Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sweet lid, Bill! My guess on age would be circa 1960, but I've been wrong. Have you spent any time on the Dobbs Diner thread to compare?
As to question #2, it was a common style to be pinch-less for some variations of the center dent hat.
As to question #3, I say leave it for now. It's just a variation of style, and might work into your own, as well. Sometimes we let the hat decide.
ENJOY this nice find, sir.
No I had not found the Dobbs Dinner thread. But I will go through it tonight.

Like I said these are pictures from the seller. So the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The liner and the size tag make me think 50s. But a 2" brim pushes me toward the 60s. Here are the only photos of the headband.

View attachment 71801
View attachment 71802
I'm sure more knowledgeable minds will chime in, but late 50s would be my guess. We may be able to tell more when the hat is in hand and clues from UNDER that nice looking sweat can be examined. The Dobbs dating section of the Hatted Professor website is a fantastic resource, bookmark it, read the whole thing, pack a lunch though.

Since my last entry on another thread did not show the pictures I thought I might should repost my questions about this fedora. I had no reply the first time.

Here is a Dobbs I recently acquired. The first question I have is do you think it's 1950s or 1960s? I would think 1950s except the brim is only 2". It's in mint condition. I really don't think it's been worn. Had I realized it was a 2" brim I would probably have passed. But somehow it slipped past me. These are the seller's pictures. The hat was very dusty. No pinch just a center dent.

Second question. How common is it for a fedora not to have a pinch? Only a center dent.

Third question. Any suggestions on the dent/pinch? Leave as is or change?

View attachment 71781

View attachment 71782

View attachment 71783

It looks more like a homburg IMHO

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Since my last entry on another thread did not show the pictures I thought I might should repost my questions about this fedora. I had no reply the first time.

Here is a Dobbs I recently acquired. The first question I have is do you think it's 1950s or 1960s? I would think 1950s except the brim is only 2". It's in mint condition. I really don't think it's been worn. Had I realized it was a 2" brim I would probably have passed. But somehow it slipped past me. These are the seller's pictures. The hat was very dusty. No pinch just a center dent.

Second question. How common is it for a fedora not to have a pinch? Only a center dent.

Third question. Any suggestions on the dent/pinch? Leave as is or change?

View attachment 71781

View attachment 71782

View attachment 71783
looks late 50s to me .... plenty of hats in the 50s had narrow brims

and pinching is simply a preference ... this hat likely came open crown and pinches have simply not been applied

for the third question ... crease it as you and the hat see fit

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
looking for a little help from my brethren

the topic is dust covers ... those cellophane dust protectors for hats that go over the crown and brim for storage

I've gotten a few from hat stores like Bencraft and JJ in the past when buying hats ... they would throw me a little stack but wouldn't sell any

I also had Michael Gannon send me a few with one of the hats he sent me ... but he to was pretty protective of giving away too many

the only place I can find that sells them (100 per pack) is a place called Capas Headwear and they for some reason refuse to return my emails

so two questions ...

1) do any of you have a lead to these dust covers ?

2) would any of you who have some be willing to break me off a few?

I'm always willing to help out my FL family with anything I have ... I'm hoping some of my good deeds around here come back to me here :)

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
looking for a little help from my brethren

the topic is dust covers ... those cellophane dust protectors for hats that go over the crown and brim for storage

I've gotten a few from hat stores like Bencraft and JJ in the past when buying hats ... they would throw me a little stack but wouldn't sell any

I also had Michael Gannon send me a few with one of the hats he sent me ... but he to was pretty protective of giving away too many

the only place I can find that sells them (100 per pack) is a place called Capas Headwear and they for some reason refuse to return my emails

so two questions ...

1) do any of you have a lead to these dust covers ?

2) would any of you who have some be willing to break me off a few?

I'm always willing to help out my FL family with anything I have ... I'm hoping some of my good deeds around here come back to me here :)
If anyone finds these, I'd be willing to buy some, too. They protect the brim when the hat is boxed.

I just sent an email to Mike Miller to see if he can tell me where he buys his...

It's funny you should bring this up, @moontheloon , I tried on 5 hats this morning before I finally left the house, one of which was my black cherry Gannon... which had 2 of those plastics covers... one on the inside and one over the crown, and I stole the one from the inside to use on the crown of my taupe Royal Stetson...

Last edited:

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Fedoras in Amsterdam - I just landed here with a bunch of random meetings around the city - any accessible vintage or other shops where I might check out some fedoras? I only have today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I walked into a random second hand shop between meetings, found a pile of hats and walked out with 3 for 50 euros. 2 are fine but nothing much, but the 3rd was a just beautiful Dermotta Wien. Going back for work in a month so will get more organised!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I walked into a random second hand shop between meetings, found a pile of hats and walked out with 3 for 50 euros. 2 are fine but nothing much, but the 3rd was a just beautiful Dermotta Wien. Going back for work in a month so will get more organised!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pick up a couple more. Always think of the large headed fellow loungers, anything like a 7 1/2 or bigger would be a blessing to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner