Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Here is the link to the thread on hat etiquette. There are 60 pages of discussion on the appropriateness of wearing your hat inside, outside, in restaurants, while making love, and maybe even what to do in case of an alien invasion. Have at it, @bobm!
The etiquette discussion in that thread starts at post 53, @bobm.

Here's a search that should help find the etiquette questions/discussions in this thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/search/8679407/?page=2&q=etiquette&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=41576

bobm

A-List Customer
Thanks Guys. Too much to read today and I know the answers are in there, but my questions were not really about hat etiquette, but more about practicality, rather simply - what the heck do most guys do when they are in a place where you simply wouldn't keep your Fedora on - a fine restaurant, a play, etc. Wear it from house to car and leave it in there? Seems silly. Not wear one at all? And the dreaded "hat hair" - in the heat of summer, even with a very lightweight, vented straw hat, my hair gets kinda wet and messy. In the winter, noticeable flattening. I guess that's the trade-off.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Guys. Too much to read today and I know the answers are in there, but my questions were not really about hat etiquette, but more about practicality, rather simply - what the heck do most guys do when they are in a place where you simply wouldn't keep your Fedora on - a fine restaurant, a play, etc. Wear it from house to car and leave it in there? Seems silly. Not wear one at all? And the dreaded "hat hair" - in the heat of summer, even with a very lightweight, vented straw hat, my hair gets kinda wet and messy. In the winter, noticeable flattening. I guess that's the trade-off.
quick non detailed answer

yes -
elevator
lobby
bar
luncheonette counter
public transportation
sporting event
post office , airport etc.

no-
someones residence
while being introduced indoors or out
church
school, library, courthouse etc
restaurants
during national anthem

that being said ... it is not 1940 , do as you wish

yes -
elevator
lobby
bar
luncheonette counter
public transportation
sporting event

no-
someones residence
while being introduced indoors or out
church
school, library, courthouse etc
restaurants
during national anthem

that being said ... it is not 1940 , do as you wish

Good summation, moon. Suitable for printing out and stuffing behind your sweat band!

As for hat hair, ya just gotta live with it, I guess.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
And the dreaded "hat hair" - in the heat of summer, even with a very lightweight, vented straw hat, my hair gets kinda wet and messy. In the winter, noticeable flattening. I guess that's the trade-off.

Want you want is a product called 'Hollywood hair spray', it's invisible & odorless. It allows you to wear a hat all day long, sweat like a race horse & when you take your hat off, your hair looks like you've just been to the hairdressers.. As used by movie stars. :rolleyes:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Want you want is a product called 'Hollywood hair spray', it's invisible & odorless. It allows you to wear a hat all day long, sweat like a race horse & when you take your hat off, your hair looks like you've just been to the hairdressers.. As used by movie stars. :rolleyes:
Yer serious? Gotta find it.

EstherWeis

Vendor

yes -
elevator
lobby
bar
luncheonette counter
public transportation
sporting event