Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I am also an unwilling permanent pedestrian due to blindness. I walk everywhere in my small town, and wear hats every day for protection from the elements.
Sun protection us pretty simple. A wide brim felt or straw (2 1/2" to 3") for the shade plus sunblock is what I do. Lots of folks here are big fans of the Akubra brand for good felt at a good price. There are other lesser expensive hat brands too, research here on the forums can point you in the right direction. A tightly woven straw for hot weather is also a good thing to have. If you are fortunate enough to be a size 7 1/8 or smaller, ebay has lots of decent deals on vintage hats both felt and straw.
For rain, any all fur felt hat will provide some protection, a beaver blend or all beaver will provide a little more than all rabbit but they are no substitute for an umbrella. Oilskin or impermeable materials may keep your head dry longer but I have found from experience that if you get caught in a downpour far from home no hat will keep you as protected as an umbrella. It's a pain with it in one hand and a cane in the other, but it works. My situation most likely is different from yours, as I need my cane mostly for rough ground and to feel how high curbs and steps are. You might find it more difficult the more you use yours for navigation.
That's my experience on the matter. Hope it helps and welcome to the Lounge!

I am also an unwilling permanent pedestrian due to blindness. I walk everywhere in my small town, and wear hats every day for protection from the elements.
Sun protection us pretty simple. A wide brim felt or straw (2 1/2" to 3") for the shade plus sunblock is what I do. Lots of folks here are big fans of the Akubra brand for good felt at a good price. There are other lesser expensive hat brands too, research here on the forums can point you in the right direction. A tightly woven straw for hot weather is also a good thing to have. If you are fortunate enough to be a size 7 1/8 or smaller, ebay has lots of decent deals on vintage hats both felt and straw.
For rain, any all fur felt hat will provide some protection, a beaver blend or all beaver will provide a little more than all rabbit but they are no substitute for an umbrella. Oilskin or impermeable materials may keep your head dry longer but I have found from experience that if you get caught in a downpour far from home no hat will keep you as protected as an umbrella. It's a pain with it in one hand and a cane in the other, but it works. My situation most likely is different from yours, as I need my cane mostly for rough ground and to feel how high curbs and steps are. You might find it more difficult the more you use yours for navigation.
That's my experience on the matter. Hope it helps and welcome to the Lounge!

Is this place great or not?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

ingineer

One Too Many
Gus;
I've been walking with a hat and cane due to a stroke.
the Tilley TM10 along with a couple other Tilleys has been my favourite go to hat.
three seasons all good, keeps the rain off
crush-able fits in my backpack
cord to secure it in very high winds
fits low on your head by design, pay attention to sizing chart, one size over your regular size
little pocket with space to write your name
washable
about 84 bucks but lasts forever
a little beat up but pic:

RJR

Gus;
the Tilley TM10 along with a couple other Tilleys has been my favourite go to hat.
three seasons all good, keeps the rain off
crush-able fits in my backpack
cord to secure it in very high winds
fits low on your head by design, pay attention to sizing chart, one size over your regular size
little pocket with space to write your name
washable
about 84 bucks but lasts forever
a little beat up but pic:
Hard to beat.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Down in my neck of the swamp it's hot most of the year with unexpected deluges on an almost daily basis. My 3" brim Sunbody is my most constant companion, as the thing can get drenched and come back good as new. A friend wears the Tilleys, but I'm not crazy about their styles. Up where you are I can't think of a better hat for most of the year than the Akubra Campdraft: it's a nice-looking hat and rebounds from a soaking with no problem. I think most of the members here would agree that it's the best deal on the market for the price.

Scooterz

Practically Family
2nd vote for Sunbody palm leaf hats. Unlike some other types of straw hats the water is ok for palm leaf hats. Only thing is my nice white hat turned to a natural color after several times getting really wet. You can easily find some under $100.

So I am assuming that you are either single, or have a significant other/spouse that is extremely tolerant of your hat addiction.
Spouse, married 35 years and still counting. And I would describe her as "supportive" rather than "tolerant", but I'm sure her opinions of my hats are comprised of both to some degree. I've only been wearing hats regularly for a little over eight years, so averaging one hat a year isn't too extreme. Besides, she has more purses than I have hats, so... :D

Spouse, married 35 years and still counting. And I would describe her as "supportive" rather than "tolerant", but I'm sure her opinions of my hats are comprised of both to some degree. I've only been wearing hats regularly for a little over eight years, so averaging one hat a year isn't too extreme. Besides, she has more purses than I have hats, so... :D

If it's tolerant to deal with eight hats, my wife must be a saint considering how many I have!! [emoji4]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

pedestrian

New in Town
Gus;
Thank you ingineer,
Tilley seems to make a lot of hats, and their descriptions aren't very helpful for me. I have been having trouble understanding the difference between their hats. I'll see if I can find this one on their site.

It sounds like less maintenance then the Filson Bush hat, for not too much more cost up-front.

pedestrian

New in Town
Thank you to everyone who weighed in so far. I'll definitely check out the Tilley TM10 and the Akubra camp draft.

I'll probably skip the Sunbody for now. Maybe in the future, if I decide to expand to a cool-weather hat and a warm-weather hat. But for now, I just want to start with a general most-weather hat.

RJR

Thank you to everyone who weighed in so far. I'll definitely check out the Tilley TM10 and the Akubra camp draft.

I'll probably skip the Sunbody for now. Maybe in the future, if I decide to expand to a cool-weather hat and a warm-weather hat. But for now, I just want to start with a general most-weather hat.
Tilley does make quite a selection;I think you'll find that you need to choose material,brim width and ventilation to narrow your choice.

Tilley LTM in nylon. A wonderful, durable fabric that feels like cotton but lasts forever - machine washable. This is the LTM3 which has a snap for the brim. I wore this every day until I lost the first one. Bought a replacement, and then decided to buy a few more hats. Why have just one, right? (head slap emoticon).

alan_tilley.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Tilley LTM in nylon. A wonderful, durable fabric that feels like cotton but lasts forever - machine washable. This is the LTM3 which has a snap for the brim. I wore this every day until I lost the first one. Bought a replacement, and then decided to buy a few more hats. Why have just one, right? (head slap emoticon).

alan_tilley.jpg
An unusual hat to see you in, Alan!
BTW, are you dropping a gang sign or calling for a curveball?:D

An unusual hat to see you in, Alan!
BTW, are you dropping a gang sign or calling for a curveball?:D

I still wear the Tilley often... on hikes, in the rain and it always accompanies me when I travel. It folds flat.

This photo was taken for a book of randomly selected attendees (from 30,000) who came out to listen to the Dalai Lama when he spoke at the University of Buffalo in 2006. I felt quite awkward being photographed and didn't know what to do with my hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner