Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I know I'm tuning into this conversation a little late but I would highly recommend checking out any thrift stores or estate sales or church rummage sales in your area. I have several Stetsons, a Dobbs, a Knox, a couple of Borsalinos, an Akubra, a Bates of London, a Christies, and more...all obtained at these locations and all in good condition. The most I've ever paid for a hat is $15. I just picked up a lovely fur felt black Borsalino fedora at a rummage sale last weekend for $3. It is, however, a matter of perseverance and patience.

Fantastic idea, thanks DNO!!!

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Water repellant for everday hat?

Just wondering if there were any water repellants that you would recommend for an everyday hat that won't affect color or appearance. The hat is an Akubra Camp Draft. It sheds light rain fine but as I do fish with it and wear it about almost daily, I was wondering if some Scotchgard-like stuff would add to its weatherproofness without affecting appearance? I'd love to get a 100% beaver but haven't yet.
Regards,
Jedidiah

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Just wondering if there were any water repellants that you would recommend for an everyday hat that won't affect color or appearance. The hat is an Akubra Camp Draft. It sheds light rain fine but as I do fish with it and wear it about almost daily, I was wondering if some Scotchgard-like stuff would add to its weatherproofness without affecting appearance? I'd love to get a 100% beaver but haven't yet.
Regards,
Jedidiah

Jedidiah,
You say your hat is an Akubra? If so why are you wanting to "waterproof" it? They are the worlds BEST hats for wear in the rain or really just about ANY inclement weather you might encounter. I have several that have taken complete immersions in a stock tank and dried up just fine, just set the crease when it gets soaked, DON'T use heat to aid the drying, though you might want to invest in a "hat jack" to put in it while it dries and just let it air dry, give it a brushing when dry and put it on your head and out the door you go ! I've had Akubra's for OVER 30+ years and NEVER used any waterproofing. :)

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Then go to a hat store and try a bunch on.

If you decide that you want to be serious about wearing a hat, the $40 you spend on a cheap wool hat could have been better spent on a proper fur felt.

I honestly have never seen a store that sells real fedora hats. I'll be in NYC next week for a workshop I'm sure I can find one there.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I honestly have never seen a store that sells real fedora hats. I'll be in NYC next week for a workshop I'm sure I can find one there.
Here's Bencrafts address and phone:

888.236.2723 (toll free) | 718-438.9649 (new york)
4202 13th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11219 | 236 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY 11211
Store Hours: Sunday-Thursday 10am-6pm (est) | Friday 10am-3pm (est)

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I've had one of my hats two years, my travel hat for a year-plus and just acquired my third hat this week. But I've never bothered to get a hat brush.

With the arrival of a new hat I took a close look at the others and realized they are dusty and generally a little sad-looking. So I went out in search of a brush this morning and ended up with a 2-inch, angled "natural bristle" paint brush meant for putting oil-based paint on trimwork.

Five minutes per hat really spruced them up nicely. Should I bother to get a "real" hat brush or will this China Bristle brush work just about as well. Honestly, it's hard to see how a different brush would have done any better job at removing dust/lint and bringing the surface of the felt back up to a nice finish.

brush.JPG

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
With the arrival of a new hat I took a close look at the others and realized they are dusty and generally a little sad-looking. So I went out in search of a brush this morning and ended up with a 2-inch, angled "natural bristle" paint brush meant for putting oil-based paint on trimwork.

Five minutes per hat really spruced them up nicely. Should I bother to get a "real" hat brush or will this China Bristle brush work just about as well. Honestly, it's hard to see how a different brush would have done any better job at removing dust/lint and bringing the surface of the felt back up to a nice finish.

Looks fine to me. As long as it does what you want it to do ... go with it! :yo:

BlinkyInky

New in Town
I need help finding a certain type of hat. I am looking for a wide-brimmed and floppy hat (much like the stories of Odin in Norse Mythology). I have no clue where to start, but I would like it to be made out of wool/tweed or something similar. I am quite partial to these kinds of hats.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about

draft_lens2162111module11383046photo_1220802876odin.jpg

I have something similar to this Irish Walking Hat, but its brim isn't wide enough for my tastes.
872-411B-All%20-1.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:

Subject 18

New in Town
Searching for a "gangster style" fedora

I haven't had much luck finding a quality fedora online. I just want to see what you professionals and experts have to say about finding a good "gangster" fedora. I was planning on wearing it in all types of weather like they did in the 1940s, or at least from the tv shows and movies I saw.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
If you mean like what Michael Jackson wore type in ebay search gangster fedora, you'll get lots of results.

I think the borsalino film is supposed to have the look you are shooting for depending on what you are looking to spend.

If you are willing to get used just look on ebay or in the classified section for something with that look.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Federation IV from hatsdirect.com....perfect 30's/40's style open crown hat, will take a variety of creases. Trim the brim a bit to get a more 30's look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana