. Patience is virtue.

Yes indeed. It is something to be done very slowly. When I did that to one of my hats, I spent more than half a day. Sprayed a mist of water on the headband area, and some on the sweatband. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, them misted it again, then used the hairdrier on a low setting for about 5 minutes but did not keep it constantly aimed at the felt of the hat. I think the third time I did that in a few hours, I tried the hat on and noticed it was already tighter fitting. I did the process one more time and it fit like it was made to order!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've looked here for a post about this problem but can't find it. I have a liner in one of my Akubra's that is "drooping" and won't stay up in the crease and I would like to know if there is a way to get it to stay up without removing it to glue it in place. I recall someone else bringing this up and getting some help on it. HELP !! :)

RBH

Bartender
I suggest taking a side of the liner down and putting a small piece of double stick tape in the top of the hat.
[then replace the liner]
I have never had a problen with the tape on felt, and its easy to remove.
BUT.. if anyone has had trouble, please let us know.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I suggest taking a side of the liner down and putting a small piece of double stick tape in the top of the hat.
[then replace the liner]
I have never had a problen with the tape on felt, and its easy to remove.
BUT.. if anyone has had trouble, please let us know.

Thanks . I did not think of double-sided tape. Lots easier than re-setting liner for sure !

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Better Quality Ivy/Pub Cap?

I bought this cap below off eBay for $9.00 just to see if I liked it, and sure enough I do, fits like a glove and I dig how it looks. Problem is it's $9.00 and itches like crazy and gives me a headache. I wanted to get a similar cap but one with better materials and quality of manufacture. My hat size is 7 1/2 (23 1/2 inches) so i think that's an XL. Sorry for the pictures all I have is a cell phone camera. Thanks for any help you can give me.

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana