Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

job

One Too Many
capone2.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"GANGSTER" is a generic, stereotyped & manufactured Hollywoodesque magazine term that folk throw willy-nilly about, but means very little.
As people involved in organised crime in the 30's and 40's Depression Era wore a variety of headwear in different styles according to their individual tastes of the time, just like we do today. (Capone's taste was different to Dillinger's was different to Nelson's..etc).

'If' you want to read up on hats of 'that era' (30's and 40's) and then choose one that 'you like' that compliments 'your' noggin and facial features, then there's 'more than enough' info in the 'hats' section' to allow for an informed decision.

Plus..I'm sure the Gents *here* will be more than happy to point you in the right direction :) HAPPY HUNTING.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I haven't had much luck finding a quality fedora online. I just want to see what you professionals and experts have to say about finding a good "gangster" fedora. I was planning on wearing it in all types of weather like they did in the 1940s, or at least from the tv shows and movies I saw.

Whats a "gangster" fedora? Back in the 30s/40s ALL men wore Fedora's. As for a "quality" fedora on-line, there are LOTS of 'em made by Stetson, Biltmore, Bailey, and Akubra and they are ALL sold through good web retailers both here and overseas. Spend some time looking and try getting more specific as to the actual style of Fedora yoou are looking for :) And there is always the custom route with several makers available online. Spend some more time doing your research about just WHAT you want here on this Forum :)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Stratoliner Hat Box

I have a question for anyone with experience storing your strat in a strat box. I didn't realize how much you had to bend the brim to get the strat in the box. Have you noticed any bad or good effect on your strat after storing it in the strat box for an extended period? I'm a little nervous about keeping one of mine in there.
Thanks,
Mike

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I have a question for anyone with experience storing your strat in a strat box. I didn't realize how much you had to bend the brim to get the strat in the box. Have you noticed any bad or good effect on your strat after storing it in the strat box for an extended period? I'm a little nervous about keeping one of mine in there.

Box works just fine. No ill effects, in my experience.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Just from the picture, I'm going to take a stab at the dimensions that your looking for is a 5 5/8 inch to 5 3/4 inch open crown and a 2 1/4 inch to 2 3/8 inch brim. The ribbon will probably be anywhere from 1 1/2 inches wide to 2 inches wide. These are pretty basic dimensions when looking for that "style" of hat. Really what your looking for is a 1920's/early 1930's proportioned fedora. This is my favorite type of hat, but like many people on the lounge have said, it all depends on your facial structure and build to determine if the hat will look good on you. Just my two cents.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars

If you're looking for a 1930s-style fedora--and you don't want or can't afford a custom hat--you might want to consider the Federation IV, mentioned earlier. Mine was about $150 including shipping. Here's one in black:

fed4-black-large.jpg

but they come in dark brown, tawny fawn (tan), "moonstone" (light grey), and carbon (dark) grey.

They have the straight sides, like the one pictured with Johnny Depp, and come with an open crown allowing you to create the "bash" you want and they're styled like the pre-WWII fedoras. Go to www.hatsdirect.com for info and to order.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think the 'normal' reference was in reference to the Fed IV's dimensional brim which was not what most men wore in the 30s, or at any time, apparently. But its nothing a sharp scissors and a sharp eye couldn't fix.

Subject 18

New in Town
Sorry for the confusion, I am new to vintage style. I should've done research first. Thanks for the help!
I also measured my head and I'm 23 inches give or take a few centimeters. I really like that Optimo Dillinger fedora, but I don't have money for something like that. I don't have a job yet because "I'm too young to work" and my parents don't want to spend that much money on "some silly hat I'll only wear for a few days". I want to dress with class, or at least with some class at least, instead of dressing like the generic teenager of the 21st century... it disgusts me how they present themselves. (sorry for that little rant haha)

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Look, some here will not like what I suggest.
If you have a Dillards close, go and see if they have any of the Stetson crusable fedoras there.
If you are lucky to find any [the local store here has about 4 options, 2 of them have nice high looking crowns.] try them on. See how they look on you and maybe even buy one. You could get by with one for under 70 dollars. Plenty of money but not extreme. Then wear the hat see if you really like it and I can tell you you can get your moneys worth out of it.
Then when yoiu know you like a hat and what style you can start saving for a proper fur hat.
I really hope this helps you out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner