Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

timmiles

New in Town
Help finding this kind of Hat...

Hello everyone, first of all thanks for having me on this forum. I am an avid hat collector and have recently started experimenting with Newsboy caps. The type of hat i'd like is the two on the links below that Johnny Depp is wearing. My problem is every newsboy hat i buy seems to fit perfectly but not have that extra bit on top thats flops over the side of the hat, seen in the photos on the links. Are these oversized newsboy caps? or completely different caps altogether? was just hoping someone could shed some light on it for me!

I live in the UK also incase anyone can point me in the direction of where to buy them from!

Thank you!

http://www.caliqo.com/ebay/hats_masks_gloves/johnny_depp_cap_08.jpg

http://www.thirdage.com/files/originals/johnny-depp-rum-diary-premiere.jpg

timmiles

New in Town
I would agree, but it looks as though there is more material to this hat than a standard newsboy cap. I have a few black 8 panel Newsboys and they fit perfectly but don't have that extra material look, they just sit on my head as they should. I just can't seem to find one like these hats, i have done some research online and still struggle to find the hat maker or even type of hat. Thanks for your fast reply!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There actually was a vintage 1920s newsboy cap model that looked exactly like Depp's cap in the first photo. I have one in dark blue; it's in excellent condition. I'm very willing to sell it. Would you be interested in purchasing, timmiles? If so, I'll post photos.

Luckie

New in Town
Here's a question for ya'll. I recently got a vintage Royal Stetson Fedora was supposed to be 6 7/8 but it's been stretched out a bit, I could put in some sizer but I was thinking how can I shrink it? Could I put it in the oven and shrink it? Has anyone tried that? How would you go about it? I got an Eddie Bauer Gun Club as well and although it's been stretched out a bit I put sizers in it, not sure it would shrink due to how stiff it is. I got the hats at a steal price so I don't mind experimenting with the Royal one, but would like some advice first. if anyone had tried this method.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Here's a question for ya'll. I recently got a vintage Royal Stetson Fedora was supposed to be 6 7/8 but it's been stretched out a bit, I could put in some sizer but I was thinking how can I shrink it? Could I put it in the oven and shrink it? Has anyone tried that? How would you go about it? I got an Eddie Bauer Gun Club as well and although it's been stretched out a bit I put sizers in it, not sure it would shrink due to how stiff it is. I got the hats at a steal price so I don't mind experimenting with the Royal one, but would like some advice first. if anyone had tried this method.

well assuming you don't want to send it to me to wear, you can trying dampening the sweatband and putting it over the top of a lampshade and turn the lamp on. I would not attempt putting it in the oven. That is too much heat.

gunship_bruce

New in Town
Hi everyone! I'm a new member to the community and this is my first post so I'm not sure this question is being posted in the right place. This is a question addressed to my fellow canucks: I live in Toronto and am looking to get my first decent hat, are there any hat shops that you guys can point me to for me to get started aside from places like Big It Up?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone! I'm a new member to the community and this is my first post so I'm not sure this question is being posted in the right place. This is a question addressed to my fellow canucks: I live in Toronto and am looking to get my first decent hat, are there any hat shops that you guys can point me to for me to get started aside from places like Big It Up?

Hmm, try checking out this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?31181-Hat-Stores-a-list

Or, if you wanted to go all in, check out: http://www.leondrexler.com/New_Leon_Drexler_Website/Home.html

MikePotts

Practically Family
Falcon Park Hats have a decent reputation on this board for doing good and reasonably priced sweat replacement - maybe they can repair too?
I just had one replaced by Peters Bros in Ft.Worth and can personally attest to their quality.

There is a list of currently operating hatters somewhere around here - should only take a couple of 'phone calls or e-mails to find someone who can help.

MP

MikePotts

Practically Family
Lamson Hubbard dates?

Does anyone know when Lamson Hubbard were operating? I now own one of theirs and someone is bound to ask me how old it is!

MP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner