Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
But of course. I think of them as general guidelines more so than hard and fast rules. While it's definitely true that different widths/heights suit different face shapes; that doesn't mean that only one type of hat will look good on any particular person.

RJR

Yes,PB is operating.The word is that a "friend"offered website help and the obvious happened.Best to just call or look on Facebook.

Ybor City Dave

New in Town
Yes,PB is operating.The word is that a "friend"offered website help and the obvious happened.Best to just call or look on Facebook.

Thanks folks. They answered an email yesterday. My unobservant friend in Ft. Worth was quite happy because they have a tap room next door. Beer and hats, a great combination.

You're in the right place, JLouise. Start with photos, inside and out. If you know the manufacturer of the hat, post on that thread (i.e., Borsalino on the Borsalino Brotherhood thread, Dobbs on the Dobbs Diner, etc. Or, you can always have some fun by doing the research (as much as is possible) on one of those threads here.

Looking forward to seeing what you have, and what you come up with. Good luck!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Would a hemp hat such as the Akubra Range be a good candidate for re-blocking and re-flanging by a hatter? I think it has a milan-style construction.

Let me ask you another question.....why?

The hat is $125 on David Morgan...to then plop down at least $50 on a reblock and reflange....plus whatever changes you're making, plus shipping, you're getting up to or past $200. Plop down the money on a mid range Panama or spend a bit more to get a custom Milan from Art Fawcett.

What is it that you're looking to achieve with the relock?

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Let me ask you another question.....why?

The hat is $125 on David Morgan...to then plop down at least $50 on a reblock and reflange....plus whatever changes you're making, plus shipping, you're getting up to or past $200. Plop down the money on a mid range Panama or spend a bit more to get a custom Milan from Art Fawcett.

What is it that you're looking to achieve with the relock?
I was mainly thinking of changing just the flange, to give it a snap. However since the brim is also too big for my liking (I prefer 2.5"-2.75"), I thought maybe I could remove some of the slack by increasing the height of the crown (better idea than cutting the brim down, no?), thus making it even more stylish.

I wasn't planning to buy anything from David Morgan (the hat costs about $75 less at E.A.), and I don't need to ship the hat in order to get a professional treatment by Vincent Corvelli (an old-time hatter who is relatively local to me).

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I was mainly thinking of changing just the flange, to give it a snap. However since the brim is also too big for my liking (I prefer 2.5"-2.75"), I thought maybe I could remove some of the slack by increasing the height of the crown (better idea than cutting the brim down, no?), thus making it even more stylish.

I wasn't planning to buy anything from David Morgan (the hat costs about $75 less at E.A.), and I don't need to ship the hat in order to get a professional treatment by Vincent Corvelli (an old-time hatter who is relatively local to me).

Sounds like you already have a plan. "JUST DO IT!"

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
What Bob said.

Still seems like a lot of effort for a relatively inexpensive hat. If it were me, I'd just spend more time finding a hat with better proportions, but to each their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner