Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
001copyl.jpg

Any suggestions on a DIY quick repair so that the white glue residue doesn't show? I'm not sure it was this noticeable a few months ago, but must be separating more from wear.
I don't really want to bother with sending it anywhere and having the ribbon replaced at this time. What would you do to try and mask the white glue residue (I think!) that is showing here?

VintageFeds

New in Town
Hello, first post here.
I have recently begun to research two fedoras from two movies that inspired
Indiana Jones: Harry Steele's fedora from Secret of the Incas; and Fred
Dobbs's fedora from Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Steele's fedora seems to be a very wide brimmed, medium crowned hat with
a brown ribbon that matches the color. Any more info, or even exact specs?

Dobbs's fedora seems to be a short brimmed grey hat with a black ribbon.
Does anyone know its true colors, or have any specs?

paulrichard

New in Town
"I've got a quick question (I hope). I want a 40's style fedora. The Stetson Whippet is just the style I'm looking for but I want dark gray. The Whippet only comes in light gray. Can you recommend a similar style fedora that I can get in dark gray? Thanks."

Thanks for replying. My internet has been down so it's been hard to respond. Yeah, I'm looking at a modern Whippet. My problem is I'm a newbie so I want to try the hat on before I buy. I like the way I look in the Whippet. The Fed IV looks more Indiana Jones to me but I've only seen it online. Looks like a center dent instead of a c crown. I think I'll just take a chance and get the light grey Whippet. Do you think light grey, aka, Caribou, will show stains easily?

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
"I've got a quick question (I hope). I want a 40's style fedora. The Stetson Whippet is just the style I'm looking for but I want dark gray. The Whippet only comes in light gray. Can you recommend a similar style fedora that I can get in dark gray? Thanks."

Thanks for replying. My internet has been down so it's been hard to respond. Yeah, I'm looking at a modern Whippet. My problem is I'm a newbie so I want to try the hat on before I buy. I like the way I look in the Whippet. The Fed IV looks more Indiana Jones to me but I've only seen it online. Looks like a center dent instead of a c crown. I think I'll just take a chance and get the light grey Whippet. Do you think light grey, aka, Caribou, will show stains easily?

The Fed IV does make a nice Indy hat, but it is an open crown hat which can be shaped to your liking. There are plenty of tutorials here on The Fedora Lounge about achieving different creases. It is really not as daunting as it seems. And this is coming from someone who was strongly considering paying David Morgan the $25 to crease the Adventurer.

With regards to your second post, a custom rabbit felt hat from Black Sheep Hat Works or Falcon Park Hattery will come in under $200. Black Sheep hats start at $195, Falcon Park at $125. I've not dealt with Falcon Park Hattery personally, but TonyB has many happy customers here. I have dealt with Mr. Bob Jessee at Black Sheep and would highly recommend him. The new Whippet looks to be priced about $175 as far as I can tell online. So you would be spending a bit more to get one from Bob, or save a few bucks from Tony. But, IMHO, you'd also be getting a better hat in terms of materials (a nicer sweatband, cleaner ribbon work) and in all likelihood, better felt.

RBH

Bartender
Hello, first post here.
I have recently begun to research two fedoras from two movies that inspired
Indiana Jones: Harry Steele's fedora from Secret of the Incas; and Fred
Dobbs's fedora from Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Steele's fedora seems to be a very wide brimmed, medium crowned hat with
a brown ribbon that matches the color. Any more info, or even exact specs?

Dobbs's fedora seems to be a short brimmed grey hat with a black ribbon.
Does anyone know its true colors, or have any specs?

Welcome to the Lounge.
As to the Steele hat from INCAS, this thread may help. Its the best I could locate.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Chamberlain-s-quot-Allan-Quatermain-quot-hat
But your best bet outside of a custom would be to get a western hat and shape it like Steeles.
That way you would have enough brim to work with and also have a tall crown.
As to Fred C Dobbs, this thread might help.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?42992-BOGARTS-FEDORA

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Glue? Magic marker? My goodness, stitch it back into place.

I know I know, but it was glued in the first place, and I must have stretched it a bit much initially, though I could swear I was fairly gentle. There clearly was a clean cut in that ribbon previously, but the "loose end" isn't loose at all. I mean it's secured to the felt somehow.

I think the real solution is a new ribbon, because the broken edge here would have to stretch considerably in order to reach the bow seamlessly. I just need something temporary because I've already got a few restorations waiting around in Parker's shop and this is relatively minor in comparison.

So far the sharpie seems to stick to the glue residue enough to turn it black-ish instead of white! I swear I didn't glue anything!

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
That brush should be fine.

If your hat gets rained on, snap the brim up, turn the sweat-band out, and set it on the sweatband to dry, in other words, in its normal position. I would not set it on the crown because the weight of the wet hat may deform it.

Tom

BR Gordon

One Too Many
That’s an awfully broad question.

Read the discussions that go on here and learn from what you read. Form your own opinions and create your own style. One thing that I’ve learned is that my own likes and dislike evolve.

The most important thing is to enjoy what you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot