1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. You might want to start out with just a bandana. Pugs are not as easy to make as you think. You can buy the kind of pugs you are talking about making pretty cheap:

https://www.shushans.com/sixthpage.html

To make a good pug requires a lot of cutting & sewing to get the pattern to work. They are often made from neckties. Check out the old posts of MikesPens here on FL. He has some beautiful pugs on his Panama's. I think some of them were made for him by Bob at BSHW from ties & other fabric Mike provided. Not easy to do if you want something nice.

2. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

I cant imagine not wearing a hat or a cap when outside as I have been doing so for over 50 years.
    Helps to keep the sun out of a mans eyes and off his head and rain off the head and out of the eyes as well.
    Plus if you have to take your hat off you may have hat hair but that is better than looking like you combed your hair with a firecracker because of the wind.

Thanks for the links

Rmccamey, Zombie_61, M Hatman and 2 others like this.
  3. tsores

tsores Familiar Face

On some hats the brim goes out straight from the crown while others have quite a curl(?) to them. What is the proper term for that curl?

4. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Which brands had a "100" hat?
    I know that Dobbs, Stetson, Knox, Churchill, MacLachlan, Cavanagh, Resistol, and Bailey did.
    Were there any others?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

5. Steinbockhase

Steinbockhase One of the Regulars

There are numerous hat brands that sell 100% wool :)

Jhoff_1979 and drmaxtejeda like this.
  6. Tukwila

Tukwila One Too Many

I have a few 100x hats.... VS, Gannon, NW Hat Co, Penman.... :)

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  7. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Depends.

Older bowlers might have a D'orsay curl. See Brad Bower's in depth history at: http://www.thehattedprofessor.com/derbydeconstruction.html

Other than just calling it a "curled brim" the most common terms are pencil roll and kettle curl. The former being a smaller curl where the edge of the brim points upwards. The latter curling the brim over until the edge points back to the crown.

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  8. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Jared/jlee isn't wrong, but I think he might be referencing brim curls that are more specific than what you're thinking of. In general, that upward "curl" as you get closer to the outer edge of a hat's brim is formed on a wood forming block known as a "flange":

[​IMG]

The crown of the hat goes through the hole in the center (upside down), the brim is formed to the shape, then it's usually covered with some type of cloth and tied with string/twine to hold it in that position until the felt takes the shape of the flange. These flanges are made in varying sizes and shapes so hatters can create a variety of brim shapes. As such, that upward curl on a hat's brim is often referred to as "the flange" and, depending upon the amount of upward curl, can be referred to as having a "shallow flange", a "deep flange", or anything in-between. On a fedora with a deeper flange it's easier to snap the front of the brim down because the shape puts a bit of tension on the felt, which helps to hold it's shape. Shallow flanges equal less tension, so the brim on a "shallow flange" hat won't snap down or stay in that position as easily.

9. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Jeez, Z, thank you!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

hatsRme and Zombie_61 like this.
  10. Just Daniel

Just Daniel A-List Customer

11. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Just Daniel and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

I cant imagine not wearing a hat or a cap when outside as I have been doing so for over 50 years.
    Helps to keep the sun out of a mans eyes and off his head and rain off the head and out of the eyes as well.
    Plus if you have to take your hat off you may have hat hair but that is better than looking like you combed your hair with a firecracker because of the wind.

Thanks for the links[/QUOTE]
    I got the Sunbody hat Saturday ,I got the ventilated open crown 5 1/2 inches tall and had them cut the Brim down to 3 inches and put a Khaki edge on it and a light blue 5/8 hatband.
    I put a center crease on the hat with a crown pinch about 2 inches wide.
    I first tried a height of 5 inches for the front of the crown,too high ,next I tried a 4 3/4 inch height and looked pretty good,then I tried a 4 1/2 inch crown height and my wife liked that the best so for now anyway that is where it will stay.
    fairly shallow dents.
    I am to get several different colored bands.
    Thinking about trying a 7/8 band.
    What do you think ? View attachment 156954 IMG_0968[1].JPG [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  13. Xylophile

Xylophile One of the Regulars

Here's an observation about the vented crown: if the crown pushes down on your hair then the venting may not be as effective as you'd like. My hair stands up straight and i had to steam a pushed up crown in my Akubra Country Club, after that the breeze would go through the hat and through my hair which I noticed was more comfortable as I could then feel the breeze go over my scalp. And, when its hot its just hot and that's that regardless of the hat!

Zombie_61, Rmccamey and Dm101 like this.
  14. Peters Brothers:

[​IMG]

Peter_Bros_100.jpg

[​IMG]

Jhoff_1979, DRB, RJR and 9 others like this.
  15. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^PB makes Fortys and Fiftys too.

Rmccamey and Zombie_61 like this.
  16. And a Seventy Five (older Bankers Special or just cheaper?).

[​IMG]

17. codyiscool

codyiscool New in Town

is it faded? It hasn’t seen a lot of sun. I just wear it backpacking. It’s seen snow and rain. Is it possible to get it back to be more brown?

https://imgur.com/gallery/ufKt57Q

18. carouselvic

carouselvic My Mail is Forwarded Here

looks dirty to me....try cleaning it with a hat sponge and a vac.

hatsRme likes this.
  19. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Of course Vic is right! It looks like it needs a good cleaning, but it should be fine then. From your description, my bet is you might have broken a sweat, that is beaded up on the brow a bit there, bro, resulting in salt deposits in the felt. Like this one!

Looks almost broken in!

20. codyiscool

codyiscool New in Town

Is that how ppl clean these? I’ll look up hat sponges