Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eli104

New in Town
OK gang, just have to post this. A few weeks ago, someone asked about hat repair, I responded that I had sent my 1960's G. B. Borsalino to a guy named Pa-Fig (he's in Facebook) to have the leather sweatband repaired but NOT replaced. I received his name from JJ Hat Center in Manhattan. So I'm going to try to post some pictures of the results of this venture. Note: the hat belonged to my father, passed to me in the 1970's. I wore it in rock clubs in the 80's, and retired it for some years except for special occasions Pa-Fig discovered that the hat had been repaired before, at least once, maybe more. The sweatband had been glued in, and poorly stitched (which is why it separated again), as well as having nearly a hole worn through the peak of the crown (which Pa noticed when he pulled the hat apart... he approved of the repair). In the end, he salvaged the sweatband and reshape the hat to what you see here. This may not be the oldest hat I own, but the other Borsalinos are from my wife's side of the family. This one is from my father, and still has the $25.00 price tag under the band!

I cannot recommend Pa-Fig any higher!
8c41a30a60076b52b16c0c865744eca9.jpg
d7e44f28cb80e6238d21342d5ffef779.jpg
014d5872917801ebbf3e18d89bba7ccb.jpg
495589bcbc540f5b4a3da60702ca6a0e.jpg

Eli

OK gang, just have to post this. A few weeks ago, someone asked about hat repair, I responded that I had sent my 1960's G. B. Borsalino to a guy named Pa-Fig (he's in Facebook) to have the leather sweatband repaired but NOT replaced. I received his name from JJ Hat Center in Manhattan. So I'm going to try to post some pictures of the results of this venture. Note: the hat belonged to my father, passed to me in the 1970's. I wore it in rock clubs in the 80's, and retired it for some years except for special occasions Pa-Fig discovered that the hat had been repaired before, at least once, maybe more. The sweatband had been glued in, and poorly stitched (which is why it separated again), as well as having nearly a hole worn through the peak of the crown (which Pa noticed when he pulled the hat apart... he approved of the repair). In the end, he salvaged the sweatband and reshape the hat to what you see here. This may not be the oldest hat I own, but the other Borsalinos are from my wife's side of the family. This one is from my father, and still has the $25.00 price tag under the band!

I cannot recommend Pa-Fig any higher!
8c41a30a60076b52b16c0c865744eca9.jpg
d7e44f28cb80e6238d21342d5ffef779.jpg
014d5872917801ebbf3e18d89bba7ccb.jpg
495589bcbc540f5b4a3da60702ca6a0e.jpg

Eli

Super, Eli. Way to keep that connection with Dad.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will just chime in here and agree with the Tilley hat as a great option. Life time guarantee, price controlled. My first real hat was a Tilley T3 when I was 15 and I still wear it from time to time.
Johnny

bobm

A-List Customer
Here's a question for the Fedora cognoscenti out there. Now, I have about a dozen or so Fedoras - straw and felt. Admittedly not a huge collection, but probably more than I need. I like the way Fedoras look - if you got the right hat, it adds a certain "thing." And they are functional - in the summer, keeps the sun/UV rays off your face and head, in the colder weather, keeps your head warm and when it rains can keep your head dry (though I think most of us are better served using an umbrella).
BUT, BUT, BUT, when waking around town - or wherever, what do you do with them when you choose to go inside a store or mall - hold it in your hand? Or go to a restaurant - where you need another seat to place it on or leave it with the coat check person, who probably does't have a clue as how it should be placed? And what about the inevitable mess it makes of your hair (unless you have a a crew-cut or shorter) even in the winter months? I don't really know if there are good answers to these questions, except grin and bear it, wear it, but just wanted to get some feedback.

Here's a question for the Fedora cognoscenti out there. Now, I have about a dozen or so Fedoras - straw and felt. Admittedly not a huge collection, but probably more than I need. I like the way Fedoras look - if you got the right hat, it adds a certain "thing." And they are functional - in the summer, keeps the sun/UV rays off your face and head, in the colder weather, keeps your head warm and when it rains can keep your head dry (though I think most of us are better served using an umbrella).
BUT, BUT, BUT, when waking around town - or wherever, what do you do with them when you choose to go inside a store or mall - hold it in your hand? Or go to a restaurant - where you need another seat to place it on or leave it with the coat check person, who probably does't have a clue as how it should be placed? And what about the inevitable mess it makes of your hair (unless you have a a crew-cut or shorter) even in the winter months? I don't really know if there are good answers to these questions, except grin and bear it, wear it, but just wanted to get some feedback.

d62a76a7c31836ce3472168e1fe56676.png

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR