Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I bought this cap below off eBay for $9.00 just to see if I liked it, and sure enough I do, fits like a glove and I dig how it looks. Problem is it's $9.00 and itches like crazy and gives me a headache. I wanted to get a similar cap but one with better materials and quality of manufacture. My hat size is 7 1/2 (23 1/2 inches) so i think that's an XL. Sorry for the pictures all I have is a cell phone camera. Thanks for any help you can give me.

]

Welcome, Doc! Couple of things: if it gives you a headache, it's too tight. As for the itchiness, look for one with a satin liner and a leather sweatband; that'll keep the wool off your skin. Check out this "Cap Faction" thread, http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?23684-The-Cap-Faction, where plenty of information awaits. Good luck, and have fun searching!

Last edited:

simon1

New in Town
Was hat stretched properly?

Hi all. Been lurking around a bit from time to time and decided to join. If this has been asked before please excuse me. I have a Stetson Temple, size 6 7/8, that's a little snug. My Bailey Guthrie is a Medium and is a little loose but I like the fit better (I can always put some folded newspaper in the sweatband). I took the Stetson to the local western wear store to have it stretched closer to a size 7. The guy steamed it and the stretcher used had wood all the way around so that it contacted the hat on all sides. He got it stretched in just a couple of minutes and had me try it on, and it fit better. He put the stretcher back in, steamed it again, and let it set overnight with the stretcher in it.

When I picked it up the next day it fit better, but now it seems to have shrank back to it's original size.

So, my question is should he have taken more time stretching it or is this an acceptable way of stretching a hat? As winter is coming on I'd really like to get the Stetson to where it doesn't give me such a bad case of hat hair.

job

One Too Many
Welcome Simon, You can stretch it a little using your knee and pulling back on it. You might want to buy a hat stretcher. Once your hat is the size you want it just leave the hat stretcher in it so the hat band cannot shrink back to its original size.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Welcome, Doc! Couple of things: if it gives you a headache, it's too tight. As for the itchiness, look for one with a satin liner and a leather sweatband; that'll keep the wool off your skin. Check out this "Cap Faction" thread, http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?23684-The-Cap-Faction, where plenty of information awaits. Good luck, and have fun searching!

Thank your for the reply, I checked out that thread and I didn't find a cap like the one I'm wearing here, I did order a newsboy cap from b!wear though, always wanted one and $35.00 I can part with. The hunt continues for a cap similar to the one in my referenced pics but with better materials.

garryowen

New in Town
Does anyone know what period B. Pasquale Co. used this logo on their hats?

$(KGrHqN,!lEE50CqU1SFBOn0wMjIBg~~60_3.JPG

Last edited:

masiaka

Familiar Face
For those of you who've ordered a hat from Akubra in Australia: Are the chin strap hooks standard, or are they more common on the David Morgan hats than Aussie Akubras? They seem to be mentioned a lot on DM's website but almost nowhere else, and that got me to wondering...

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
For those of you who've ordered a hat from Akubra in Australia: Are the chin strap hooks standard, or are they more common on the David Morgan hats than Aussie Akubras? They seem to be mentioned a lot on DM's website but almost nowhere else, and that got me to wondering...

DM has the factory put them in on most of the hats he imports. I don't believe they are put in the Aussie market models. Also, many of the Aussie models are sold in Australia sans liner and ALL of DM's hats have liners.

Duper

Practically Family

Sam at Everythingaustralian offers a free kangaroo chin strap and barrel lock with any new hat, but the process is more invasive and irreversible as they put holes in the hat brim. Not exactly what you asked, but I think still on topic.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Rue D'Orsay

Lining reads: "Rue D'Orsay Made exclusively for Justers"

P1010032.jpg

P1010033.jpg

Is anyone familialr with this?

I'd shoot a 'head shot' but frankly it makes my head itch just to look at it right now - naptha bath tomorrow!

MP

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Colors of Alessandria

I jsut had a little windfall, and as the weather is getting a little cooler, I'm in hat mode again for the first time in 7 months. The Borsalino Alessandria over at Bencraft has been on my radar for a while, partly because of the 2.5" brim, and partly because of the range of colors. I've written to Steven there, and haven't heard back yet, but I'm curious. The dark brown, how close to black is it? On my monitor, the pic on Bencraft's site looks pretty dark. And the "light gray" color -- is that the classic silverbelly?

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Sorry if this was asked already in this thread, I haven't had time to read entirely through it. But what brand would be a good first Fedora, just to feel it out and see if I can pull it off? Thanks!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the reply but those are expensive, I took a look at those two. I was thinking more in the $40 price range, just to see if I like wearing it. I may put one on, deem I look absurd and in the closet it goes.
Keep an eye on the classifieds...what size are you? There have been several hats for sale recently in that range.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the reply but those are expensive, I took a look at those two. I was thinking more in the $40 price range, just to see if I like wearing it. I may put one on, deem I look absurd and in the closet it goes.

Then go to a hat store and try a bunch on.

If you decide that you want to be serious about wearing a hat, the $40 you spend on a cheap wool hat could have been better spent on a proper fur felt.

DNO

One Too Many

I know I'm tuning into this conversation a little late but I would highly recommend checking out any thrift stores or estate sales or church rummage sales in your area. I have several Stetsons, a Dobbs, a Knox, a couple of Borsalinos, an Akubra, a Bates of London, a Christies, and more...all obtained at these locations and all in good condition. The most I've ever paid for a hat is $15. I just picked up a lovely fur felt black Borsalino fedora at a rummage sale last weekend for $3. It is, however, a matter of perseverance and patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ