1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Hat Masterson

Hat Masterson Familiar Face

Can anyone direct me to Stetson dating thread or other information source? I thought I saw one on here but cannot seem to find it.

Just Daniel likes this.
  2. Hat Masterson

I actually wear unlined fur felts a lot of the time.

3. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Whenever you want to find something in the lounge, just google it.
    "Stetson dating the fedora lounge" should give you access.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Bill Hughes likes this.
  4. Just Daniel

Just Daniel A-List Customer

I think the Doc is giving the best answer. There are several threads on the subject for dating by Stetson liners, size tags, and crests as well as questions for individual hats and models. They pop right up on google.

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  5. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I have a whole bunch of fedoras, but I've only bought one cap, from Jonathan Cordova (speaks Spanish, so I liked him right away), but I haven't received it yet.
    I didn't really like them, until I saw a couple of Alan's (@alanfgag), and decided I should have at least one for my collection.

I know nothing about caps. I ordered an 8/4 in silk, because I live in Mexico City, and besides I dislike the feel of wool. I know what an 8/4 looks like, but why is it called an 8/4? I know it has 8 panels, but where does the 4 come from?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

6. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Have looked through the SunBody Association thread? Lots of applicable information there.

For a discounted price (but no custom modifications) you should go to http://www.one2miniranch.com
    The owner is a Lounge member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jhoff_1979 and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Seconded. He doesn't carry the full range of Sunbody hats, but if he has the style you want you'll get it for a lower price and receive excellent service.

8. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Jhoff_1979 likes this.
  9. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Yes I have read every post there ,not too much about cracking there ,just wanted to make sure before I order one.
    Do you still like your 2.5 inch better than your 3 inch brim?

Thanks for the link but I have already been there and I am looking for an open crown and did not see what I was looking for there.

Thanks again

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Yes I am interested in getting an open crown fedora regular palm in a lighter color in no more than a 3 inch brim and did not see one there.

Thanks

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. Steinbockhase

Steinbockhase One of the Regulars

Interesting idea. Sometimes I buy nice vintage hats, even if I don't like their particular style.
    So I have some experience in changing the appearance of a hat with different crown shapes and switching color and width of hat ribbons. I am starting to experiment with interior hat liners.
    An easy way to alter the color of a bounded brim edge would be nice, but I can't imagine any kind of practical solution that will actually work well and look good.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    deadlyhandsome and Rmccamey like this.
  12. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

Zombie_61, jlee562 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  13. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Yes, I prefer the 2.5” which is unusual for me as I’m almost always looking for more brim. I just put my 3” on eBay. To be honest, I think I wore a SunBody hat maybe three times in 2018, so I’m not the expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Well I went ahead and ordered this Hat
    5 1/2 open crown ,Ventilated and with the Brim cut down to 3 inches
    Got the Khaki bound edge with the Light blue 5/8 inch hat band
    Probably going to figure out how to make just a slip on hat band and Make me a couple of different colored hatbands as I think that the Khaki edge will go just fine with almost any color
    [​IMG]

15. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack One of the Regulars

The ventilated crown should do you better than the eyelets I have in mine. As far as the ribbon goes, the one that comes on the hat is a slip-on elastic one. Definitely nothing to write home about, but it serves its purpose. The one on my hat likes to wander in certain places which gives me OCD, so I'm often having to adjust it back to looking straight and even. Zombie has used pugs on his hat and they look quite nice, so that's always an option and it helps spruce up the hat a little.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  16. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

From my reading about the Sunbody Hats it seemed as though the main gripe about the hats were that it was somewhat warm to wear in the heat,so I figured I would try the vented hat to get around that issue.

When Making the Pugs what material do most like to use?

And I see that some use pins to hold them to the hat,some use hooks and some just tie on.

I wonder which method would best serve the purpose of being able to quickly and easily change to a different color band?

Just A Hat Rack and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. Hat Masterson

Anybody ver build their own hat over at Panama Hats Direct? What was your experience with?

Rmccamey likes this.
  18. Antinomy

Antinomy New in Town

Hi all!
    After blocking and ironing the brims don't smooth for 100% and have little wave. I can't understand what i do wrong?
    Maybe someone had the similar problem?

19. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

I've built a couple, but have bought more from their listing of ready-to-go inventory. There have been a couple of short delays, but never any disappointments; only great value for whatever quality of lid you select.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  20. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack One of the Regulars

They aren't exactly the coolest hat to wear. In all honesty wearing a hat in the heat isn't ideal when wanting to keep cool anyway, other than keeping the sun off your head, which the SunBodys excel at. As I mentioned before, the nice thing about them that you can't necessarily get away with with other hats is that you can soak them, which does obviously provide some comfort in the summer heat, and also maintains the "health" of the palm.

As far as pugs go, I have no experience in working with them, so I will leave any further advice to the experts.

Zombie_61 likes this.