Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
anyone in the Denver area willing to help me out with a deal ?
a seller in Denver refuses to ship to NJ
hit me up if interested ... I'll make it worth your effort
Will he just not ship to NJ, or does he not want to ship anywhere? If he'll ship to Oregon, have him ship it to me. If I can't stretch it to 23-3/8", I'll send it your way. Kidding... if he ships to me then I'll ship it priority mail straight to NJ. But no ammo. :cool:

bimfi

New in Town
As I am new to the world of hats and hat terminology, I have a few questions. That was my preface in case I asked a stupid question. Anyway, I see the term "vintage" as in vintage fedoras. Does this refer to a style of fedora or an actually used fedora from years ago? Are people purchasing hats that were manufactured in the Forties and Fifties, or are we talking about the style of hat from that era that are manufactured today? I'm sure I sound naive, but that is that way I learn, by asking these questions. Thanks!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
As I am new to the world of hats and hat terminology, I have a few questions. That was my preface in case I asked a stupid question. Anyway, I see the term "vintage" as in vintage fedoras. Does this refer to a style of fedora or an actually used fedora from years ago? Are people purchasing hats that were manufactured in the Forties and Fifties, or are we talking about the style of hat from that era that are manufactured today? I'm sure I sound naive, but that is that way I learn, by asking these questions. Thanks!
I hate the word vintage unless it is used connected to the ball park year of production of the hat .... for example ... "a Playboy of 40s vintage"

but the word is thrown around ... and when it is they mean hats that are not modern production

some are used ... well most either heavily or lightly ... some are dead stock or new old stock ...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for clearing that up. I'm guessing that most of these "vintage" hats will be found on eBay or Etsy or maybe some hat manufacturer overstock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
now you are fishing for trade secrets ... and I'm not your guy :)

I kid

eBay... Etsy... estate sales.... antique stores... garage sales... other collectors ... some guy who used to work for a hat shop and has stacks of dead stock pieces in his closet that he never wore ....etc etc

it's all about the thrill of the chase ... the "diggin in the crates" as they say around my way

often the more work you put in the more felt you get out

... and sometimes another lounge member tips you off to the absolute honey hole ... wink wink

Part of the problem is that some sellers will use vague terms like "vintage" to draw attention to whatever they're selling regardless of whether or not the item in question actually is vintage, and others will use the term simply because they think the item is vintage but don't really know themselves. It's often a case of "Let the buyer beware" and the best thing you can do is to collect as much information as possible and do your own homework so you can make an educated (or semi-educated) decision.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since my last entry on another thread did not show the pictures I thought I might should repost my questions about this fedora. I had no reply the first time.

Here is a Dobbs I recently acquired. The first question I have is do you think it's 1950s or 1960s? I would think 1950s except the brim is only 2". It's in mint condition. I really don't think it's been worn. Had I realized it was a 2" brim I would probably have passed. But somehow it slipped past me. These are the seller's pictures. The hat was very dusty. No pinch just a center dent.

Second question. How common is it for a fedora not to have a pinch? Only a center dent.

Third question. Any suggestions on the dent/pinch? Leave as is or change?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Since my last entry on another thread did not show the pictures I thought I might should repost my questions about this fedora. I had no reply the first time.

Here is a Dobbs I recently acquired. The first question I have is do you think it's 1950s or 1960s? I would think 1950s except the brim is only 2". It's in mint condition. I really don't think it's been worn. Had I realized it was a 2" brim I would probably have passed. But somehow it slipped past me. These are the seller's pictures. The hat was very dusty. No pinch just a center dent.

Second question. How common is it for a fedora not to have a pinch? Only a center dent.

View attachment 71781

View attachment 71782

View attachment 71783

Sweet lid, Bill! My guess on age would be circa 1960, but I've been wrong. Have you spent any time on the Dobbs Diner thread to compare?
As to question #2, it was a common style to be pinch-less for some variations of the center dent hat.
As to question #3, I say leave it for now. It's just a variation of style, and might work into your own, as well. Sometimes we let the hat decide.
ENJOY this nice find, sir.

View attachment 71781

View attachment 71782

View attachment 71783
Embrace the stingyness! I have quite a few hats with a 2" to a 2 1/4" brim, if it fits and looks good-wear it! I would think the center dent is pretty standard, the refinements of a diamond with a great pinch is up to you. Look at the Hat Creases threat for inspiration. As to the age, probably late 50s. The liner tip does not tell the whole story, we need to see the Dobbs imprint on the sweat. First, does it have a slant? a carriage logo? There is a dedicated thread for Dobbs an you can learn much about dating there. I have one very similar and wear it often. Good find my friend. Noggin shot is the next step.

Sweet lid, Bill! My guess on age would be circa 1960, but I've been wrong. Have you spent any time on the Dobbs Diner thread to compare?
As to question #2, it was a common style to be pinch-less for some variations of the center dent hat.
As to question #3, I say leave it for now. It's just a variation of style, and might work into your own, as well. Sometimes we let the hat decide.
ENJOY this nice find, sir.
+1 Sage advice, the hat always knows best...

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Embrace the stingyness! I have quite a few hats with a 2" to a 2 1/4" brim, if it fits and looks good-wear it! I would think the center dent is pretty standard, the refinements of a diamond with a great pinch is up to you. Look at the Hat Creases threat for inspiration. As to the age, probably late 50s. The liner tip does not tell the whole story, we need to see the Dobbs imprint on the sweat. First, does it have a slant? a carriage logo? There is a dedicated thread for Dobbs an you can learn much about dating there. I have one very similar and wear it often. Good find my friend. Noggin shot is the next step.

Like I said these are pictures from the seller. So the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The liner and the size tag make me think 50s. But a 2" brim pushes me toward the 60s. Here are the only photos of the headband.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner